“GO NOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vin Rouge

Vin Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 764 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$21 - US$40
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th St.
Description: Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.
Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
“GO NOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The food is great!!! The service is great!! If you like great french food this is your spot! Always busy get a reservation. Outdoor seating is awesome!! Get the Mussels and everything else!

Visited May 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Astonishing seafood plates”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We ordered a medium seafood plate and it came with surprisingly huge and delicate 3 layer plates. Great values! The service was also flawless. We enjoyed a lot and had a great night.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Always a great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Vin Rouge is probably my favorite restaurant in Durham. It's consistently fantastic food, whether you go for dinner or brunch (and I love brunch!) While their menu doesn't change often, it doesn't need to. It's french bistro food, and darn good. The atmosphere is cozy and a little dark, the way it should be. Their onion soup is easily the best in the triangle. The pate and charcuterie plates are thoughtful and their liver "tastes like my mom used to make it, but better" said my Bosnian friend. Any excuse to come to Durham for a meal, sit at the bar and talk to Roy or lounge on the patio, I try to take it. The only thing that is inconsistent about Vin Rouge is the service. most of the time it's great with professional servers. But everyone has an off day and I understand that. I will continue to come here as often as I can.

• Visited May 2014
Raleigh, NC
“Great Brunch & Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Macaroni and cheese to die for! You may want to split this with your dining partner. Can be "busy" and crowded upfront but the backroom is a little more "private" and quieter. Depends on the atmosphere your'e seeking. We've eaten brunch and dinner there and like them both. Brunch is an outstanding value. will definitely return.

• Visited December 2013
Irvine, California
“Impeccable Service, Near Flawless Food, Amazing Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Oh, I will never forget the sweet, tender, and dee-licious fried sweetbreads I ate at Vin Rouge! (The dish was listed on the menu as an appetizer, but I requested it as an entree'--oo-la-la.) My cousin and his girlfriend ordered from the prix-fixe menu. Their dishes were a lovely hanger steak and beautiful nicoise salad. My dish didn't include a dessert, but when I saw their chocolate mousse... You know what happened next! I was in ecstasy, savoring every bit of that chocolate heaven, lick by lick, s-l-o-w-l-y. And I have prepared Julia Child's chocolate mousse at home many times, using nearly every pot and bowl I owned at each time, but this one topped the Vin Rouge mousse. The server brought a large bowl to our table, and scooped out three balls of decadence per plate. My cousin's girlfriend ordered the lemon tart and said she enjoyed it very much. (She didn't care for her pate, but my cousin and I tasted it and thought it was lovely, if a tiny bit salty.)

The service was professional, friendly, and accurate.

The prix-fixe dinners were priced at $25.00 each; to call it a bargain would be a huge understatement. The total bill for dinner for the three of us, including 3 coffees, sparkling water, and one aperitif, came to $98.85, excluding tax and tip.

The lace fabric dripping from the ceiling light fixtures lent some Frenchiness to the decor and also softened the very crowded dining room. We know why it was crowded, don't we!?

• Visited April 2014