“Great experience”

Fairview Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Fairview Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #103 of 763 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$35 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Science Drive
Description: The Fairview Dining Room has come to define Durham fine dining with its "regional neo-American" specialties and impeccable service. The Fairview's elegant ambiance only adds to the overall experience. Every meal at the AAA Four Diamond, Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star rated restaurant is executed with culinary mastery and meticulous attention to detail.
Birmingham, Michigan
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

On a college tour we had the opportunity to have dinner at the Fairview. We just arrived and it was getting late, we thought we would just eat at the hotel. The service was excellent as was the food. The shrimp and grits were excellent. The crab cakes were all crab meat. The sweet potato made an excellent accompaniment. The flavors were blended to perfection. Be sure to stop when visiting Duke.

Visited October 2013

Summerfield, North Carolina
“Don't miss this one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Superb culinary execution, fresh & imaginative to classic. The piano player is a delightful touch! We went for dinner one night and then brunch on Sunday - both experiences were excellent.

Visited August 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Stop reading the reviews and make a reservation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is a review of my dining experience a The Fairview Dining Room in the Washington Duke Inn from Saturday August 10, 2013.

After driving 5 & 1/2 hours my wife and I arrived at the Washington Duke Inn around 3;30pm. My legs were tight from the trip so I put on my running clothes and ran for an hour. After showering it was around 6pm and the search for somewhere to eat in an alien environment begins. We wanted the 'cruise ship' experience in which you simply go downstairs and enjoy a great meal without putting a lot of thought into it. So many times the reality of a bad restaurant in a good hotel sours your expectations. You know you are going to pay out the *ss for horrible food because you are in a hotel that serves hotel food - but you hope you will be wrong anyway.

We arrived at the hostess desk around 6pm without reservations. The couple in front of us apparently were having issues with their seating because the hostess remarked to us that she appreciated that we were 'not picky'. She does not know my wife.

Men should wear dress business casual. You can get away without a jacket or with one if you choose. This restaurant is not pretentious, snooty, or whatever you call it when the help treats you as if you really do not belong in the restaurant but they will try to bear it until you are done eating when they will all go in the back and laugh at your absurd mannerisms. On the contrary, it feels like ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen - or if you prefer eating a grandma's house without the emotions.

The prices might raise your eyebrows until you are served the food. My wife ordered Seared Salmon @ $26 and I ordered American Snapper @ $27.. We both added salads @ $8 each. She had a classic Caesar Salad while I had a Caesar Salad made with Kale.

The wine list included local wines. I tried a North Carolina wine: Shelton Valley Merlot @ $10 per glass. It was a surprisingly good wine - I had to order a second glass.

and the service was crisp. Not four minutes after ordering a waitress was delivering our salads. The kale was a surprising pleasant flavor in a Caesar Salad. The Kale is greener and less watery than romaine lettuce. The dressing was perfect - not too acidic or vinegary. I enjoy anchovies in Caesar Salad and had asked the waiter if the salad had anchovies - i was pleasantly surprised that the anchovies were not freshly removed from a can packed with oil but rather were actually fresh anchovies. The portion size was appropriate for a first course in a two course meal.

shortly afterwards, probably ten or fifteen minutes later, the entrees were delivered. Now, too fast service makes you wonder also. It makes you wonder why the hell you are told sorry excuses for slow service when the Fairview Dining Room can get the food out tasting just the way it is supposed to taste. The fish was cooked perfectly - white crumbly portions of snapper that was not watery without any fishy smells. Great fish tastes like pure water. The seasonings should enhance the flavor of the fish and the seasonings certainly did. The vegetable accompaniments were just as good as the fish - the caramelized spiced cauliflower made me rethink the best way to cook cauliflower.

Yes, I had dessert. My advice - order any of them.

The total meal with tax, and tip came to $168 for two people. Was it worth it?

What are the negatives? This would have been the best meal ever if the dining room wasn't so frigidly cold. Bring a jacket just in case.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mark M
London, United Kingdom
“Extraordinary culinary creativity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I have eaten in amazing hotel restaurants from Barbados to Bali and back and I have to say that the food in the Fairview restaurant at the Washington Duke Hotel is some of the best in the world. Their use of local produce and creativity in combining flavours plus the gorgeous presentation makes me happy again and again. This is the third time I've been fortunate enough to visit the area and eat here and I hope I'll be able to come back again. My 10 and 13-yr old were also really pleased with the menu. I loved the abundance of vegetarian options, my son flipped for the bacon risotto. In a word, exquisite.

• Visited June 2013
Miami
“Very good decor and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Ate here on graduation weekend and were quite pleased with the decor and service. The food was good, but not great for the price. Everyone in our group was pleased with their meals, but not overwhelmed. All in all it was a perfect place for a graduation celebration because the atmosphere was most important in this case. Prix fixe dinner ended up $100 a person all in.

• Visited May 2013