“No!!! No!!!! No!!!!!!”

Carolina Duke Inn
Carolina Duke Inn
Ranked #62 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 14 October 2007

This place is a DUMP!!! I can't believe all of these good ratings.

Filthy, hair in the sink, old clothes and trash in the exterior corridors, toilet did not flush even after complaining twice, housekeeping banging on the door at 9:00 AM wanting to get in the room, leaking bathtub faucet, no filters for the coffee maker, no coffee cups for the coffee that I could not make, noisy. I could go on and on.

Avoid this place at all costs. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2007

Dear Joe,

I am very sorry you did not like our hotel, however, I must disagree. While our place is not for everyone, it is by no means a dump. We strive to provide comfortable accomodations at an affordable price, and while that may mean that some things must be sacrificed, cleanliness is not one of them.

I personally check hotel rooms on a daily basis, our carpets are sterilized every two to three weeks (not cleaned, sterilized), sheets towels and pillowcases are bleached in hot water, and we use high quality anti bacterial cleaning products. If, by chance, you recieved a substandard room, I am sorry and would love to refund your money.

Our hotel, as it is run by people, is not perfect, but it is not a dump by any means.

I was on the property this weekend, and never heard from you concerning these problems. Why was I not given a chance to remedy your complaints before you made such awful claims about us to the entire world. Why was I not given a chance to correct the alleged problems? Is this fair?

I was on the property this weekend and walked it several times, and I did not see trash and old cloths as you describe.

I am sorry, but I feel these claims are exagerated. You may have had a poor experience, and if you did I am sorry. But to advertise this hotel as a dump is unfair.

As a footnote, many hotels raised their prices drastically for the weekend of the 14th. We honored discounts, did not displace a single regular, an honored every reservation. Our rates were the same low rates we always offer. This is our policy, and there is only one weekend a year we raise rates. On that weekend, whereas others double and triple the rates, we only raise ours by a third. We are the most consumer oriented and fair minded hotel in our area. You probably only paid around 40-50 dollars for a room with a continental breakfast, coffee, 5 HBOs, microwave/refrigerator, highspeed internet and a large TV whereas our competitors were charging at least 80 dollars.

We even have live in security that would escort travelers to their rooms late that night.

All I am saying is that we have been fair to you, and would appreciate, at least, a fair evaluation in return.

Our hotel is not a palce, but it is clean, though we are not above mistakes.

Owner

Reviewed 26 September 2007

The americas best value inn carolina duke is a good place to stay for the price. I had a deluxe king room for $50.00 including tax. The room was nice and clean with a large tv and 5 screens of hbo and like usual nothing on hbo worth watching. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in any hotel. The bed was better than the ones in waverly in atlanta. The motel is around 40 years old and it does show it. The breakfast was better than I expected. The people at the front desk were pleasant and knowledgable of the area. The area around the hotel is safe with upscale stores just accross the interstate. The motel is an old motor inn and so I could back my car right back to the door and when traveling with a one yearold and all the baby parafania that was a godsend. My only complaint was that about 2 am some guests got drunk and started running and screaming up and down the stairs by my room. I would stay there again if I ever had to be back in durham but my wife was so P O ed by the drunks that she never wants to return. Front desk friendly and effient ( give them a 5 out of 5). The room was OK give the overall room a 3 and the bed a 5. The clientel when I was there give them about a 2. (really only a 2 to the drunk stair climbers. If it were 100 it would not be worth it but 50 in that area it is well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank routeguy

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind response. It is an honor to hear compliments from our guests.

I am very sorry that there was noise. In the future, please note that we have live in security that is available 24hours a day. Should noise ever be a problem again, call the front desk and we can solve the problem. In fact, we always appreciate the opportunity to correct any problems that you may encounter during your stay.

Owner

Reviewed 12 June 2007

We stayed here for multiple nights, both over the weekend and during the week. The rooms were OK, but for $60+ per night I honestly would have expected better. Lots and lots of noisy activity outside in the parking lot 24/7, the continental breakfast was sparse to say the least, and multiple towels had some scary brown and red stains on them. The bathtub filled up pretty quickly while taking a shower and there was nothing we could do to drain it.

The one really nice thing about the hotel is the proximity to Hog Heaven BBQ, easily the best BBQ in Durham.

The Red Roof Inn and Days Inn, both only a few minutes away, are MUCH better and cost much less.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank WhoKnows123
Reviewed 6 April 2007

Based on the previous reviews, I did not know exactly whether I would
like this hotel or not. I decided to stay based on the beds, because I have a bad back. The rates were good, the continental breakfast was
more than I would expect, and I liked the people. While it was not a hilton, I also did not pay for the hilton. The room was very nice, and came with a free microwave and refrigerator.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Peachtree_7
Reviewed 7 March 2007

We stayed on a Friday night. Maybe things are better during the week, but I certainly was uncomfortable staying there on a Friday night. Our room was dirty (small pieces of pepperoni from a pizza still on the floor). We had no internet in the room, so I had to leave my kids (15 and 12) in the room so I could work from the lobby. While in the lobby, the police had to be called because of a disturbance in one of the rooms. It was obvious the police have been there many times as they didn't need directions to the room (2 separate police officers), they were just told which room and took off for it. The lady involved in the incident was strung out on drugs. The man came back after an hour and I took off for my room, as I didn't want to be around if something bad happened. On my way back to the room, I had to walk past a couple making out. This motel is NOT a place for families. I checked out EARLY Saturday morning and went across the street to the Holiday Inn Express. Yes more expensive, but worth the piece of mind. I will say that the Front Desk clerk offered me a better room with internet for the same price, but I turned it down. The afternood clerk was surly when I asked about a room with internet, but the other employess were all nice. The evening clerk was excellent in handling the situation of the room disturbance.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank MetMom
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2007

Dear MetMom,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here, but I assure you that it was an isolated incidence. You see, I have run this hotel for four years, and in that time there has not been one violent crime on our property. This property is safe, and I am a woman. We have no more problems here than the property across the street, and infact, since the doors are outward facing, we have stronger doors. The door to each of our rooms is more secure than the door at your home, and at the Holiday Inn Express. Statistically speaking, hotels with interior corridors are not safer. Additionally, I am sure people kiss at the other hotels too, but I am sorry that offended you.

We just replaced part of our housekeeping staff in order to ensure cleanliness at our hotel. I wish we had of known, for we would have gladly remedied the problem. All hotels experience a miss in this area occasionally. But I am sorry you had to be the one who experienced it.

Safe travels to you,

Reviewed 18 January 2007

I booked a double for 2 nights with internet, fridge, and we were surprised by how great a bargain it was. We were down from New York City for an event with a local scooter club, and liked how close the Duke was to all that we wanted to see. Staff was great in getting us extra towels and a fold-a-bed, breakfast was more than we expected and the staff recommendation for best pork BBQ was right on target.

Sure, some of the rooms looked like they were being renovated and the road construction out front made it tougher to enter, but that should be gone by the spring I suppose.

If it weren't too early to book for next year, I would have already done it.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank Allstate125
BVCarolinaDukeInn, General Manager at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2007

Dear Allstate,

Thank you for you response and new nickname for our hotel (the Duke). As I said to VespaJersey, our goal is to offer a value, and it is very nice to hear that we are succeeding.

I agree, Hog Heaven is gooood. If you are adventurous, the Vietnamese is surprisingly good and frequented by Duke professors, international students, and...the adventurous.

Reviewed 15 January 2007

So I just got back from a three day stay at the Duke Inn. I was in town from New Jersey for a Vintage Scooter Rally. Anyway, before I booked the room I read the other reviews on this site.

Let me tell you first of all the staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and I found everything in working order. Best of all is the value. If your looking for the five star experience go elsewhere.

Just so you know that for under 50 bucks a night this is one of the best places I've ever stayed at, and yes I will be back next year.

-FYBO 2007 Scooter Rally attendee

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank VespaJersey

Dear VespaJersey,

Thank you so much for your response, as we are very happy that you were pleased with the hotel and its staff. We really appreciate that you took the time to post this review.

When we first took over, we had a goal of offering people more for their money, a fair deal--while keeping the experience comfortable. It is gratifying to hear that you feel we have accomplished that.