“Terrible place. Our room was given away”

Hilton Garden Inn Durham/University Medical Center
Ranked #1 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Boise, Idaho
“Terrible place. Our room was given away”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I had made reservations 3 months in advance for 6 nights. When we arrived around 10 pm we were told that they were "oversold". No room was available. I have probably stayed in 500 or perhaps even 1000 hotels and this has NEVER EVER happened to me before. So incredibly incompetent. AVOID this terrible hotel.

Stayed April 2014
8 Thank FrequentTravellerDK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel while attending a seminar at Fuqua. The hotel is great for several reasons: it still looks to be relatively new, is only a few minutes from Duke's campus, and is close to restaurants and all sorts of great amenities (including a Whole Foods). The hotel also had its own snack/ convenience stand which was nice fir forgotten items. I have to return to Durham for a graduation in May 2015, and this location will certainly be at the top of my list.

North Carolina
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This HGI is better than most. It is the newer style construction with larger rooms and a much nicer common area. I found the finishes to be better than most HGI properties.

The rooms themselves are really not that large - but it is an excellent use of space so they feel much larger than they actually are.

I had a suite - very nice and lots of room. The sliding doors are such a smart idea. So much better than typical doors.

Large spacious bathroom - large tub - all good. One quirk was the toilet paper holder which was too close to the toilet. It would easily be moved to the shower side and would fit better. But hat isn't a big deal.

The shower is a center drop rainfall style. That was unusual. It is also a very big step to get into the shower. short people and kids may find that a challenge.

The property is away from the freeway so there is no problem with road noise. However - there is a train that runs beside the property and I heard four or five trains go by in the time that I was there. Next time I'd ask for a room on the side of the hotel that does not face the train.

The food was good and the service excellent.

I'd stay here before I'd stay at the Durham Hilton - this is much nicer.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
warsaw, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Very nice hotel and the hotel staff were excellent. Close to Duke University....hotel shuttle service was a big plus (anywhere you wish to go within a five mile radius). Definitely recommend staying at this facility.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Joseph H
Saluda, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Great place to stay. We were visiting Duke Clinic and this location was great, the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I only had to deal with the front desk while checking in, but she was very friendly yet professional. I will definitely stay here again on our future visits to Duke.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is a great and convenient place if you're visiting Duke's- seems to have sprung up overnight. Very comfortable room, helpful staff and good breakfast. Highly recommend and prefer it over the Marriott which is where I stayed last time I was here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed here during a small conference that used the hotel and adjacent meeting for meetings. I can't think of anything about the hotel that I did not like. The staff was wonderful. The first morning I discovered that my in-room coffee maker wasn't working so went downstairs to get a cup of free copy from a table just outside the restaurant and informed the front desk about the coffee maker. The front desk staff not only remember my room number but also called me by name. I was back in my room a half hour later and a maintenance person was replacing the coffee maker with a brand new one. Later in the day, not only did someone from the front desk ask me if the new coffee maker worked, but I ran into the maintenance worker and he asked if it was working as well. The staff here was about as friendly and attentive as I've seen in any hotel I've ever stayed. The bar staff was friendly as well and gave good recommendations for local restaurants. I'm not sure I'll ever get back to Durham, but if I do, I'll definitely stay here again.