“Wonderful dinner on a Tuesday night”

Piedmont Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Piedmont Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 762 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seminary Avenue
Description: Piedmont Restaurant has cultivated a loyal following by creating an adventurous, seasonal dining experience in the heart of downtown Durham. We shine a light on foods harvested and raised in North Carolina, including from our sister farm in Hillsborough, Coon Rock Farm. Chef John May’s inspired cuisine showcases local ingredients in classic Southern dishes, reimagined with an inventive spirit. Our regionally focused craft cocktail program, North Carolina craft beers, and extensive and award-winning wine list designed by Crawford Leavoy complete our modern farm-to-table experience.
Durham, North Carolina
“Wonderful dinner on a Tuesday night”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We headed to Piedmont for our first visit on a Tuesday night for a 5:45 reservation . We were not the first ones there. Started out with the smoke trout dip and house-made lavash crackers. Nice portion size to share and great flavor. I had the pan-seared Maple Leaf Farm’s duck breast, with Root Down Farm’s brown butter carrots, shaved beets,black berries, swiss chard, creamy Anson Mill’s farro antica which was excellent. The duck was perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I am not a fan of beets but with the the carrots these were quite good. My husband had the skirt steak which I really didn't get to taste as he wolfed it down. We were going to split a dessert but could not decide which one so he got the berry pie with lemon ice cream and I got the date cake with salted caramel ice cream. They were both good but I think I liked the pie better. We were also surprised at how crowded the restaurant got on a Tuesday night. Our bill was about 100 for two. This is a wonderful option in downtown Durham.

1 Thank DurhamMomof2

Princeton, New Jersey
“Fabulous Meal”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous dinner at Piedmont. This is quality "farm to table food" with the freshest ingredients used in creative combinations that work. The chilled corn soup with barbecued shrimp was a beautiful blend of sweet and savory, a real pleasure. The heirloom tomato salad had wonderful flavor and the ricotta was light and delicately flavored. My tile fish was perfectly cooked and the duck entree was truly outstanding. Desserts were very special-leave room, they are not to be missed. The service was perfect-informative, helpful but not intrusive. This really was a dinner to remember.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank NFKBNJ
Raleigh
“What a wonderful meal to kick off the Bull Moon Ride”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We registered for the Bull Moon Bike Ride a few weeks ago and on the spur of the moment thought a nice dinner in Durham would be an awesome way to begin the evening. I called Piedmont Saturday morning and made reservations for two at 5:30 that evening. No problem. we picked up our Bull Moon Bike Ride packets from DBAP at 5:00pmish and made the comfortable walk to Piedmont for their 5:30 opening. We relaxed as Troy provided impeccible service. The lemon dressing on the local greens my wife had as an appetizer was a perfect complement to the smoked trout dip. She had the flank steak and I had the duck breast. Both entrees were excellent. The presentation of the duck was a treat for my eyes - the sliced beets artfully layered over the carrots carefully arranged over the farro with some juicy blackberries sprinkled in to fill the spaces. I was delighted when the taste surpassed the visuals. We opted for drinking our dessert since being hydrated for a bike ride is very important. The pace was just right and it seemed Troy read our minds and arrived with the pitcher when our water glasses reached the half-way point. The meal was a wonderful way to begin the evening and the bike ride was a great way to end the evening.

1 Thank JohnRDU
Durham, North Carolina
“Tasty Food & Great Service”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had two entrees (steak and duck), two drinks (beer), and two desserts (peach and blueberry pie and date cake). The meal was very tasty. When the entrees first arrived, we thought they looked a little small, but they were quite rich and very flavorful. The amount of food turned out to be perfect. The steak was better than I expected it would be, and the sides complimented the meats very well. We left satisfied but not full. We skipped the appetizers so we could have room for dessert, which was also delicious and rich. Personally, I found the date cake to be a little too sweet to finish on my own, but my husband very much enjoyed it. I preferred the pie, which was a nice balance of sweet, refreshing and tangy. All the food was presented very well also. We could tell that they took pride in their food.

During our dinner, we didn't much notice the time the entrees took to arrive since we were enjoying ourselves. After we finished our entrees, the manager appeared with complimentary sorbet since he felt that the entrees took a longer than usual. Apparently, the chef insisted that something be perfected before being sent out. I was actually glad to hear that; I'd much rather wait a little longer for something delicious than get mediocre food quickly.

The staff was very nice and responsive. The atmosphere was comfortable and interesting. We'll definitely be going back.

2 Thank K K
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Delightful flavors”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Beet salad, smoked trout dip, mahi mahi were all very good. The coulette was rather tough for me, but the flavor was excellent with the tastiest vegetables. Desserts were also very good. The physical setting is certainly not impressive, but the staff was very friendly and pleasant.

• Visited June 2014