“Absolutely wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Nitro, West Virginia, United States
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel when my sister had brain surgery at Duke University. The staff was so friendly and accommodating, they shuttled us back and forth to Duke and cooked meals for the family three nights a week at no extra charge. Absolutely the most patient friendly hotel I've ever stayed in. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
MistyHoltzman, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are located between BOTH universities and BOTH hospitals making Staybridge one of the most perfect hotels for medical patients. Our shuttle can be a life saver for not only our medical patients, but for anyone needing a lift. Hours of operation run from 7:45am until 8:30pm Monday through Friday and runs on a first come first serve basis. When traveling on a budget our dinner social is a great amenity. Our dinner social happens every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday which comes with an entrée, side dish, salad bar, and of course many guests favorite draft beer and wine. Can’t wait to see you all back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Had a 5 week stay at this hotel and there were a few issues with the business center, printers regularly broken, and internet access problems during a 2 day period. Despite these issues (and every hotel will experience some type of problem), this hotel really gets high marks for the courtesy and helpfullness of their staff. Even when the business center printers were down, the staff at the front desk was willing to print my documents AND go out of their way to provide help with anything that was asked of them. Whenerver an issue within the room arose, it was remedied within 10 minutes of my request. Room was clean, orderly, and importantly, nothing in the room was tampered with or stolen while I was away. Lobby, hallways, and dining area were always clean but cloth seats on chairs could have used a little attention to remove some old stains. Staff would always greet me, free laundry area and fitness center were well maintianed, and pool was kept clean - guests seemd to really enjoy the ability to lounge and swim at the outdoor pool.
Complimentary breakfast is offered daily with well rounded selections; complimentary dinner on Tues, Wed. Thurs. but could use a little more imagination and creativity as they are only adequate. That said, there are many really good restaurants almost within walking distance and the staff was very helpful in providing a complete list, making suggestions, and providing directions.
This is a busy hotel; especially so because of the convenient location to shopping, universities, medical centers, the airport, and amenities at this facility. In reading some of the negative comments posted I can say that after 5 weeks of living at and observing this hotel, that some of the negative comments are unfair. There will be problems - even in your own home - and yes, people traveling are tired and stressed. Some are even medical patients with serious illnesses seeking treatment at the university hospitals near this hotel. I only observed (and experienced) that the staff at this hotel bends over backwards to make the guest's stay away from home pleasant and comfortable. This staff tries really hard to help and accommodate each and every guest in whatever way possible to meet the needs of the customer. I saw them in action. They worked tirelessly to keep this hotel clean, safe, inviting, and friendly. Am rating them a 4 instead of a 5, but with a little tweaking (new copy machine, no internet glitch, and clean dining chairs) this hotel will definitely be a 5 and will be my first choice for longer stays in the area.
Could not have been happier with this hotel and especially the attentiveness of the staff.

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor have higher ceilings which feels like you will have more space.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you kindly for your thoroughly awesome review, Xirie! We appreciate all of your feedback and don’t you worry we have taken care of that pesky printer in the business center. All guests can freely use the business center and all of its capabilities! Though you’re right we did not mind helping any guest(s) with their business needs. When a guest like yourself who stays here for your length of stay your become part of our Staybridge family. Our goal here at Staybridge is to make sure each and every guest receives the best service throughout their stay. It’s not about doing what must be done, but taking charge and going beyond what is asked to alleviate any situation. Our location, reasonable rates and our lovely staff does make this hotel quite popular, however we always try and make room for our great return guests. Anytime you need a place to rest your head our doors are always open. Thank you once again, Xirie, your review was outstanding and sure did put a smile on our faces.
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our first stay at a Staybridge, and it was a nice. The suite was large and clean, and the location of this hotel is ideal... Close to the interstate, dining, and shopping... Walking distance in fact... There was a good sized fitness center and laundry room, and while I didn't use either, they appeared to be clean with modern equipment... There was an outside pool that both my son's enjoyed... We all had a comfortable nights sleep, and the water pressure in the shower was better than average... For me, I was happy because I find most hotels have pathetic water pressure as they're apparently trying to save money... At this Staybridge, it was pretty good, which was a nice surprise... They offer a free breakfast, which was OK... The standard fare you find at most hotels that offer a hot breakfast... My only real issue with breakfast is that they don't open until 7:00AM, which is way too late for those trying to get up and get out early... Our only other issues were that our room was not ready when we arrived, and it took them over an hour to get it ready, and it's not like we arrived at the hotel early... In addition, there are no ice machines (that we could find) in the hotel... We were able to get some from the kitchen, but it shouldn't be this way... Our issues were minor and I would recommend this hotel without reservation...

• 4 of 5 bubbles
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you GoBa6864 for taking the time to write us a review! We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you at check-in time. Our housekeeping staff has been swamped recently with high volume check-outs and check-ins; great for business, but lots of work for our girls! We do not have ice makers located throughout our property, however our front desk staff is more than willing to help any guest with ice requests when needed. Our breakfast hours change throughout the week; weekday breakfast is served from 6:15am-9:30am and weekend hours are 7:30am-10:30am (so you can sleep in a little). Glad your family found our pool to be the perfect spot to cool down and have fun while our beds were comfortable so you could get a good nights rest. If you’re ever in the Durham/CH area our doors are always open!
Newland, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel one year ago and loved it! This year has been AWFUL! They messed up our reservation and gave us a room that didn't have enough sleeping space. When I asked to be moved (and was willing to pay any additional cost) to the room I HAD booked I was told they were sold out. However, the GSR offered to give me access to another room next door for one of my children (the oldest of which is 8) to stay in by their self. There is no connecting door and that was the best solution the hotel could offer. My children wouldn't go for one sleeping in a room by themselves. I asked for a roll away bed and the same GSR (the only employee working in the hotel evidently) told me they didn't have roll away beds but "there is a Wal-Mart at the red light and you could buy an air mattress if you like". I was furious at this point so I called the Staybridge reservation line and finally was put on with guest services. Her solution was we could move for one night (still not in the room type I had originally booked) but would then have to move again the following night and the night after that and continue to move every night until Thursday when we checked out. Let me say again they wanted us to move rooms every night for 5 nights! I will NEVER stay at this Staybrige again not will I recommend it to anyone. As a result one of my children slept on a couch, one on the FLOOR (which I wasn't impressed with the cleaniness of but thankfully I had brought blankets) and 2 of us in a "studio queen sized bed" which according to Shaun with Guest relations for Staybrige is "smaller than a queen bed more like the size of a full size bed". I also asked for additional blankets and pillows to accommodate the serious mistake and was told by the same GSR that because the hotel was sold out there weren't any additional blankets or pillows. I was never offered an apology by the one staff member on duty not was I offered any compensation. We will be checking out 4 nights early and will be headed to a REAL hotel that honors return guests and understands what customer service REALLY is.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room is just go somewhere else.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Rebecca H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

As a road warrior, I have lived more of my adult life in hotels than in my own home. I have been staying at this hotel now every week for the past several months so I get to see the bad as well as the good. I am very happy to report, I have seen no bad whatsoever!!! It is all good, from the greetings when I arrive until the "See you next week" when I leave.

I enjoy the fact that they basically leave you alone unless it is you who needs something then they are right there to assist you! I could not ask for any nicer staff than these guys and gals have been. The room is always in good working order and I totally fell in love with the bed and their linen choices. The shower has a great deal of pressure, which is actually hard to find and the internet is wonderful.

I have not heard any other guest complain about anything in the whole time I have been staying here either. The rooms seem to be well-insulated as I do not hear a lot of noise from other guests or hall traffic.

No meal room service available but the food they serve is hot, filling and quite tasty! I particularly enjoy the breakfast items they provide, complete with a bag to carry them in if needed.

I have not encountered any employee that was not happy, friendly, and eager to please! I will recommend Staybridge to all of my consultant friends in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Well I should have known this was coming from the one and only Diane P! Thank you so much for your kind words and awesome review! We pride ourselves on our amazing team here at Staybridge and I’m glad it shows. I’m sure we all know how difficult it can be to put on a smile when having those terrible days, but somehow these guys do it (personally I think they’re all paid actors/actress….shhhhh). Our breakfasts are hot and ready while our dinners are full and satisfying. Our rooms all come with full sized fridges and we are surrounded by restaurants so, there is never an excuse to go hungry. Extremely pleased we have been able to accommodate you and make Staybridge your home away from home. On that note, “see you next week”! ;)
missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Booked room last minute and we were impressed by the accommodations. The location was very convenient to I-40 and Chapel Hill. The one bedroom suite was clean and very spacious. all linens needed for pull out couch were in room. the room was very quiet and the breakfast had hot items including cheese omelets.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Missouri5, thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at Staybridge! We love to see what our guests think we’re doing right and where we need some tweaking. We are located in a perfect central location if visiting universities or working in RTP. Glad you found everything to meet your standards and we will be pleased to have you stay with us again for any occasion. Thanks again missouri5!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This is my first time at a Staybridge and it didn't disappoint. Very convenient location, well appointed clean room with a kitchen tea/coffee/popcorn when you need it, and nice staff (especially Andre who made sure we had all the breakfast we wanted, even at the end of the breakfast time).

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your grand review, emme45! We are pleased you gave us a chance and ended up finding a great place to stay. Andre, our kitchen staff has become the cheerful face our guests wake up to on the weekends. Hope to see you around soon!