“Uniquely Intimate Dining Experience!”

The Little Dipper Fondue on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
The Little Dipper Fondue on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

This was our first fondue experience and we were overly pleased. We began by nestling into a 2 seat wrap around booth that made it intimate. Our server Matt was very knowledgeable of the menu which contained many, many options. Being our first time we took up many of his recommendations on dipping sauces and cooking broths.

The first course of local cheeses was amazing and our salads were very crisp and tasty. The fun begins with the entree that is cooked by you the customer. Cooking your own entree bite by bite allows for interaction with your dinner date and not just a constant feeding of your face.

We finished off with the fruit plate and milk chocolate to dip it in. We left stuffed to the gills and completely satisfied with our choice of The Little Dipper.

2  Thank Crystal C

Reviewed 24 October 2013

What a great experience. Even though I was traveling for business and ate alone, this was a truly unique experience. The food was awesome, the service was great, and I had a wonderful time!

1  Thank lesliecothren
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We were staying with friends who live in Durham, who had gone to this restaurant before and really liked it. It has a great location and good atmosphere. The staff was very helpful and friendly. But , if we hadn't had our friends with us, I don't now if I would ever have figured out the complicated menu with so many courses. There were so many choices to be made, and it required more thought than I am used to. But, when all the questioning, explaining, and choosing was done, and the drinking and eating could begin, it was a very good dining experience. First course we choose our cheese, into which was dipped various fruits, veggies, and bread cubes. Then, some of us had salad, and some had soup - a very rich and tasty lobster and sweet potato bisque. After that, we had our entree; we had chosen sea food which was cooked by us at the table in a boiling broth into which we had placed cut up vegetables. The seafood was tuna, scallops, and shrimp. None of us had dessert because we were too full after all the fondues. All in all it added up to a very tasty and unusual dining experience.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I went with two other very pregnant friends to Ladies' Night at The Little Dipper to celebrate our upcoming arrivals. I was the first there, and was glad to have made a reservation. The host actually asked me if a booth would be okay (I mentioned we were three pregnant women in the reservation) and I asked if I could try it out. When my 38-week belly wouldn't work at the booth, I asked for a table instead and he was happy to oblige. The second from my party soon came and we were seated at a table. The third was stuck in traffic and we notified our server. There was absolutely no pressure to go ahead and order or leave the space.

When the third came, the server described how ordering for the table worked and also what made Ladies' Night different (no salad course, proteins a little extra, and $9! a person). We were impressed with the separate menus and also considered ordering from the locavore menu (what a great idea!), but learned that most of the cheeses there were unpasteurized and therefore not appropriate for the expecting moms. We chose the havarti dill cheese and added a platter of shrimp and chicken for $7 (not each, total). When that came out, the server added the wet ingredients into the bowl at the center of the table on top of the induction burner and the cheese slowly started to melt. And we were in heaven! The breads, veggies, and proteins were fantastic and the cheese was delicious but not overly herbacious. I found the shrimp to be a bit more tasty than the chicken, but when everything was covered in cheese, it didn't really matter! When you are not there for Ladies' Night, you have the ability to actually cook your raw proteins at the table as well.

The server also recommended to us the "faux-jitos" which were mocktails made without alcohol. We each had a refreshing orange pomegranate drink made with soda water and other mix-ins. Great for the summer!

After our main course, we were given the difficult choice of choosing our dessert chocolate! There were six main options, and we went with a half peanut butter, half dark chocolate mix that actually came to the table as half-and-half in the bowl. There was also a choice of all-fruit or the classics, which had both fruit as well as pretzels, cream puffs, and marshmallows. In addition to the chocolate, there was another dipping bowl filled with sugar, cinnamon, and I think graham crumbles, into which you'd dip your dessert after putting it into the chocolate peanut butter. This was absolutely fabulous, and we finished the entire bowl of chocolate peanut butter.

This is an amazing bargain for a Wednesday night, and we definitely ended up feeling full. Even with the add-on of the protein plate and a non-alcoholic beverage each, each bill ended up being only $16.50! I would strongly recommend reservations for any night, as when we left around 8:15 PM, the place was packed. Further, the serving staff could not have been more friendly and thoughtful about our dietary needs. I can't wait to go back and indulge in the more sinful desserts, such as the chocolate with some liqueur inside!

1  Thank valie520
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The food was great, and the ambiance is fun with a little eclectic side. Good for a friend's get together or a date night out. Comparable to the Melting Pot, but more fun, original, and local. Great local sourcing for food and drinks.