“Excellent southern cooking, enjoyable local atmosphere”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Extremely pleased with the food and service. Started with a fresh beet salad, followed by fried catfish served over greens, with grits cake. Local grown produce came across very well in the salad, with a mild dressing that did not overpower the fresh beets and arugula. Fish was perfectly cooked and greens were the best I've ever had. Good local beer selection and reasonable wine list (for the moderate price range). This is the type of restaurant I love to visit when travelling - excellent food that conveys the local flavors and atmosphere.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I went with a friend to brunch here, after only having tried their dinner a couple of times. Because it was Easter, the "special" brunch menu was ridiculously limited, and included not a single vegetarian item or even anything with just a bit of meat in it. It was a 3-course "set menu" in which basically two of the three courses were desserts. I'm now feeling in need of an insulin shot, and I only ate around half the meal (it just wasn't very good). Service is fine, ambience is nice, but I guess I just don't like being forced into a $25 brunch menu when all I want is some eggs and potatoes. Plus, the Easter crowd was a godawful collection of waspy types wearing pastels...not the Durham scene I like.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I was staying with my cousin and his girlfriend in Durham for three days. They both were working, and their kitchen wasn't really for eating in, so I searched for a restaurant in walking distance. Watts Grocery had good reviews and was only about three blocks away, so off I went, walking through leafy streets of this quaint but a little weary part of town. By the time I arrived at Watts Grocery, breakfast time had come and gone, and I was there now for lunch.

I was seated promptly but was in dire need of coffee. Unfortunately, it took quite a while for it to come. (You don't want to see me before I drink my morning coffee!) The menu promised some creative spins on regional dishes. I selected the fried catfish with spicy aioli, coleslaw, and collard greens. My dish took a while to come. Why I don't know because as soon as I tried to cut into it, the resistance told me something was wrong--the fish was totally raw, except for a lovely brown nut crust. Then it took a while to catch the attention of a server and an even longer while to get my dish back, this time nicely cooked.

Nobody asked if I wanted bread (I didn't but no one asked) or anything else, for that matter. The staff didn't act like serial killers but weren't particularly friendly, either.

The spacious, clean, and contemporary styling of the restaurant fit the interesting menu.

My cousin told me that this restaurant usually did a good job, but occasionally not. Not that day for me, anyway. If you order the catfish, ask them to make sure to cook it through, and I think you might have a reasonably good experience.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I took clients here for dinner last night and it was amazing. The food is something to rave about an a local flair that is unsurpassed in Durham. Thank you for a great meal. A special shout out to Alexis who had a great quirky personality that added a special touch to our evening and to Joseph the bartender for being on point with her service and smile. Cheers!

1  Thank TravelingoutofNC
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Located behind a nondescript storefront (I drove by twice before I finally found it) Watts grocery has a cheery, trendily decorated, inviting interior with a beautiful zinc bar. The kitchen delivers deliciously updated classic Southern dishes featuring local ingredients. For brunch I had a blood orange Mimosa and a beautify executed country ham Benedict with perfectly poached eggs and a side of creamy grits. The huevos rancheros, house smoked BBQ sandwich, and fried chicken biscuit with sausage gravy looked equally good. A dinner menu listing items such as apple butter pork belly over polenta and grilled bok choi, low country seafood gumbo, and bourbon brined local pork loin demands a future trip. The service was prompt and friendly, and the prices were very reasonable. I'm coming back - soon!