“The ONLY sushi restaurant we eat at!”

Akashi Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar
Ranked #141 of 789 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We love Akashi so much that we've gone several times a month for the last two years. Service is always top notch and the sushi is outstanding! They have a large variety of sushi choices which allows us to experience something different each time. They have a bar and alternate Asian cuisine if you don't like sushi.

We've tried other sushi restaurants in the area but the quality and service don't compare to Akashi.

Currently, they offer a special of 50% off all rolls which keeps dinner for two fairly inexpensive. :)

Highly recommend to everyone!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I read the last review and wanted to stop back while a colleague from Osaka (whos family runs a Sushi restaurant back in his home country) was working with me in RTP. I was surprised at the last reviewer but then I noticed he mostly just complains about the majority of his reviews but still I wanted to give this place another try. The previous post noted that he did not understand the menu as it had too many options; ummmm most Sushi restaurnts have many options as there are many types of fish, variants of rice and potential ways to combine, rice, Fish and seasonings. Essentially I would say dismiss the last post the guy clearly does not know what he was talking about. My colleague noted the methods they use are eastern Japan and noted the tightness of the rolls and very focus on freshness and very much clenliness. Rice was perfect, he noted if you can not eat it with chopsticks it is not sticky enough and not made correctly, they made it correctly. Mid way through the meal he told them he was from Osaka and began to speak Japanese and trade recipes and rolling methods. If you like fish and very raw try the "stoplight" if you do not like all raw this place also has very fresh cooked food. This is far and away the best Siushi and the only place in the Triangle that Japanese buisnessmen go when they are homesick for fresh perfectly made Sushi. If you want real japanese Sushi or American favorites you will want to try this place.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I stayed in a hotel nearby for business, so I went to find a place to have a dinner one night. I'd read some reviews of this restaurant on the internets and thought I'd check it out.

The interior is faux Asian chic, with buddhas and Chinese music. I sat at the bar and the friendly cooks entertained me with chit-chat. The list of their rolls is three page long -- "rice inside", "rice outside", "fish outside"... Sounds funny.

However, the food was barely edible. Rice was very dry, tuna not fresh, and smearing mayonnaise on sushi? I should have gone to McDonald's, at least I would know what to expect.

Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

Spectacular and very authentic Sushi. The service is very friendly and all our food was incredibly fresh. I found this place based on a locals reccomendation while in RTP for work and no one was dissapointed. Great for work meeting, family outing or a date. I will be back.

Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Hunting for somewhere close to our hotel this was a very nice find with an extensive sushi menu, fast service, casual, friendly atmosphere. We had sushi rolls, edamame and seared tuna and enjoyed all.