“Delicious!”

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Absolutely delicious! The grouper tacos (3) were a perfect appetizer to share and were so very good. The grouper was lightly battered and fried, with a bit of tangy sauce that enhanced the flavor of the grouper. I could easily enjoy these as a main course. There were five or six entrees with seafood or meat, and four choices of vegetarian entrees. The scallops and grits had already sold out, so I went with the NY Strip Steak on top of a mushroom and barley mixture (similar to polenta), with zucchini squash and asparagus to complement. The steak was a perfect medium-rare and very tender. The mushroom and barley was so creamy, and had a wonderful texture. I skipped dessert, but my dinner companion had the guava-infused flan which was also outstanding. I can't wait to visit again and highly recommend as a "Must Try" to anyone who has not eaten here yet.

1 Thank CWms219

Cary, North Carolina
“Very Disappointed after Reading Previous Reviews”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Seeing ranked #1 in Durham restaurants, we decided to try. I made reservations, although they were not needed as the restaurant was almost empty at 6:30 on a Friday night. We had the vegetable quesadillas after seeing them recommended in another review. I have never tasted mustard before in a quesadilla in a Mexican restaurant, although it was the only taste provided. The chips and salsa were good--the chips homemade from tortillas--but we were not offered a refill and received a very small amount. Very disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
“Different spin on Mexican food”
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

I went to the restaurant with some coworkers. I liked the chefKs spin on Mexican food. The paella was amazing. The only complaint I had was the temperature in the building was a bit hot. I thought I was going to break out in a full sweat. Food was a little pricy but worth it.

• Visited May 2013
“Hidden gem, found at last”
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

Upscale Mexican cuisine. Salmon was perfectly cooked. The roasted vegetable quesadillas were delicious. Unique drinks in addition to the traditional margaritas. So many tempting choices on the menu. We will be back.

Visited May 2013
“Authentic Mexican gem”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Food was so fresh and delicious. Recently returning from Mexico this place ranks right up there with authentic Mexican dinners we ate in Acapulco. Love the home made tortillas. Fish tacos were excellent and the tortilla soup was amazing like grandmas homemade soup!!! Recently ate at border grill in Las Vegas very authentic Mexican this ranks right up there with it. The place wasn't very busy we were a little worried when we first walked in for lunch. However very happy we gave it a try . Will definitely be returning.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Tonali? Share your experiences!