“Food ok, Service insultingly crapy”

Ninth Street Bakery
Ranked #5 of 10 Bakeries in Durham
Price range: US$1 - US$20
durham, nc
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food ok, Service insultingly crapy”
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I went to this restaurant on yesterday for the first time for lunch it was a call in order. I watched the man at the register deal with customers. Other customers he handed them their reciepts and took their money with no problem. Customer's in front of me were an african american woman, a caucasian male and a hispanic male. I myself am a african american female. I was dressed nice i thought since i work in an office building. when it was my turn in line i stated hello, im here to pick up the call in order for (my name here ) and informed him that it was two seperate orders that i would be paying for me and my coworker. he was like well can they be in the same bag ? i replied yes that is not a problem. i informed him that one was with cash and the other was with card. he took the money from me with two fingers as if i had either a plague or h1n1. i have neither and he handed the money back. he did not do this with any of the other customer's before me. when i handed him my card he took it by touching the very tip of the card. and after he ran my card and i entered my info he places the card on the counter. instead of in my outstretched hand. he did not do this with the Hispanic male or the Caucasian male. who both paid with cards. So when i filled out the slip for my food i put a nice zero in the tip area due to i did not feel he deserved one with that type of behavior for the life of my i still do not understand what i did to deserve. He looked at the slip and rolled his eyes and placed the slip in the register. Not a word or a goodbye and walked off. I debated for hours as to should i even write this review. And i decided at the end of the day this needs to be said so others will know before had possible service they may expect at this restaurant.

1 Thank my_cherie_amour

Durham, NC
“Wow”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Recently re-discovered 9th Street Bakery. In the 90's I had fell in love with there restaurant...I did not realize that they were still open to the public, assumming wrongly that they now only sold wholesale items. The various sandwiches, soups, salads, and god the pastries are so wonderful.

The place is great!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Such a great local business, with fabulous baked goods and a strong connection to the community. And don't miss the...”
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Such a great local business, with fabulous baked goods and a strong connection to the community. And don't miss the special vegetarian sangha lunch on Wednesdays - yummm!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Delicious. The vegan is...”
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Delicious. The vegan is the best sandwich with the best bread.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook