“You can skip this hotel”

Comfort Inn University
Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Durham
northcarolina
“You can skip this hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Hotel just seems old and run down. Bed was very low with the softest mattress and pillows I have ever slept on. Felt like the mattress was way past its prime. Breakfast was not bad. Several other hotels in immediate area-would pick any of those first.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travelpt10
gmnc132, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking time and posting your thoughts. We are constantly working to improve our property and deliver the best possible service. The good news is that we have been in the process of rectifying many of the items you commented on.

The hotel was built in 1990; we did a complete renovation inside and out last year. The only item we were unable to renovate, was the bedding. The new bedding that Comfort Inn is rolling out includes a selection of pillows labeled firm, medium and soft. Since the mattresses are only 3-years old they are not due for replacement just yet.

I am happy you liked our breakfast and enjoyed our service. I hope you will give us another try, let us know if you have an issue, we would appreciate an opportunity rectify.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Schrocket
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Our experience here was generally unpleasant. We had elderly parents in one room and we were in another. The lobby seemed clean and updated, so we gave it a chance. Our rooms on the first floor were definitely so-so. Ok decor, but just sort of "off" and poorly maintained. See photos. Not really a fault of the cleaning staff, because the rooms were clean enough on the surface....they just need maintenance and carpet cleaning. The bedspread was stained. The faucet in the shower, for example, just stuck out of a hole in the wall on a pipe, so water could go behind the wall. Floor lamp was broken and cockeyed. In the three nights there, neither room had working heat. The maintenance person was very nice, and would re-start it, but then it would kick off, and he never got it to work which, for the elderly with us, was very problematic. He offered to give us a different room, but since units were broken in both rooms, we weren't optimistic about our chances in another.The rooms also smelled quite heavily of mildew, and all of us woke up coughing in the night. The rooms were a bit dark and dingy so we didn't initially notice the stains and actual black mold on the ceiling of our room until our adult son visited and had a near-immediate asthma attack. The security door into the hotel from the side parking lot was broken and never locked consistently during our visit which made everyone feel a little insecure. Looking at older reviews, I see that this has been a problem for some time. The toilet is cramped (see photo). Breakfast was available in an unpleasant dining area with really glaring fluorescent light. The food itself was like gas station food, although they did have a self-service waffle maker and yogurt.
Twice, when we went to the front desk, there was no-one there for an extended period of time and people were there waiting to check in or out. The staff was not unfriendly, but not overly available either. They didn't act surprised that we were checking out early, nor ask why.
Ultimately, after three nights, we cancelled the remainder of our reservation and moved next door to the Homewood Suites which, for around $20 a night more, had beautiful suites with kitchens, was immaculate, and included both a nice breakfast and dinner. On the plus side, restaurants and shopping centers abound nearby, and access to the highway is easy. We have stayed comfortably at other Comfort Suites and were sorry that this one was so disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Schrocket
College Park, Georgia
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I'm a diamond member with choice so I was upgraded to the suite (room 313) and it was very spacious and nice. It had a hot tub and seperate living room. I really enjoyed it. The staff was nice and friendly. The bed was comfortable and the hotel is up the street from practically everything (walmart, best food, fast food, dine in, movies, etc.). Excellent stay and reasonable price. I'll definitely be staying here again and recommending it to all my coworkers when they are in town.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Maryland
Reviewed 5 November 2012

First off, the staff was very pleasent and helpfull.

The location was great, right smack in the middle of everthing. Seems like everything was only a five minute drive, which is a good thing.

Price was resonable, $79 for a weekday night.

The two biggest issues we had: The room was hot, even with the AC cranked all the way up. The room was always around 78-80.

Issue #2, the room and the hotel was just musty smelling. I mean it was overpowering at points. In the room, hotel lobby, elevator, the dinning area...it was pretty bad. It seem liked there was some serious water damage to the hotel or something like that.

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank thedukea1
gmnc132, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
I hope that the next time you visit in our area; you will once again choose to stay at Comfort INN University. I think you will be greatly pleased. Thank you for taking time to help us understand how we can do better.
Felton, California
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We got sent here when our other hotel was "full". It was comfortable enough and the staff was nice. Rooms were quiet. Didnt have the breakfast but appeared to be standard free breakfast fare. A bit far from the university but plenty of restaurants nearby. A quiet road just off a very busy highway and an interstate.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Carneys Point, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a newer hotel in an area of town that is newer and plenty of places to eat. Room was clean as the hotel was. Breakfast was standard. If I wouls pick on one thing it would be the fitness room, it upstairs on a floor that was full of smoke. The room itself is huge some plenty of room to workout, equipment is older and could use some updated, but works once you figure it out. I would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank richard9i
Thank you for your kind words....you made our day.
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I read the reviews about some of the other desk clerks below but I was lucky and found Emma working the evening I checked in at the Comfort Inn University in Durham. When I made my reservation on my iPhone and apparently clicked on a Comfort Inn (CI) in another part of town by mistake. Unfortunately, it was after 6pm so Emma advised me to call the other CI directly. The clerk there transferred me to central Choice reservations who kept transferring me back to the CI. This process unfortunately took almost 20 minutes and I Emma could tell I was frustrated even though it was no fault of this location. When I got off the phone, Emma offered me a bottle of cold water, had my room already set up with a very reasonable rate. She also took upon herself to upgrade me to a suite room (I'm a Platinum Diamond Choice Privileges member which allows you free upgrades but I usually have to ask for them. She was very upbeat, helpful & efficient and instantly turned my evening around. The suite was spacious & spotless. The workout was large and actually had Nautilus equipment in it. My only complaint was the breakfast area was fairly small, crowded & was not maintained very well (Luke warm coffee, yogurt was barely cold & dirty tables). Other than that, I will definitely stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite!