“Pain aux Raisins!”
Review of Loaf

Loaf
Ranked #6 of 13 Bakeries in Durham
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Loaf features artisanal breads, pastries, and cookies baked in the brick oven at our Parrish St. Location. The styles of loaves include Baguettes, RyeKorn, Olive, Polenta, Seeded Rosemary, Sesame, Challah, Whole Wheat, Pain de Campagne, and Multigrain. Pastries include Pain au Chocolates, Nanaimo Bars, Gougeres, Croissants, Cinnamon Rolls, Strawberry Bread Pudding Muffins, Fig Scones, and Caneles de Bordeaux, among many others. Loaf also has a variety of savory items like flatbreads (often vegan), bialys, ham and gruyere croissants, and croissants filled with sauteed mushrooms and greens that are available daily. We sell an assortment of local cheeses, Big Spoon Roasters handcrafted nut butters, and other delicious items such as jams and jellies (made in-house) that can be enjoyed with our breads. Counter Culture coffee, Maple View Farm milk, Honest Tea, San Pellegrino, Fizzy Lizzy, and Cheerwine are some examples of the beverages available in the shop. Call for special orders.
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

LOAF is brick-oven baking heaven, but the sublime pain aux raisins trumps everything they create. These baked gems conjure up
Paris like nothing else around. I dream about them - they're that good.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Wonderful spot within walking distance of other great spots in downtown Durham. Pain au chocolat was great but approx 2x the price that you'd spend in Paris. I wish there were places to sit inside. Would be great if they added some fresh juices (everything was bottled). Also carried locally made jams and peanut butter. Breads looked great for the next visit

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Loaf isn't a restaurant; it's a marvelous bakery. I've been wanting to try their bread since it opened, but we live about 20 minutes away, and it never happened. We took family on a waking/food tour a few weeks ago and we had the same gougeres and chocolate croissants that another poster mentioned. Great stuff, but the bread is what sets Loaf apart,I think.

I brought home a loaf of country bread. It was oven-crusty, flavorful, hole-y, sour, alive—and gone in a few hours. I had another variety of their bread in a fancy restaurant last night, and it was just as good.

It takes real dedication and long, long hours to make bread as good as Loaf's. I've talked myself into driving downtown this afternoon to pick up some more.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We ate here while on a gourmet food tour. We had chocolate croissants and a gruyere cheese pastry. I haven't been able to stop thinking about them since. SOOOOO good and we had a look of the back included as part of our tour, his brick oven and the passion he and his wife share about what they do is awesome.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I get baguettes regularly and they are always wonderful and for a special treat I buy their chocolate croissants. They taste almost like the ones in PARIS!

Been to Loaf? Share your experiences!