“Best near-Cuban food we have had in this area.”
Review of Blue Corn Cafe

Blue Corn Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Corn Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have only been there once, my wife has been three or four times, This is a mash-up of our opinions. This is (to my knowledge) the only place around here that serves something that I consider close to Cuban food. The flavorings and combinations were very much like what we used to get in Ybor City.
Service was exceptional, always attentive but not intrusive not overly familiar. It never took more than 30 seconds from the time I thought I wanted something until it was on the table. Food was very good, I considered the price cheap for what we got, main course for both, today, was plantain pecadillo, total before tip $33 with an appetizer and coffee. It is small, unpretentious, in a corner of Durham that is a hot box of fine restaurants, close to the very fine Metro-8 steak house and Vin Rouge bistro.

There are newer reviews for Blue Corn Cafe

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Tried this place out because it showed up on a gluten free app I use. The food (chicken tacos with rice and beans) I got was pretty tasty and reasonably priced. However, if they just made a change to separating out their corn and flour fryers, the options could have been so much greater! Would have loved to have had queso or guacamole, but couldn't have the chips! They do have a stew that is GF, but only one size option, so you can't add it as a side cup. Not a bad option if people are looking for Latin flavors, but if you are going for GF options, they are there, but not as plentiful as they could be.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The salmon tasted fishy, not fresh. The homemade salsa was too hot even for my partner who loves spicy and the flavor tasted burned. They didn't have any fresh lemon slices either! This is a $$$ priced restaurant and the food is not up to par. It was a Saturday night and very few people in the restaurant. I guess I now know why. We will not be going back. However, our server was very friendly.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Of the two times I've been here, service has been both good and okay. Nevertheless food across the menu has been good to the stomach and the eye. The atmosphere is calm. There is one television for sports but I think the sound is kept off. And as others have noted, it is moderately priced.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Blue Corn is one of the only places I will eat "south of the border" food. It's an unfussy but personality-filled place, with good food in decent portions, a varied menu spiced up with interesting specials, and friendly, competent service. Lots of options if you're a vegetarian. Very family friendly. A great asset to the neighborhood dining scene. Sit outside if the weather permits, you'll get a great view of life on one of Durham's main thoroughfares.