“Home Away From Home”

Duke Tower Suites and Condominiums
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed at the Condo for 2 weeks in June 2013. We requested the nicer room which included vinyl flooring instead of carpet and larger TV's. I was there with my two young daughters. It was perfect for us as my teenage daughter was taking a class on the East Campus at Duke which is a short walk away. We simply loved the outdoor courtyard because we could get outside and play chess and enjoy the sunshine. The condo also has a very large pool area and several shaded outdoor sitting areas which allow you to escape the confines of your room. The price is very reasonable and the rooms are quite spacious. The kitchen is not very well stocked with pots and pans for those planning a lengthy stay, but you can manage. For a lengthy stay, with children, or if you like to get outdoors, this place is perfect!

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room with a view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I cannot sing the praises of the Duke Towers strongly enough!

The staff were more than friendly and accommodating. They have an on site shuttle service for pick up/drop off at the airport, service to the Duke Hospitals, and if they are available, help with groceries (Durham, regrettably, is very car dependent) for a reasonable fee (Duke patients and airport trips have priority).

The grounds of the complex are like a secluded hacienda, with two stories of condominiums (one bedroom apartments) surrounding a lush garden with nooks and crannies, great division of space, swimming pool. My daughter spent a great deal of time watching birds (cardinals and mockingbirds) chomp from the feeders and feeling the balmy southern breezes drift the scent of gardenia and jasmine. Very restful, serene, and languorous.

The apartments themselves were very clean and well appointed. Be sure to bring your toiletries! The kitchen was clean and in my unit had a microwave, coffee maker ((with filters), dishwasher, fridge and stove (and I think a toaster). There is a dinnerware service for four. Pots and pans: one small saucepan and one medium skillet. I couldn't get the can opener to work, so maybe bring some of your own basics.

Overall, a great travel bargain, with a unique non-hotel homey feel. Perfection!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Four of us stayed for 2 nights at the Duke Towers. We pulled up late at night and were immediately not impressed. The outside is dated and old. The parking lots were also worn down and there was a pile of rubble near our entrance point. The area is borderline safe for Durham as a whole. I wouldn't walk around by myself at night, but during the day- no problem. The inside our our little condo was neat. It was a table, chairs, sofa, tv, kitchenette with refrigerator, average sized bathroom and a small room with 2 double beds. The walls were all white with dated 80's decor, which we really didn't care about. The beds were super comfy! We were all pleasantly surprised by how well we slept. The kitchen comes with a coffee maker but no coffee, so we bought our own. This hotel is more of a place for temporary residency or older folks. We did, however thoroughly enjoy the courtyard area. There is a large pool which is very clean. There was life sized chess!! We brought our own corn hole boards (long story) and enjoyed them outside for a while.

Overall the area is not the best but the inside of the condo is clean and functional with comfy beds. It is close to all of downtown Durham and close to the 9th street area. I would stay here again as it was funky and different.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Aylmer, ON
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place is better than Average but not Very Good. It is clean, well-priced, the staff is good and I didn't mind the dated decor that some have complained about. The Continental breakfast is not very continental -- everything is packaged, from the coffee in a tea bag (see my review of a nearby coffee place, Cocoa Cinnamon, and go there!) to the cellophane muffins. It's housed in the tower and it's worth the walk up the spiral stairs to see the photographs of children working in the mills though. The wifi drove us crazy. It was on and then it wasn't and there were too many sources. I consider this an essential service and this needs to be addressed by the owners.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank abcpastor
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at this Inn recently for two nites. It is a cheap economy hotel. The room, kitchen and bathroom were most ordinary. The cabinets were cheap and painted white. The bathroom was stocked with towels etc which was helpful. There was no coffee or breakfast available at hotel either. I guess this hotel/condo is useful for someone who is staying for a few weeks. But not if you are staying for a short duration, and if not used to staying in motels. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Recently, due to an unexpected occurrence in my rental home, my cats and I needed to find a temporary residence for about a week. A friend recommended I call Duke Towers. From the time I arrived, until the day I left, I had nothing but good experiences dealing with the staff. They were more than kind. The room was very clean, the grounds were beautiful, and the location really convenient. The outdoor pool was such a pleasant surprise. I would recommend the Duke Towers to friends and family anytime. Staying at Duke Towers really made what started as a really tough week, turn into a more pleasant week.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank colleendugganrigby
Archers Lodge, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Best mattress at a hotel ever! Friendly, helpful staff; no stress, low cost shuttle to DPAC; gorgeous pool and grounds. The suite was basic, but very clean with lots of towels. The pool is open late, so we were able to see a show, eat and come back and swim some. The AC worked good and again, the mattress was very comfortable so it was a really good night of sleep.

Room Tip: Should probably go for the upgraded rooms ($10 more) for the better living area TVs, if you are goin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple