“Dirty Linens Drop it a Notch”

Hilton Garden Inn Durham Southpoint
Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Located just off I-40 and across the road from the South Points shopping complex. Easy to get to and depart, in the middle of a major shopping area and centrally located for Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill.

Much as expected for a Hilton. Adequate common area (living room motif) and casual dining area of functional tables. Small food ordering area and small bar. Reception staff were very pleasant and well trained. They seemed happy with their work and knew what to do. We had a "corner" room which supposedly provides more space than a normal room (no extra charge). There was a large unfurnished square when you entered the room, so that must be the extra space. As it was empty, it didn't have much utility other than providing space.

Two very comfortable queen beds, large flat screen TV and the channels that one would expect. Small fridge and free Wi-Fi that was faster than most hotels. Nice toiletries and towels. Average clothes closet.

I was there for a week, so I had lots of time to get the feel for the place.

A few things that I didn't like. No safe. They can't be that expensive – put in room safes.

Our first night one of the beds appeared to have the linens from the previous guest. Linens were wrinkled and had the impression of a body. Also some pillows and the top sheet near the pillows smelled of perfume and lotion. Worse, there were several suspicious hairs between the sheets in the middle of the bed. It was 10:30 PM when we noticed this, so I felt I had to live with it as the housekeeping was most likely gone and I didn't want to repack and move to another room. The next morning I complained at reception and asked that housekeeping be sure that they replace the linens. The young lady at reception looked horrified – especially about the suspicious hairs. Sheets were replaced, but nothing beyond that. No message of apology, no note from the manager or housekeeping supervisor, no free piece of toast, drink, snack, etc. Nothing. The hotel had numerous notices of a "no-fee" policy if your room was substandard. I wouldn't have accepted a free room, but it would have been good form if the hotel had at least offered.

Also, the smoke detector had two bright green lights that blinked every ten seconds. Not a problem in the day, but surprisingly bright in the night and distracting when trying to sleep if facing the detector. Maybe the battery was low, or it was proud that it was functional. I inquired at the desk and was told that maintenance would look at it. Nothing changed and I never heard further from the hotel. I solved the problem myself by putting wet wadded tissue over each light.

A few small things: Free coffee in the lobby (thank you), but when the non decaf was finished on some days, it wasn't replaced. Also, when I arrived the coffee station had some small cardboard sleeves to help hold the hot coffee cups. Once depleted on day two, these weren't replaced either druing my stay.

Food wise, I didn't try the restaurant at the hotel, as the immediate area was teeming with places to eat. PF Chang, Chili's and a Mexican place within easy walking distance. Also SW Grill and some wing place a bit further. If you drove three minutes to the shopping complex, it had numerous places on the open-air pedestrian mall between the enclosed mall and the cinema.

Would I go back? Tough question. The soiled linens and hair issue is unforgivable at a Hilton. Also, the way management handled it either showed a breakdown in training/communication or a lack of concern. I realize that sometimes life doesn't go the way it's supposed to go and mistakes happen in housekeeping, but I can't accept the management's lack of concern. Had they acted differently, I would have had some more positive things to write on them.

Other than that, I found the place nice and very friendly, the room comfortable and the location (for what I needed) ideal. Had the linen problem not occurred, I would recommend this place without hesitation. However, now I feel that I can't trust the place to be a "real" Hilton and would need to look out for myself, as the management didn't appear to. I would use it again, but I would give the room a thorough inspection when checking in.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. More space for the same price.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 May 2012

quite good hotel for business trips to RTP (Research Triangle Park, NC). Not far to Universtity Area in Chapell Hill, huge Mall and Restaurants in walking distance. Very good experience with folks at reception and breakfast service team. Fresh omlettes and scrambled eggs to be ordered at open kitchen. Good selection at breakfast buffet. Ruth Chris (excellent but expensive steak house) within building.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This hotel has excellent service and is rather new and in great condition. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Hot snacks and beverages in the evening and a delicious breakfast provided for a pleasant stay. The rooms are average sized, yet comfortable. Although the internet speed was a bit slow, it was sufficient to catch up with work. I will definitely choose this hotel again for future business trips.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My son and I stayed here while visiting Duke. Our room was spacious, clear, and quiet -- pretty much all you could ask. Location is right by an upscale mall/shopping area -- if that is important to you. That said, it's a bit of a drive to Duke. So don't stay here if you really want convenience to campus. I assume there are other places at comparable prices that are closer

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank gbsand81
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed 3 nights while attending business meeting in RTP. It's exactly what you would expect - clean, comfortable, very courteous staff & service, decent breakfast. A bit sterile (as are most chain hotels) but I wasn't looking for charm, just a comfortable place to stay. Located about 1/2 mile from the freeway (I40), so access to hotel & commuting to meetings was a breeze. Perched at the edge of a huge shopping mall - I didn't make use of that but probably a plus for others. The only negative, and this was very minor, is that the windows don't open more than about 4".

Room Tip: Rooms on east side are quieter, but stay above 3rd floor because vents from kitchen? are located at...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We picked this hotel for its location. We weren't expecting much but ended up surprised! The staff were exceptionally accommodating. Both the bar staff and Concierge/front desk manager went above and beyond without hesitation.

Rooms were clean. Our children enjoyed the extra nook of space in the corner room. The pool was cleaner than a typical hotel pool. The rooms were not as loud as we generally experience in hotels and we were staying next to young children...we never heard them...just the shutting of the main door.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank sharding23
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Newer hotel and very well maintained. Service was excellent from arrival through departure. Evening manager special in the lounge provided complimentary hot snacks and drinks. Breakfast was a step above most and was quite tasty. Rooms were average size with comfortable beds. Internet access was easy to connect to, although speed was moderate, but overall adequate for my needs. Every staff member greeted you with a smile and a hello and were warm and inviting. I'll be back when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business