“It was amazing!”
Review of Nana's Restaurant

Nana's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Nana's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 797 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$80
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: James St.
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had the most wonderful meal at Nana's last weekend. We enjoyed the five-course wine dinner, and I believe it was one of the most memorable meals I've ever had. From the baby asparagus to the Kobe beef to the chocolate lava cake, it was wonderful. The service was perfect, attentive and close at hand, but never intrusive.

I can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I was so disappointed with Nana's, I want to share it so that no one else has this experience!

I wanted to take my husband out to a nice dinner for a special occasion- his birthday. I found Nana's online based on all the positive reviews. The menu looked tasty, but a tad pricey. I chose it based on all the glowing comments left by yelp, opentable and tripadvisor users. I've found restaurant reviews super helpful in the past, and they have rarely steered me wrong. Sadly, this was one of those times! Everything about Nana's was awful, and I was so embarrassed that I had chosen this restaurant!

We arrived right on time for our reservation. Although the restaurant was only half full, we were seated at a table right next to the kitchen door. The constant flow of people in and out of the kitchen was very loud and distracting. Our waiter was abrupt and awkward. He took our order and brought us the drinks we ordered, but basically ignored us from then on out. We watched him help tables around us. Another waiter comes around with fresh baked bread. We watched him go around to all the tables except for us. Our appetizers came. They were tiny. Miniscule. I had the gnocchi and he had the foie gras. The foie gras was two quarter sized pieces of liver and had a fly in it. The gnocchi was overly salty. For entrees, I had the steak with sweet potato gratin and he had the lamb. Again, the portions were tiny. I understand that portions are smaller in fine dining (there's a tradeoff between quantity and quality) but this was ridiculous. The lamb was probably 3 bites in total. The gratin that came with my steak was tasty, but one side of it was undercooked. I expected a lot more for almost $30 per plate.

We didn't stay for dessert. Our whole sad adventure at Nana's lasted maybe 40 minutes. They clearly wanted us in and out of there. As we were walking out I noticed that the place wasn't even full. There were a number of tables still empty which had been empty when we came in!

I wish I had chosen Magnolia or Four Square. All of my experiences there have been great. I wanted to try something new and it absolutely backfired. My husband was disappointed on his birthday, and I felt so guilty for having chosen Nana's.

I want people to know about my experience so that they don't make the same mistake. Maybe the service/food is of variable quality, or maybe they were having an off night. I don't want to go back to find out.

4  Thank cmd276
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The food is great, atmosphere lovely and service excellent. Desserts are especially delicious. You will enjoy this fine dining experience.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We went to Nana's for our wedding anniversary.
We read great reviews and really wanted it to be special and before the visit I was ready to give it all five starts, but, unfortunately, I can't.
The staff is very attentive and the menu is quite extensive.
At first I was surprised to see no salt/pepper shakers at the tables, but after we were served bread, we could see why. Even bread was too salty. Then my first course (I ordered prix-fixe deal) arrived and it was too salty as well. When my wife tried it she called our waiter and asked him to pass the message to the kitchen to reduce amount of salt in her scallops. Unfortunately, when her scallops arrived they were way too salty and she had too send it back. When she described her experience a day later to her colleague, he said that he has also had the same experience at Nana's.
However, I have to say that the chef stopped by and apologized for salty scallops (he said he accidentally salted them twice). Of course, this being a respectable establishment, the scallops did not appear later on the bill.
We have also got free desserts for our anniversary. And their special (foie gras, the warm version) was really delicious.
All in all, given the way we have been treated I still consider it a good place.

1  Thank Michaelfe
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Crowded. Noisy. Not sure the food is worth it either. Ok place for something different.