“Absolute favorite sushi spot”

Shiki Sushi House & Asian Bistro
Ranked #141 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

BOGO sushi, how can you beat that? Oh, right, by having it be phenomenal sushi! I LOVE this place! Favorite sushi spot ever, I make sure I stop in every time I'm in Durham! I've been going since it was a little hole in the wall and with their great food and all-the-time running BOGO sushi special, they've exploded their business, expanded their original location in Durham, and now branched out into multiple locations. Can't speak highly enough about this place!! Only complaint is sometimes service can be a little slow

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Shiki has moved since I last went there. It's in another low-rent strip mall, but hat's OK with me. It's a fair deal; I'll go to the ghetto and you can spend the money you save on the rent on the tuna, yellowtail, snapper, mackerel, and salmon.

Anyway this ghetto shopping center is close by the big boys - close to Southpoint Mall and the sushi remains very good. With the "buy 1 - get one free" deal you can get by without spending too much, I think we spent $70 for four of us and had quite a bit of sushi.

The only thing I would change is the menu design - it is a little complicated, but really since ithe sushi is all good that doesn't matter too much. This is a good choice.

1  Thank UnclePen
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Neighbors got us hooked on this place back when it was a tiny fraction of its' growing scene. We enjoy going as either date night, or to meet up with friends who also appreciate good sushi.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Tried this for the first time after my stepson recommended it-the place was
fun and great atmosphere and very good prices. That being said, the food
was up and down. The hot and sour soup was exceptional, the miso pretty good, the rolls were just OK, certainly not the best in this area, but they are
"buy one, get the second free" - they actually subtract the lowest priced roll out of 2 from your tab. Great, but the rolls were served even before our apps got there, and the crunchy shrimp was not very crunchy and just OK,
and not very memorable. Would go back since it's close to home, and try some cooked items from the VERY extensive menu.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My first dining experience at Shiki Sushi was over a year ago. The sushi I had was over-priced, small portioned and had mediocre flavor.

My second dining experience was today when some friends wanted to get together for lunch. I gave it another try and can't say I'll go back again on my own accord. . I started off with miso soup which tasted more like water with tofu and seaweed. Definitely not the savory soybean based broth I've had at other restaurants. The sushi rolls had so much rice that I could barely eat them in one bite and once again, didn't have much flavor. I've had so much better at other sushi restaurants in the area for less money.

They redecorated and now have a wonderful ambiance. Not very Asian, but contemporary. They have a nice sized dessert menu which is rare for sushi restaurants. The service was good; our waitress was attentive and the chef personally brought our food.

If you want really delicious sushi, I'd recommend heading over to Akashi. Their rolls are 50% off all the time, not BOGO like Shiki Sushi. For example, we had 3 people and spent $60 on miso soup and sushi. At Akashi, the same dinner would be $45.

1  Thank Lauren S