Blooming Garden Inn and Holly House
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Room Service
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2010

WE thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Blooming Garden B&B, WE were treated like royalty from dust into the evening. Frank prepared a special breakfast each morning with fresh berries from his garden. He mixed a tasty breakfast drink that woke the senses in the am. He came up with Amish butter from somewhere that we were able to use on his homemade waffles and pancakes.
Both he and Dottie are charming people whom we fell in love with. They have wonderful, engaging personalities. WE would have like to move in permanently, but alas we had to return home. It was a stay to remember.
W#e could not have been treated any better than we were. I look forward to a future visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alkaygs
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Lovely 1890's era restored home in central Durham, North Carolina. Handy location. Close to the intersection of main north/south routes through town. Impeccable service provided by resident owners. Fascinating array of historic object 'd art throughout home. Enjoyed company of owners, Frank and Dolly. Wonderful accomodations. Particularily enjoyed meals on the porch and my room.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Had to stay in Durham for two weeks last March on a business trip, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the extended stay guest house at the Blooming Garden Inn. I cannot say enough about how Frank and Dolly make you feel at home and are as kind and helpful hosts as you will find anywhere. I long to go back, and shall do so once I am retired next year. I had a wonderful stay there. Close to everything in the area - I highly recommend it. Frank's breakfasts are awesome/Dolly is a true doll! And Sarah (the German Shepherd) is too sweet for words...you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2009

At the initial contact wiith Frank, in making reservations for the Holly House,I felt like he was an was an old friend. I was warmly greeted when I arrived. Tthe classes I am taking at Duke are very intense. I spend days at Duke and niights studying. I have all the privacy I want.
My room and the whole house are very chaming. The interior design is delightful. If I need anything Frank is always ready and available to help me. If you like history and want a homey atmosphere with people you can easily come to know, this is the place for you.
As for the neighborood, I would never call it a ghetto. That thought has never entered mind. I travel often and I generally travel alone. As a pastor of a cjhurch with an extensive outreach program, I have visited ghettos. This neighborhood doesn't come close.
When I drive down the street in either direction I haven't seen people standing around. People I ocassionly pass by on the sidewalk are quite friendly. There is much renovation of homes in this lovely neighborhood
I have two more summers to spend at Duke. Holly House is where I'll stay.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay during the time surrounding my cancer surgery at Duke. We wanted a place where we could cook our own meals, but the suites hotels seemed a little too cold and impersonal to suit us. When we discovered that Blooming Garden Inn provided rooms at Holly House, their extended stay home across the street from the B&B, we contacted Dolly and Frank and decided to stay there. We were so right in our choice!

It's impossible to recount all the kindnesses done for us by Dolly and Frank, as well as by the other residents at Holly House (and even by other guests at the Inn). Most special to me personally was the help we received when Duke released me from outpatient surgery (way too soon, IMHO). I needed more help than my husband alone could provide getting in from the car and for the first several hours. Dolly (who used to be a nurse) and Frank, as well as the other guests, did everything possible to make me comfortable. (Dolly even took my husband to the pharmacy to fill my prescription for pain medication!) Their kindness and caring continued throughout our visit. Dolly took us on a driving tour of her favorite places around Durham.... they made us a big pot of soup.... and on our last night in Durham, we went to dinner with them and other guests at one of their favorite restaurants.

Over the past several years, the neighborhood with its beautiful old homes has been on its way back from "hard times". Dolly and Frank have lovingly restored both Holly House and Blooming Garden Inn, have filled them with antiques and too many other special things to mention, and have shared their home with guests. (At my request, Frank provided a tour of the B&B....After which I asked if they would adopt me so I could stay there forever!) At no time did I feel unsafe staying in that neighborhood; in fact, it was more peaceful than where I live in Atlanta!

If what someone is looking for is a place to be left alone, this might not be the right place to stay.... But then again, that's a basic difference between chain hotels and B&B's. Although I hope I won't need surgery again (at Duke or anywhere else), I would not hesitate to stay with Dolly and Frank in the future. In fact, if we're ever in that part of North Carolina again, I hope we'll at least go out to dinner with them!

Who would ever have believed that an unpleasant hospital visit could provide an opportunity to make several new friends? But that's exactly what happened.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank testsubject148