“Beignets & brunch”

Ranked #15 of 790 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Since 2006, Rue Cler has proudly served the community of downtown Durham. We bring the freshest southeastern ingredients to our diverse clientele, offering simple, classic preparations, in the style of a Parisian neighborhood restaurant. Our dinner menu is updated frequently, with a focus on seasonal, local products. We have an extensive, award-winning wine list, with selections from France and the US, including rare bottles. We gladly accept reservations, so give us a call today!
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Delicous duck confit crepe if a bit on the salty side. Loved the beignets! My friends meals were very good. Lovely little place. Expensive mimosas though!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

After wandering the Duke Gardens on a Sunday morning, we two were ready for a tasty lunch. I called the restaurant and was delighted to hear they had no wait. We were seated promptly upon arrival, were presented with brunch menus and agreed to the recommended beignets. The freshly made beignets were among the best I've had. After sipping on wine, we chose from the tasty sounding menu. Our Duck Confit crepe and Œufs Rue Cler were served timely, were well-prepared and simply delicious. Overall, we had a most enjoyable lunch.

1  Thank pm-atl
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were on a business trip to Raleigh-Durham and two people suggested this restaurant. Reservations were made on a Friday evening which was a good thing because the restaurant was full. The three of us ordered off the Prix Fixe portion of the menu. We had between us fried green tomatoes, asparagus & sweet peas, the tenderloin, scallops and duck. All of the dishes were perfect! I made a mistake on the wine. I am used to California and Italian selections but I miss the mark with French wines. Instead of asking for advice, I chose a wine I thought would work. It was not what I expected. My fault!

1  Thank lynndds
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I like Rue Cler and have eaten here a number of times over the years. I'm big on the mussels and fries. THe service is uneven - sometimes quite good - others it is not. Drink selection is limited (no iced tea - - hello, this is the south, don't care if you are a French place). I've eaten mostly lunches here - and I think it is much better for lunch, rather than dinner. Noise level can be problematic.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Came here for Saturday brunch with my husband. We arrived shortly after opening at 10am, and were seated straight away. I have heard that large groups should get a reservation to be on the safe side. We were served coffee and water promptly after being seated. There are many tasty sounding items on the menu, but finally managed to decide on the fruit crepe. My husband ordered the French toast, which was being served with melon and pineapple this day. The waiter was amenable to let him have it with strawberries instead. So far, so good. The food arrived within a reasonable time and was nicely presented. I took a bite out of the crepe and was unpleasantly surprised that it was very cold, as in refrigerated cold. I asked the server if it was supposed to be served cold, to which she replied: "Oh, you didn't realize?", and walked away. I have eaten plenty of crepes in my lifetime in many countries, including France, but have never been served a chilled one. I put my plate to the side to try some of my husband's French toast, which had a bit too much egg for my liking, but was OK. When our server came by to ask if everything was OK, I told him that I hadn't realized the crepe would be served chilled. He immediately offered to take it back and let me order a croque monsieur instead, which I would have ordered in the first place, had the menu only said that the crepe is served cold. It was tasty, but not served they way they normally do in Europe, with the cheese melted on top of the sauce. This one has the sauce on top instead. It was tasty and served with a nice side salad with a vinaigrette. I was impressed with the service, but they would be better off adding more details to their menu so that people know what they are getting. Especially as they don't seem to be serving their French food in the traditional way you would expect. This way disappointment can be avoided for diners and less hassle for the staff.