“"So damn good!"”

Ranked #54 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood, American
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Raleigh
“"So damn good!"”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

was my first thought when I tasted the creamy crab & grits, which were smooth, buttery and downright delicious. I first ordered grilled fish, however when I saw "crab grits" written on the blackboard, I changed my order. Oh, how happy my mouth was that I made the change. I strongly recommend this dish; utter perfection (and it was only $8). Thank you for the person who wrote about crab grits. I thought about going back to order fish to take home, however I will wait until my next visit to Durham (already mentally re-arranging my next few weekends to allow a repeat visit. Yes, its that good).

I went just before 5 p.m. on Thursday. There was no line - likely due to the rain. I was on my way within 10 minutes. My food was still hot when I sat down to eat about 10 minutes later. I plan to go back (I know I already said this; I am affirming for myself :-D).

• Visited May 2014
mrmoor, Owner at Saltbox Seafood Joint, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Jim, We apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. We appreciate all of the honest feedback you and your wife shared. We have philosophy of " No excuses, Make Changes".Even though we did not meet your expectations, we will used your critique to make improvements in the areas where we can change.

Respectfully,

Ricky Moore, Owner

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Fair weather lunch spot in up and coming area”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

It is hard not to like fried foods. Our fish sandwich and monk-fish platter were a good example for this statement. The daily menu is written on a chalkboard and the seafood offering consists of sandwiches (really a split open hot dog bun) topped with a bit of slaw and platters where the bun is replaced with sliced fried potatoes and slaw. Sodas, tea and lemon punch (sans alcohol) are your drink offerings. Expect to pay a bit more for your food being served in what appears to be recycled paper trays. There is take-out available or you can sit at communal pick-nick tables between the roadside stand and the street. There was a jovial atmosphere that came to a sudden stop when the first raindrops hit. Our food was good but it does not warrant a detour or the extra journey.

• Visited May 2014
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
“Great local fare”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you want fresh seafood with local flair and home style cooking, this place is worth a look. Take out food only, though can be eaten on site at a few picnic tables, is prepared to order. Expect to wait 20 minutes to order and another 20 for your food to be cooked. Just outside of downtown area proper.

Visited April 2014
Chapel HIll, NC
“Top quality food cooked to order inside the shack, party atmosphere on the outside”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We came for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon, walked up the oyster shell path, and found a long line of people waiting to place their orders. It was a sociable atmosphere--everybody talking to everybody, with those who had eaten at Saltbox giving advice to all of the newbies. As the line progressed, Chef Ricky came out to erase the menu items that were no longer available. We were lucky to get to the front of the line in time to order an absolutely terrific lunch. Between us we got a Lake Trout Roll, an order of Crab Grits, and Home Fried-style Potato Chips with Peppers & Onions. Everything was delicious, and the Crab Grits were sublime--it was impossible to tell where the crab ended & the grits started--just a silky combination of smooth & delicious crabby creaminess.

Once you place your order, the chef cooks it up, and his friendly assistant calls your name when your food is ready. In the meantime, you wait out front with the other patrons. There are 4 picnic tables in front of the building, and people sit together and talk. Everybody is super friendly, and it's a really fun atmosphere.

This is not the place to go if you're looking for fast food or cheap food. Nor is it the place for an intimate, luxurious indoor setting. It is the place to go for thoughtfully-prepared, super fresh food, of excellent quality, served in a casual setting, cooked by a Culinary Institute of America-trained chef, who's been on Iron Chef, and who really knows what he's doing. We'll be back soon!

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank ChapelHIllBev
Cleveland, Ohio
“AMAZING food!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This little place is one of the best meals I've ever had at a restaurant. There is so much flavor in all of the food and it's clearly made with a lot of love. I was a little hesitant to spend $15 on a meal from a shack on the side of the road, but it was the best investment I have ever made. We will go back again and again. In fact, I brought my mom there again last week...

Visited February 2014