“The BEST tacos around” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Butner, North Carolina
“The BEST tacos around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I LOVE this place! The tacos are amazing, the prices reasonable, and the staff takes great care of the patrons. Their carne asada tacos could make a vegetarian rethink their eating and the salsa bar gives you many choices and flavors to add to each meal. They also have mexican fruit juice soft drinks that are made from scratch and that are not to be missed. With the spring here, the strawberry is fantastic. The decor is not fancy, nor is this converted Dunkin Donuts big on space, but the food wins every time.

• Visited May 2014

Durham, North Carolina
“Unaccommodating for those who do not speak Spanish”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

***Please be aware that this review is not based on the food that the restaurant offers but is based on the customer service and atmosphere. This is an opinion only and I normally don't write reviews like this, but I like to give honest reviews of the places I visit and wanted to share how I was treated at this venue. If you don't care, don't read on.

I gave this review a preface because I feel it was needed due to the nature of the review I am about to write for this restaurant. We have been here twice now and tried to eat, the first time being when we stopped in for lunch but the line was so long that we decided not to stay. The second time we went here was around 5:30 in the evening. The wait was not long, however when in line we noticed that the menu on the wall is entirely in Spanish.

I understand that this is an authentic restaurant so that is to be expected, and we figured that they would have some sort of English menu or that we could get some help ordering from the staff. This was not the case at all. The man behind the counter was short with us and very rude when I asked him if they had an English menu. He barked out that the only menu was on the wall and then looked past us at the next customer. This was entirely unwarranted and frankly a tad biased - I do not speak or read Spanish and would have appreciated some sort of help or at least an offer of it because I only recognized the names of two or three things. Even a smile or an I'm sorry would have sufficed, but as he had already moved on to the next customer, we simply walked out. I will never try to eat here again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Be adventurous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Delicious, fresh tacos. Choose cuts of meats you normally don't see in a americanized taco joint, you're in for a surprise!

Visited July 2013
Durham, NC
“As good a taqueria as any.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great authentic tacos with complete fixins bar. By authentic taco I mean two small soft corn tortillas with a scoop of meat-based filling. You pick the filling from one of many on the menu (all in spanish - but they will tell you what they are if you ask), then take it to the bar to add lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers, salsa, onions, etc. The chicken (pollo) is a bit bland, but everything else that i've tried has been excellent (barbacoa and carnitas are mi favorito). With two shells per taco and a decent amount of meat, I usually split my two tacos to make four tacos and fill the rest of the space with healthy, tasty veggies from the bar. An order of two tacos will fill me for lunch, and I can eat. Tacos are around $2 depending on the type. Splitting them makes for $1 tacos. Waaaaaay better than the bell.
They also have all sorts of other stuff that I have not tried but probably also is awesome. I don't think you will find texmex cheese smothered typical mexican restuarant food here, or the ubiquitous bottomless pit of chips and salsa. It's totally different and definitely worth trying. I'm white and don't speak spanish, which probably makes it more entertaining than it really is. The neighborhood is not as bad as you might think. Don't worry about it; it's as safe as the McDs across the street and is just as, if not, cleaner. I don't remember what the toilets are like. i'm not sure I've ever even been to them. I eat here all the time. Anyone I've ever taken with me has loved it. Enjoy.

• Visited February 2013
Old Hickory, Tennessee
“Authentic Mexican food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

This is a small, unimpressive little place with the menu in Spanish, but it has very tasty food with items we haven't had since our trip to Guadalajara, Mexico. The tacos al pastor were great, as was my huarache and the horchata.

Visited March 2013