“Excellent Food and Service”

Yamazushi Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #205 of 774 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$0 - US$85
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We visited this restaurant for a special celebration. We had stopped by without a reservation before and wondered why we couldn't get in when there were plenty of empty tables. The chef prepares each eight-course meal in advance and the wait staff presents his creations on ceramic dishes the chef has also created. It was an amazing experience and well worth waiting for a reservation!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sharron H

Durham, North Carolina
“Remarkably creative, fresh and delicious.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Wow!!! Truly remarkable, memorable meal. Fantastically creative, unique, artistic, delicious and fresh. This food is on par, perhaps better, than Fearrington House. The atmosphere is serene, not as posh as Fearrington, but the quality of the food and the presentation is superb. Excellent, friendly service too. Each course was a work of art. The sashimi was rolled up to look like a beautiful flower. Amazing.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank israelfan
Raleigh, North Carolina
“One of the BEST Kaisaki Japanese restos in the East Coast!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Ate here on our anniversary and loved everything about it! The ambiance was relaxing and really quiet as they only cater to adult clients (would be nice if they reserve one day a month where kids can come so they can have this cultural experience as well)...Food was excellent--all carefully prepared form scratch by the chef. The plating was a work of art!!! Pricey yes, but definitely worth the money! If you love sushi and seafood with a REAL Japanese kick to it--this is THe place to go!!!

• Visited December 2013
Barcelona
“Traditional Japanese with Adorable Quirks”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I went here for a Thanksgiving meal with my mother. Having lived in Shanghai for several years, we often made trips to Japan together, and our last Christmas meal was spent at a ryokan (traditional Japanese spa) with a kaiseiki meal (several course-meal based upon the season and seasonal ingredients). Naturally, when we heard that there was a kaiseiki restaurant so close to our home, we made reservations right away.

The first course - an amuse-bouche, was an eggplant seasoned to perfection. My other favorite course was by far the sashimi and sushi dishes - despite living in Asia I had never had raw scallop and the texture was velvety and succulent. I was sold, it was a beautiful beautiful dish and wonderfully prepared.

All the dishes were served on beautiful, unique ceramic ware and made each course a treat to experience - almost as much as the delicious food. All in all, our experience was a little over 2 hours, and because the restaurant was so small, we had wonderful conversation in a great atmosphere.

The proprietress was helpful and did a great job explaining each course and I learned a lot about Japanese culture and tea-making that day. I'm going to do my best to tell my co-workers and colleagues about this place, it is tucked away in a strip mall and I hope it gets the credit it deserves.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank MMBA85
“Authentic Japanese”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I grew up in going here just living a minute away from this gem. My dad often traveled to Japan for work and whenever his peers came to visit he would Always take them here. They could not believe that a place in NC, USA could be so authentic. You can even sit on the floor.

2 Thank Koconutpinksoda