“Wow, this is a true find!”

Piedmont Restaurant
Ranked #75 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seminary Avenue
Description: Piedmont Restaurant has cultivated a loyal following by creating an adventurous, seasonal dining experience in the heart of downtown Durham. We shine a light on foods harvested and raised in North Carolina, including from our sister farm in Hillsborough, Coon Rock Farm. Chef John May’s inspired cuisine showcases local ingredients in classic Southern dishes, reimagined with an inventive spirit. Our regionally focused craft cocktail program, North Carolina craft beers, and extensive and award-winning wine list designed by Crawford Leavoy complete our modern farm-to-table experience.
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have rarely spent an evening in a restaurant where every dish simply elicited a Wow! But this one did. From the fried oyster appetizer, to the swordfish entree, to the incredibly delicious dark chocolate torte...I was wowed. Best restaurant in Durham!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband is still talking about the wonderful steak he had last night. The beet salad was also very good. I had the oyster appetizer that was very tasty. This will be a place that we will come back to. The staff was excellent, too.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Modern but laid back atmosphere was relaxing and enjoyable. Lots of space. Didn't feel like we were being crammed in. Started with the trout spread - fantastic. I had the boneless pork chop - one of the best I've ever tasted and as good as any bone-in pork chop I've had elsewhere. How did the chef do that? My wife had the cauliflower "lune" (essentially a ravioli). It was okay - a touch more seasoning might have made it great. This is the only reason I couldn't give 5 stars for food - gotta be consistent. We shared the sticky date cake with salted caramel ice cream for desert - out of this world! Overall, really enjoyed our meal and the pleasant service. We will definitely go back in search of 5 stars all around.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had always wanted to try Piedmont and got the chance to attend a business dinner there. Our party was about 16 so they gave us the upstairs loft.

It was Triangle Restaurant Week and I'm not sure if that is why we had just a small menu with 3 apps, 3 mains, and 3 desserts. Or maybe the meal planner requested it.

My starter was smoked Carolina trout dip with lavosh crackers. I found it a bit dry and the flavor seemed one-dimensional. The other two apps were a salad with butternut squash, pecans and pears and pan seared scallops. Both were well received.

My main was pan seared Carolina flounder with roasted sunchokes and brown butter celery root. I'm a big fan of flounder and this was done very nicely. The star of the dish, however, was the brown butter celery root! These nuggets were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and delicious! The menu listed chorizo and chevre as parts of this dish but I definitely did not taste chorizo and don't remember tasting chevre.

The other popular main was a coulotte steak which got rave reviews from everyone who ordered it. No one ordered the third choice - a veggie risotto.

My dessert was called "10 dollar pie" with Granny Smith apples and Bartlett pears. What I received was not what I expected! The dessert was more like an upside down cake. It tasted good enough, but I'm a pie man from way back and this was not pie! The cinnamon ice cream on the side was a delicious touch.

Our server was terrific! He was professional, efficient, and would seem to know what you were going to ask for even before you did!

The overall impression was very good and I believe that I'll come back to try some of the menu items not on our "short list."

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Piedmont continues to offer high quality, locally-sourced food that is well prepared. The space is very inviting and the staff quite friendly. On our last visit there seemed to be a hiccup with the kitchen -- our food took a long time getting to us -- but once it arrived it was very good. Highly recommended, particularly if one is attending the Carolina Theater.

1  Thank mikep244