“Biggest mistake!”

Ranked #22 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Newland, NC
“Biggest mistake!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel one year ago and loved it! This year has been AWFUL! They messed up our reservation and gave us a room that didn't have enough sleeping space. When I asked to be moved (and was willing to pay any additional cost) to the room I HAD booked I was told they were sold out. However, the GSR offered to give me access to another room next door for one of my children (the oldest of which is 8) to stay in by their self. There is no connecting door and that was the best solution the hotel could offer. My children wouldn't go for one sleeping in a room by themselves. I asked for a roll away bed and the same GSR (the only employee working in the hotel evidently) told me they didn't have roll away beds but "there is a Wal-Mart at the red light and you could buy an air mattress if you like". I was furious at this point so I called the Staybridge reservation line and finally was put on with guest services. Her solution was we could move for one night (still not in the room type I had originally booked) but would then have to move again the following night and the night after that and continue to move every night until Thursday when we checked out. Let me say again they wanted us to move rooms every night for 5 nights! I will NEVER stay at this Staybrige again not will I recommend it to anyone. As a result one of my children slept on a couch, one on the FLOOR (which I wasn't impressed with the cleaniness of but thankfully I had brought blankets) and 2 of us in a "studio queen sized bed" which according to Shaun with Guest relations for Staybrige is "smaller than a queen bed more like the size of a full size bed". I also asked for additional blankets and pillows to accommodate the serious mistake and was told by the same GSR that because the hotel was sold out there weren't any additional blankets or pillows. I was never offered an apology by the one staff member on duty not was I offered any compensation. We will be checking out 4 nights early and will be headed to a REAL hotel that honors return guests and understands what customer service REALLY is.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room is just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Rebecca H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2014

As a road warrior, I have lived more of my adult life in hotels than in my own home. I have been staying at this hotel now every week for the past several months so I get to see the bad as well as the good. I am very happy to report, I have seen no bad whatsoever!!! It is all good, from the greetings when I arrive until the "See you next week" when I leave.

I enjoy the fact that they basically leave you alone unless it is you who needs something then they are right there to assist you! I could not ask for any nicer staff than these guys and gals have been. The room is always in good working order and I totally fell in love with the bed and their linen choices. The shower has a great deal of pressure, which is actually hard to find and the internet is wonderful.

I have not heard any other guest complain about anything in the whole time I have been staying here either. The rooms seem to be well-insulated as I do not hear a lot of noise from other guests or hall traffic.

No meal room service available but the food they serve is hot, filling and quite tasty! I particularly enjoy the breakfast items they provide, complete with a bag to carry them in if needed.

I have not encountered any employee that was not happy, friendly, and eager to please! I will recommend Staybridge to all of my consultant friends in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Well I should have known this was coming from the one and only Diane P! Thank you so much for your kind words and awesome review! We pride ourselves on our amazing team here at Staybridge and I’m glad it shows. I’m sure we all know how difficult it can be to put on a smile when having those terrible days, but somehow these guys do it (personally I think they’re all paid actors/actress….shhhhh). Our breakfasts are hot and ready while our dinners are full and satisfying. Our rooms all come with full sized fridges and we are surrounded by restaurants so, there is never an excuse to go hungry. Extremely pleased we have been able to accommodate you and make Staybridge your home away from home. On that note, “see you next week”! ;)
missouri
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Booked room last minute and we were impressed by the accommodations. The location was very convenient to I-40 and Chapel Hill. The one bedroom suite was clean and very spacious. all linens needed for pull out couch were in room. the room was very quiet and the breakfast had hot items including cheese omelets.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Missouri5, thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at Staybridge! We love to see what our guests think we’re doing right and where we need some tweaking. We are located in a perfect central location if visiting universities or working in RTP. Glad you found everything to meet your standards and we will be pleased to have you stay with us again for any occasion. Thanks again missouri5!
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This is my first time at a Staybridge and it didn't disappoint. Very convenient location, well appointed clean room with a kitchen tea/coffee/popcorn when you need it, and nice staff (especially Andre who made sure we had all the breakfast we wanted, even at the end of the breakfast time).

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your grand review, emme45! We are pleased you gave us a chance and ended up finding a great place to stay. Andre, our kitchen staff has become the cheerful face our guests wake up to on the weekends. Hope to see you around soon!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Fabulous stay! This hotel should be #1 on Tripadvisor for Durham, NC!!!!!!

The reason why I choose to stay at Staybridge Suites is for the cleanliness and up-to-date accommodations. I use to stay at Residence Inn (OVER-PRICED) and Homewood Suites (OUT-OF-DATE DECOR), but I have found my new "home away from home" in Staybridge Suites.

Management, keep up the good work. It definitely shows!
To the wonderful staff, thank you for your great service! :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you Queen J for your gracious review! We strive to be #1 and we’re making our way on up there; one day! We love that your stays here have been up to your expectations and if ever a problem arises we hope you know there is always someone at the front desk to assist you. Once again thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write us a great review; till next time!
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at this location over Memorial Day weekend. Not only was the room comfortable & clean, the staff was very friendly & accommodating. My husband was meeting his sister for the very first time & the staff allowed us to use the lounge/dinning areas for a family get together. We brought in food & after the event the staff event helped clean up.
This is the second time we have stayed at this location & everything was very nice. The breakfast was hot & there was a nice selection for food & beverages. We also travel with 4 small dogs & the dogs loved the staff. There are many restaurants very close by as well as a grocery store & a pet store. We have family in Durham so we will continue to stay at this location in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello Pamela C! Happy to hear you’re still enjoying yourself when you visit the area. Thank you for taking the time to write us a lovely review; we appreciate all feedback! Yes, we do allow your furry loved ones to spend the night, however it does require a non-refundable pet fee of $75.00. I know our front desk staff loves seeing your pets and even keeps doggy biscuits hidden away for those good enough to sit. As I’m sure you know any time you need assistance our staff will gladly lend a hand. I can bet we’ll be seeing more of you in our future.
Upstate NY
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Staying at this Staybridge has spoiled us. It is very easy to get used to the full breakfast buffet and weeknight night happy hour with rotating menu. Taco bar, cookout, or if you happen to be very lucky, Carrabba’s Italian Grill night. Oh, and the rooms are fantastic, very clean, and we both got a great nights sleep every night we have stayed here. Minor issue with the TV reception this visit, maintenance fixed it minutes after I called the front desk. If you are in the area and can afford the Staybridge I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Oh how we love to spoil our guests! Thank you winter_escape_NY for commenting on your recent stay with us. Our staff comes into work daily ready to assist any and all guests, because here we work for you! Breakfast and dinner will make you want to never have to pick up a pot or pan again. If you are lucky enough to be here for our Carrabbas evening it may make you want to never leave! We are currently undergoing some changes with our televisions and are happy to help any guest with their issues. Thanks again for taking the time to write us a review. We’ll see you next time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Home2 Suites by Hilton Durham Chapel Hill
Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40
Hyatt Place Durham / Southpoint
Residence Inn Chapel Hill
Residence Inn Chapel Hill
#7 of 18 in Chapel Hill

Been to Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP? Share your experiences!