“College Graduation”

and 1 more site!
Durham Skyland Magnuson Hotel
Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is an old Best Western or similar type of chain hotel now owned by individuals. Knowing you are going to a Mom and Pop place your expectations should be on cleanliness and ability to sleep.
The owners and other family members were super nice and helpful, The grounds were clean and so was the room. They do have a few weekly rentals and the people who rent are the salt of the earth, actually, a lot of fun if you chat with them.
I met another family staying there, the husband was business traveller and thought it was fine, his wife was a bit pickier... We all agreed we there to hang our heads at night and not planning the vacation at the unit.
I'll be back, it is one the cleanest and quieter Mom & Pops in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bob L

Reviewed 1 May 2014

One of the worst motor coach experiences EVER!
My wife and I drove 9 hours from New Jersey to Durham, NC for a church program.

The accommodations was not fairly represented according to the photos on Expedia.

We can over look those issues.
The game changer was approx. 10:00pm we was trying to get some very needed rest...when all of a sudden we heard what we thought was guns shots.

The noise was so loud...that my wife jump out of the bed and hid on the floor in fear of getting shot.
I myself was startled, trying to figured out what was going on. the noise was continuous.

I figured that it was fire works. at this time I called Meta ( the owner of Skyland). I questioned her on what is going on? she stated that this was only going on for 20 minutes...incorrect time now approx 10:45. noise still very active.

Meta's response was that check out time was 11:00 am. Unacceptable...From a customer service stand point...we was never offered any compensation for another room or anything. I was also told by Meta that I could complain to any one I wanted, that the Durham Skyland was not affiliated with Expida or any other on line services.

It was at this time..that I told my wife that we had to leave immediately...I personally call the Durham County Sheriff to lodge my concern of the noise ordinance in the area. So I could have a 3rd party to document of our situation.

We had to risk our safety, due to the unsafe environment that this establishment had put us under.

Never again will we seek any refuge with the Magnuson establishment.

I would appreciate if someone would contact me. so I can assist that nobody else would have to experience that same ordeal!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank ENOR918
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have stayed here in the past a few times. The first time I was surprised that a small motel like this was maintained so well and the staff was very friendly. I admit it has been a few years since my last stay, and the first since it seems it was bought out by the parent company Magnuson.

When I got to my room the first thing I noticed is that it wasn't as clean or well kept as I remember. Also the was some perfume or odor that you cannot ignore when you open the door. I left the door open trying to get the smell out, but after a while had to just deal with it. By the time I went to bed my eyes were red and burning.

After I pulled back the bedspread, I noticed the sheets were all wrinkled, like they had been slept in before or left too long in the dryer and cooled. They didn't fit the mattress either, nor matched the color of the cover sheet. And that was it, for covers you got the bedspread and the cover sheet, no other blankets on the bed in the room. It made for a chilly night of rough sleep. A few times I had to get up and put the fitted sheet back around the mattress.

In the morning, I went to the breakfast area and was surprised to find no one else there, and the lights in the breakfast area weren't all on. I had to look and the time on the clock on the wall to make sure I hadn't arrived too early before it started. But it was 7:45am and not a soul around. I went into see what was offered and all I saw were some mini-muffins and a few honey buns, that was it. I see now why nobody had stayed for breakfast, there wasn't really one offered. On top of no food, there was some funk smell, not the heavy perfume in my room, but that of an odd unpleasant sort that would have ruined breakfast anyway.

I know this motel is cheap, but for the price you can do better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank IT G
Reviewed 26 April 2013

It is very clean, spotless I would say, this is probably the first thing I look at when deciding if I want to stay in a hotel room, and trust me, the owner of this place really did an outstanding job. The rooms are also nicely decorated, basically as nicely as you would have your own bedroom, with nice soft, clean linen, and a very "expensive looking" bedspread, not to mention that the price is REALLY right, especially if you have a coupon from the local visitor information center!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NiKkOsAn
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I've been staying here for many many years. I like that its really quiet and the surroundings are peaceful. In the past couple of stays though it seems to be heading toward failure. I think we were the only ones staying in the hotel one of the nights we were there.

The facility is older but the rooms are clean. The beds are pretty comfortable. Everything shows signs of wear. When we were there the wifi wasnt working and that was bad for me as I had work I needed to do. The heater/air conditioner was very loud.

When I went to check out the lobby was locked up tight and there was supposed to be breakfast.

The price is very reasonable but I dont know if I will be going back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This motel was excellent ! The owners were exceptional . Convience was great. Close to everything. Duke, chapel hill, Raleigh ,meban and hillsborough were all so easy to access from all the major hays.& interstates. Rooms were clean. Location was very quaint & quiet. The pool was great too. It closed shortly after we arrived for the winter. All in all this place is quaint, quiet and pleasant for every family. I will be visiting this motel again the next time I return to Durham, ,North Carolina. Oh, it came equipped with microwave and a refrigerator , which made it more cost effective to stay because we didn't have to go it every night to eat, some microwave meals. Aren't to bad.. Lol.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Not what I expected, but it suited us for a 2 night stay when visiting Duke. Less than 10 minutes to Duke. The staff looked after us well, especially my wife who drinks decaff coffee, she got a fresh pot to herself each morning.

Ignore the directions when you use a GPS or online maps, there is direct access to the interstate without having to take crazy U turns.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family