“Amazing desserts!”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 797 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I have been to Guglehupf cafe on many occasions, as a solo diner, as a couple and with friends. The staff aren't always friendly and it does take a while to get food sometimes, but the desserts are totally worth it!! The sandwiches and salads are also pretty amazing. Not much German in the cafe, bar the pastries and a couple of the beers but the food is really excellent!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Guglhupf is more-or-less an institution in Durham. It’s always a treat to hear people mangle the restaurant’s name! The food has a German/Deli/Bakery thing going on. I usually have lunch, but dinners are also nice and it tends to be quieter in the evening. If the weather’s nice – try to sit outside - it's a bit quieter. I’ve never had a disappointing meal here. Consistently good food.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Service was awful. Order takers were rude. We got there 15 min before end of brunch. We were told they were no longer serving brunch. We insisted since we drove half hour tp get there. They tried to turn us away, even though they remain open for dinner with hardly any variation in menu but an increase in price. They said they had to clean and switch kitchen over for the dinner menu. Finally took our brunch order. People waiting in line behind us left. Parking is a nightmare. Food was ok, but really all they have that us German is beer and pastries. A disappointment in every aspect.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Ill start off by saying the food and deserts are absolutely to die for, the portions are decent, and the urban atmosphere is one of a kind!! It like stepping into an art exhibit!
It is said to be a German Cafe, but only thing absolutely German about the place is the pastries and a few select items from off the menu (Wiener Schnitzel). But what does it matter? The food is absolutely outstanding and the service is fast (which is great if your catching a play at DPAC- which is how i found the place)
Ive never had a dull experience here, the staff are friendly, the people unique and again the food is great.
The only thing "bad" i have to say about the place is the pricing, but. If you cant afford it, don't do it.
Other than that you shouldn't be disappointing.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is a very unique cafe that has a wonderful outdoor seating. The selection of German beer and pastries is the only thing that I would say makes the place German, however. I've been to Germany, and the menu is more of a farm-to-table with European influences, instead of the German cuisine that the name suggests. The bakery is wonderful. I would suggest ordering a cake to go. And it is nice to get a cold, German beer in a nice glass and sit and people-watch.

I've been to the cafe twice, and I would go again for the beer and patio area. I went once for lunch and ordered a turkey panini with brie, a beer, and a chocolate cream puff. Overpriced, but a fun experience. The second time I went for brunch. Like the first time, the line was very long, slow, and squeezed in the entrance. When we got to the cashier, they told us that they were out of one of the only Germain-like dishes, a meat plate, so we had to scramble to pick something else while people hovered over our shoulder. Instead, we got the cheese plate, which was just a few similar tasting hard cheeses and breads( I wouldn't suggest). I also ordered a Bloody Mary, which was just okay. Most other dishes that were ordered at my table included regular brunch dishes (eggs, etc.). The food was very fresh with small portions. I agree with other reviews that the employees are pretentious, and many customers are very.... well, Chapel Hill, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you do have to be patient.

2  Thank uncwmel10