“Historic funky vibe with amazing cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mateo Bar De Tapas

Mateo Bar De Tapas
Reserve with OpenTable
Mateo Bar De Tapas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 762 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Durham, North Carolina
“Historic funky vibe with amazing cuisine”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Mateo is set in a historic building in Durham - it used to be the bookstore decades ago. The staff was very knowledgeable in helping us choose from the menu, and kept the amazing delicacies coming - each one better than the last. We had a few specialty drinks which were nice but not altogether memorable. The food though, was very memorable. We couldn't figure out how to order for our party of eight, but the waitress knew the secrets. It ended up being extremely expensive, but for a special night out for my family celebrating two birthdays, it was absolutely perfect.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Allison D

Trenton, New Jersey, United States
“Cool place off the beaten path!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Cool place off the path
Was looking for something different and found it
Could have been in NYC but who knew in Durham NC

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Eric S
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place for "apps" when really want dinner”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We went with a group of 5 women. We got the corner table by the window. We had all been there before but not as a group of 5. The setting was great. The restaurant has dim lights, long wood bar and a long narrow-ish feel to the restaurant. The food was delicious. We ordered a lot of different options (sometimes multiple of the same plates). There was more than enough food to go around. We treated it as a dinner which is probably the best way to eat at this restaurant. I have been here in the past and thought of it more as an appetizer experience and left hungry and feeling like I over paid (which I find to be the case at most tapas restaurants). I would recommend this place for an evening with friends, but treat it as a dinner in that you will pay around $20-30 depending upon whether you also order drinks and how many people you are there with.

Durham, North Carolina
“Great food for special ocassions”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The food at Mateo is some of my favorite in the area. After being in Spain, I have to say that many of the menu items are not quite the pintxos you'd find there, but the Mateo menu is damn good and the inspiration taken from pintxos is apparent. Everything we ordered was delicious and nothing disappointed us. Our favorites included the bone marrow and chicken skins. It does cost a bit, so we only go on special occasions. The wine selection is good and the atmosphere is comfy but trendy. The menu has something for everyone and many interesting selections. The servers are helpful with recommendations if requested. Do make a reservation, though, especially for a party >2 people.

• Visited May 2014
Raleigh North Carolina
“Amazing place for lunch”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I don't got to Durham very often, but I will be going more often just to eat here. The lunch at Bar Mateo is awesome. I went for the seafood the last two times I was there. The mussels, shrimp and clams were fantastic. I also love the shaved meats they serve. The last time I went they had two tapas for $10. They have a great wine list. They have a large list sherries as well. The service as well as the atmosphere is great.

Visited June 2014