“Finally, an authentic Cuban restaurant in town!”

Old Havana Sandwich Shop
Ranked #84 of 790 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a living wage, farm to table Cuban restaurant in Downtown Durham, NC. We specialize in locally sourced, pasture-raised slow-roasted pork.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Enjoyed the authentic cuban fare here. The slow-roasted pork is a must! Staff is great and accommodating. Prices are very reasonable. When we were here, they gave us free made-from-scratch ginger and Lime sodas--really good! Just wish they will expand the menu a little bit more to include other Cuban staples like ropa vieja, yucca, chicken dishes...etc...

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I went to this place on Sunday, February 15, with my girlfriend for Sunday brunch. We arrived around 11:30AM and the place was getting packed. Luckily, there was a small table for 2 that we sat at but there was not much room for 3 or more people.

The cashier was well-informed about the foods and gave us great recommendations on what to try. Their brunch plates menu consists of Cuban sandwiches with some variety (I got the El Caney that had avocado in the Cuban sandwich), Cuban brunch plates, and various cuban coffees and drinks.

The El Caney was delicious and my girlfriend's traditional cuban sandwich was also great. What really amazed us was the Cuban coffee and the maduros (fried plantains)! Both were really good.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I had lunch at this restaurant, and I have to say that the food was very good--the pork was tender and flavorful, the beans and plantains were delicious. The air, however, was a different story. I'm not sure whether it's because it's in an old building or because it's not well-ventilated or if it was just a bad day, but it smelled strongly of smoky food--not unlike a greasy spoon restaurant, but more smoky than greasy. If you don't mind that, then you'll definitely enjoy the restaurant, but since I was unaware of this issue before I went, I wanted to make sure others know and can plan accordingly.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

the Cuban sandwich was amazingly delicious. The pork is very tender, and the ham is cured in house. Quality ingredients make this sandwich something to come to Durham for! yum.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Informal sandwich shop in downtown Durham near DPAC and the Justice Center. Friendly folks and pleasant informal service. A bit noisy when full with some lovely but noisy Latin music. Sandwiches and platters. Veggies. Red and white wine and beer all fairly priced. Had a sampler plate with different kinds of fried pork and tasty rice and black beans. All tasty and well done but very fatty - not a light meal. Anything deep fried is delicious but this is not the diet platter. Well recommended for a quick lunch where calories and cholesterol are not the prime concern.