“I would do this again in a heartbeat”
Review of Duke Lemur Center

Duke Lemur Center
Ranked #8 of 81 things to do in Durham
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Two of my friends from Philadelphia Zoo and I visited Duke Lemur center. We loved it!!! Lemurs are my favorite animals. I love all animals but I love lemurs best. We did the regular tour and highly recommend it to everyone. We also did the training tour and the free range tour. If you can only do the regular tour that in itself is worth the trip. I got to meet the Aye Aye I have adopted as well as many other species. One was a bush baby and one was a slow loris. Both prosimians but not lemurs. I am so glad that I got to meet Romeo before he left us. What a wonderful, beautiful animal.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very interesting place. Only problem there were 15 people in our tour so it was hard to get close enough to actually see the animals

1  Thank jermoore
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My children and I first learned about lemurs watching the childrens' show Zaboomafoo, so naturally I started to research where we might be able to see them. Thankfully, just an hour away is the Duke Lemur Center. We went on the Lemurs Live tour where we learned about the similarites and differences between the Lemur species. The tour was said to be 60 minutes long, but it may have been a little longer with all the questions being asked.

The lemurs are gorgeous. My favorite was the Slow Loris with the big eyes! You can't help but to say awwwwww when you see it! My kids loved the Ring-tailed Lemurs best and they were also excited about the baby lemurs which created another awwwww moment :-) I think everyone ought to visit atleast once!

For the Lemurs Live tour that we attended, it was $34 (2 adults & 2 kids). They also offer four different tours during different months. All are said to be 60 minutes long, but have different prices and age requirements. Tours are availble by appointment, so make sure you schedule in advance! If you're bringing a camera be sure that you are able to turn the flash off because the Lemurs have reflectors in their eyes and the flash from the camera can be very hurtful to them. I didn't have luck with my camera, but I was able to get some very cool postcards with up close pictures. All proceeds from the gift shop go into the care/research of the Lemurs.

Lemurs Live!
Adults - $10.00/Children(3-12) $7.00
Seniors(60+) $7.00
College/University Students w/ ID $7.00
Group (10+ participants) $7.00
_______________________________
Walking with Lemus
May-October, $95 per participant, ages 8-adult, maxium group size (8)
______________________________
Learning with Lemurs
$150 per participant, ages 13-adult, maxium group size (2)
______________________________
Behind the scenes
November-April, $65 per participant, ages 10-adult, maxium group size (8)
Tour lenght - 60 minutes

1  Thank 2kidsahusbandandadog
Reviewed 27 March 2012

An ideal tour for families you will learn about what makes lemurs some of the most fascinating animals in the world. You will typically observe about 10 different species of lemurs and be sure to bring your camera, as you will be amazed by these wonderful creatures!

You do have to make reservations prior to touring, usually you can get in on the same day if you call early enough.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

The lemurs are lots of fun to see. They are very active and chummy with each other. We got a guided tour and the guide told a bunch of little schoolkids that they (mankind) developed from creatures like these. She didn't mention that this was a theory and that not everyone believes this. The children were there without parents so there were no countervailing viewpoints to be had from parents that might believe a divine force had something to do with their being here on earth. Oh, well, this is Durham. Stay long enough and you'll get numb to it.

1  Thank Donna G

Been to Duke Lemur Center? Share your experiences!