“An Oasis in the Middle of Durham”

Blooming Garden Inn and Holly House
Blooming Garden Inn and Holly House
Ranked #4 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“An Oasis in the Middle of Durham”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The Blooming Garden Inn is an oasis in the middle of Durham. Just minutes from downtown and the Duke University/Hospital area yet you would never know it. The gardens and wrap around porch provide a perfect place to unwind and relex. Frank and Dolly are wonderful hosts who are willing to share stories and experiences with you. We were introduced to several items at breakfast that have now become favorites of my wife and I. If you need a place to stay in Durham, then you should definately give this a try!

Room Tip: The descriptions of the rooms on their web site are accurate and very helpful.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jrbpse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 July 2011

A chance call to the Blooming Garden Inn B&B because it showed up on the GPS led to a most lovely overnight stay in a beautiful historic home in Durham, NC. The home and hosts - Dolly and Frank - were lovely and welcoming. The room was comfortable, full of antiques, history, and the comfort of the bed can best be described as awesome! The room had a door that led to the outside wrap around porch, which was another living space all its own. A pleasant evening and morning were spent relaxing in the glider overlooking the side yard. Breakfast was an appetizing fare of mixed fruit, crepes, 7 grain bread, and a natural honey. After breakfast, Frank was kind enough to provide a tour of another of their properties across the street - the Holly House. The story of the Holly House and its famous guest was quite "entertaining". The Blooming Garden Inn was an experience I hope to relive in the future. I highly recommend this B&B to any traveler.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank shell0708
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My daughter and I had a very intersting stay at the inn. The one night we stayed there it felt like we were transported to the world of the 1800s (with all the amenities of the 21st century). The inn is a restored house from the 1800s and once you enter its doors the antique furnishings and decorations help take you to another era. It's homey atmosphere and gracious hosts add to the fullness of the experience. A tasteful and wholsome breakfast in antique dishes are again a wonderful addition to the flavor.
In short, we had a memorable and a very refreshing stay at the inn.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MiniO11
The Carolina's
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights while my husband had surgery at Duke. Frank & Dolly were the most caring and helpful host and hostess we have ever met. (We have stayed at several other B&B's.) The room was lovely, breakfast was delicious (especially the ginger waffles with lemon curd topping...heaven) but it was Frank and Dolly that made our stay special. They went out of their way to help me by taking me to fill prescriptions, get my husband some healthy take-out for his dinner and stopping at a market. I had never been to Durham so this was a tremendous help. You do not get hospitality like this at a motel or hotel! The porch is very pleasant and relaxing.

Room Tip: The Ivy Room provides private access to the porch!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I lived here for 9 days. I was happy to be here. Frank and Dolly where extremely friendly hosts, and always in for a chat.. My experience about the area was good, and I felt secure even if other reviewers write that this is close to a ghetto area - I did not notice this..! - By the way talked to quite a few friendly people in the area.. Just use common sense, as you would in any other area..!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed five weeks in June-July 2010 (my wife had business meetings in Durham, I played golf...) and really enjoyed our stay with Frank and Dolly. We got special, and very interesting, long term rates while staying in the Inn and enjoying the kitchen at the Holly House across the street. The rooms were great (we stayed in two of them, including the suite - wonderful !), the porch is very nice to browse the net on a laptop or have a drink in. Frank and Dolly are really great hosts and we ended up going together at Bele Chere in Asheville, where we had a great time. As Frenchpeople, we were a bit prejudiced against Americans, but this stay really showed us an aspect of America that we had never heard of or expected. Fantastic !!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank fred1970
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 July 2010

WE thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Blooming Garden B&B, WE were treated like royalty from dust into the evening. Frank prepared a special breakfast each morning with fresh berries from his garden. He mixed a tasty breakfast drink that woke the senses in the am. He came up with Amish butter from somewhere that we were able to use on his homemade waffles and pancakes.
Both he and Dottie are charming people whom we fell in love with. They have wonderful, engaging personalities. WE would have like to move in permanently, but alas we had to return home. It was a stay to remember.
W#e could not have been treated any better than we were. I look forward to a future visit.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple