“Handy for Duke”

Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Omaha
“Handy for Duke”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Not what I expected, but it suited us for a 2 night stay when visiting Duke. Less than 10 minutes to Duke. The staff looked after us well, especially my wife who drinks decaff coffee, she got a fresh pot to herself each morning.

Ignore the directions when you use a GPS or online maps, there is direct access to the interstate without having to take crazy U turns.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

WV
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We have stayed at this hotel at least five times over the past few years. Everything has been very satisfactory until our last stay. When we first went in I noticed a lot of crumbs under the table-no big deal housekeeping could have been rushed. Had to meet family, came back in time to watch Duke in play-offs. Pulled out chair from table-appears to be milk dryed on both arms, seat and back-getting aggravated. Wife takes shower-new type valves not working right-hot water hard to control. Get ready to get in bed. Notice what appears to be dried blood on comfortter-throw it in floor. get in bed wife says something under sheet. Pull back sheet and find blood patch on mattress and what the wife felt. Looks like something puton or thrown up on mattress and covered with sheet. Call lobby to get new room-no answer. Was told someone would be there till midnight-it's twenty till and lobby is locked up-noone in. Pack up and go to another hotel. Still waiting to see if I get money back or future credit. Cannot recommend to anyone at this time. Sad- it was such a nice place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ziggywv
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Easy on-off from I-40. Park-like setting. Just a short ride from great eating. Intimately close to Duke University and its lovely walking forest. This is a family owned motel, and the family went out of their way to make our stop restful and satisfying. Call them direct and talk to them about your needs. Ours were unusual and involved vehicle security; they took the worry out of our stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Hendersonville, NC
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We stayed for two nights for my visit to the Duke Clinics. Our room was just right--clean, pretty, very comfortable. Beds were yummy--so comfortable I slept like a baby. Staff and owners very friendly and helpful, particularly with driving directions and restaurant suggestions. Owner gave true above-and-beyond-the-call assistance when we accidentally left a good tweed jacket behind. She went to the trouble of tracking us down by phone based on my comment about a store we wanted to visit before leaving for home. Astonishing! I strongly recommend this motel for a relaxing stay. I especially appreciate the medical discount. My only suggestion is that the coffee in the lobby be stronger. I wish we could have stayed longer, and I am looking forward to our next visit.

• Liked — absolute comfort
  • Disliked — weak lobby coffee
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Don't let the older facade of this motel fool you. The rooms have been recently remodeled with appointments equal to much higher dollar hotels. Yes, the rooms are small and the bathroom small too (no less than many high end hotels), but the bed and furniture were every bit as nice as rooms costing more than twice as much. On site management was extremely friendly, helpful, and courteous. To say this hotel is pet friendly is an understatement. We travel with our eight year old Golden Retriever and management here welcomed her as they did us, even providing a water bowl and dog cookies for her. A far cry from other hotels in the area that wanted excessive pet fees for one night stay. We plan on staying here again and recommend this motel to anyone looking for value, comfort, quiet, and helpful courteous staff. Did I mention, pet friendly! Access is a bit off path for West bound travelers, but we had no problems reaching the destination or returning to the freeway. Nice continental breakfast!

• Liked — Friendly Helpful Courteous Staff... PET FRIENDLY
  • Disliked — Small Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs CO
Reviewed 10 June 2008

I thought this hotel looked pretty nice for the money and I had my sister in law drive by and she said it looked pretty nice. But our first impression was that the room is small and the bathroom is even smaller. We had a king size bed the was comfortable even for someone who doesn't like regular spring mattresses. It is very quiet and you don't hear any road noise. Everything seems to work OK. The door which opens to the outside has a gap almost all the way around which lets light and weather in . We are staying as we speak on our 3rd and last night but probably wouldn't have stayed the whole time if our inlaws wern't here too. They have cleaned the room everyday, but we have never gotten any additional cups, still usings 1 from 2 days ago, nor have they given us any coffee to replace the 1 bag they gave us that we used. They only give you 2 towel which is bad when 2 of you are taking 2 showers a day due to the heat. It seemed pretty clean but as I write this a cock roach just crawled across floor so I can't give them that anymore. I think there are much better places to stay for the money and I would not come back.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — size/amenities
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank BeckyLynn_72
South Carolina
Reviewed 9 April 2008

The door had a huge crack all the way around the frame, if it had rained, the floor would have been soaked due to the huge gap at the bottom of the door.The windows were screwed to the frame so you could not open them. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. The sheets on the bed would not stay on the due to being stretched and old- no fitted sheet on the mattress.... when laying on the mattress you could actually feel the box springs; extremely out dated as the rest of the room, very dark, musky and dreary room-- Although pets are allowed,I was not informed of the $10.00 non-refund fee for my small dog through priceline.com until I arrived......, There were no dining areas right there, we did have to get back on the interstate and drive a few miles before we saw any dining places.......I could have received a better deal reserving straight thru Best Western using the senior discount ---when i called priceline about it, I was told that there was nothing I could do now!!!!! .....I would not recommend Priceline nor this Best Western. Just not a good experience at all for us!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The horribly uncofortable bedding, after traveling and disabled, I would have like to sleep in a comfortable bed!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple