“Germanic Bakery - worth the wait.”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Cafe, European, German
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Hudson, Ohio
“Germanic Bakery – worth the wait.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Guglhupf bakery was amazing – we enjoyed a brezel – which was exactly as remembered from Austria, words cannot describe how perfect these were. We’ve had other brezel here in the states, and they’ve been OK, not fabulous. The hazelnut macaron was good. Easy to see why it’s rated #1 in the Durham area. We did not eat in the café, but it was hopping.

Visited October 2013

Durham
“Not sure what the fuss is about...”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I've been to the Giglehupf a couple of times, and I still don't see the big deal, especially with Foster's Market and the Refectory Cafe so close. The thing that struck me most about the place was that it was really hard, unless you have been there before, to figure out how to go about ordering and eating. Oh, and they were very stingy with their butter, even after I asked for more.

• Visited November 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I had received a recommendation from a friend that we try Guglhupf, so when we had guests in town this weekend we tried it. The place was packed and a bit difficult to find a seat. We had to flag down an employee clearing tables to understand how things work. You'll need one person in your party to grab the table while the rest can get in line to place an order. As I mentioned, it was quite busy so it took a bit to order and once ordered you then stand in line waiting for your coffee/beverages to be made. They'll give you a number to put on your table and deliver the food, but you'll need to find a station to get your own silverware, sugar, napkins, etc. All four of us found this process to be a bit confusing and lengthy. The restaurant is definitely charming and the outdoor area is beautiful and would be great on a nice day. Unfortunately for us it was drizzly and chilly and since there were no outdoor heaters we hovered around waiting for a table inside to open up and luckily we had good timing. The feedback on the food for our group was 1 so-so and 3 good.

• Visited October 2013
“Can't go wrong!!!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

So good! The breads alone and pastry are worth a trip every week to stock up on them. The atmosphere is great for a quick lunch with a friend during the daytime or for a date night!

Batesville, Arkansas
“GREAT FOOD & AMBIENCE--need more staff attention for 1st timers”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is because if the lack of direction & chaos for 1st timers. The food was excellent!! I had the House-Made Bratwurst with German potato salad (served chilled rather than warm) & a nice, non-hoppy, smooth, dark German Beer (Optinator). I sat in the Biergarten next to the fountain, which is very soothing & tranquil. For dessert, I indulged in a piece of the decadent Chocolate Torte & a cup of Hot Darjeeling Tea. The ambience & food is 1st rate!! However, there is no direction about ordering & service, & the waitstaff doesn't volunteer any info. I finally had to ask a customer how to get waited on & order food. You order, tell them where you're sitting-- inside upstairs or downstairs or outside--and they bring your food to you. However, they don't tell you that your hot drinks or silverware will be serviced inside & you have to get them yourself. I was told this AFTER my food was served outside. By the time I went back inside to get my silverware & hot tea, both my bratwurst & tea were cold. However, the food is DELICIOUS! I got there about 1:15 PM for a late lunch on Friday, and the place was packed inside & out. Parking is atrocious--I circled around a TINY parking lot for 20 mins waiting for a spot rather than risk parking across & trying to cross a busy road. Also, no free wi-fi. Now that I know the ropes, I'll be back again!!