“Nice Quiet Lunch”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 764 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Durham, North Carolina
“Nice Quiet Lunch”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was my third time at this restaurant, but first time during lunch. Despite being there on Friday afternoon in summer, the wait staff was attentive, the food was good, and nobody rushed us out of the place after dessert and coffee. Their version of a Cobb salad was quite interesting, made with shrimp instead of chicken. The dessert was even more fun--an ice cream sandwich made with homemade oatmeal cookies and peanut butter ice cream. It tasted MUCH better than it sounds. Check out this cozy cafe!

• Visited July 2014

Durham, North Carolina
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I've heard great things about this place but it was nothing special. Boring decor, limited menu, underseasoned food. Nice waiter though!

Visited June 2014
New Bern, North Carolina
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were in Durham for the weekend and held out to have Brunch here on Sunday. Fantastic. There is a nice selection of beverages. We had the Watts Bloody Mary ($6). We then shared the Grits Bowl ($8) with a selection of 4 toppings, along wtih the Huevos Rancheros ($9) and the Fried Chicken Biscuit ($9). We did not leave hungry. Our waitress Jessica was a gem. Wish we lived in town. P.S. There is a large parking lot next to the building.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Watt's gets a WOW”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had always heard that Watt's Grocery was one of the best restaurants and now that I have eaten there, I can say it is true. Every single dish was perfect. The salad was small but with crisp greens and tasty dressing, I have to say I was satisfied with the portion. I had the pecan crusted catfish with collards and a grits cake and it was phenomenal. The flavors blended and I savored every bite. The collards were expertly cooked-not an easy thing! At first look, I thought I would not finish but it was too good not to. I tried my friend's Mac n Cheese and then had a second and third taste. It was a large portion and could be an entree itself. We took half of it home. And it was great the next day too. Also ordered drinks which were wonderful-Margarita and a Mojito. Refreshing and delicious.
Waitstaff was pleasant and attentive and could answer all questions about the dishes and how they were prepared. Excellent!

Durham, NC
“Awful food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went here during restaurant week with 8 people. 3 chose meals off of the restaurant week lunch menu, 5 of us off of the regular lunch menu. All 5 that chose off of the regular menu, had a meat with their lunch. (Hamburger, steak sandwich, which we were also told were "very popular"). The 3 that chose off of the restaurant week menu had salads (more greens) for their lunch. Of those that chose a meat for lunch, none of us were impressed. Everyone left more than 1/2 of their meal. We ate out of hunger, not out of liking the meal. Meat had no flavor, more bun than meat. Over salted fries. Greasy. Just not good! And not at all what we were expecting after hearing such "good" things about Watts Grocery. Those that had the salads for their lunches, did not complain. If you want a salad only, maybe this is the place for you. If you want some sort of meat with your meal, don't go here. Terrible.

1 Thank Colleen483