“Needs Renovation”

Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Needs Renovation”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Service standard in this hotel has noticeably deteriorated since I was last here about a year ago. Apart from overall musty smell in corridors, in room 332, it appears as if someone took a damp cloth and tried to wipe mildew or mold from several areas of the ceiling. The bathtub was not draining properly and I quickly had water rising to my ankles, abruptly ended my shower. Bathroom sink also had similar drainage problems. Light sleepers may need some earplugs for the very loud A/C unit which kept cycling on and off during the night.

At breakfast, there were just the very basics -- coffee, yogurt, juice, waffle, bread and powdered eggs. Instead of replenishing the supplies before they ran out, the attendant seems to wait until all is gone before doing so. Consequently, at the time I was there (about 7 am), there was no powdered egg, bread and cutlery for about 20 minutes.

Reasonable rates for easy access to RTI, Duke, UNC, etc., with lots of nearby restaurants and shopping facilities. Front desk and housekeeping were also very pleasant; however, the problems appear to be beyond their control.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank tak009
gmnc132, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Sorry you feel our service has gone down. We do try to be perfect 100% and sometimes we fail. We are sorry you were disappointed and will try better.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Room smelled dank and mildewy. Linens all felt slightly damp. Shower was clogged with brown sludge and would barely drain. It was disgusting. We were too exhausted to flee the night we arrived, but we checked out the next morning and stayed elsewhere for the rest of our trip. There are nicer hotels in the immediate vicinity of this one. In our opinion, it was worth paying an extra $20 a night for accommodation that wasn't revolting. The staff were nice enough and let us out of our reservation without a question though (got the sense this happens a lot).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Doug B
Thank you for taking time to let us know how we are doing, we will always try and do better.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got back from a great weekend with my family and youth track club. The Comfort Inn met most of my expectations, but not all.

Pros:
I must say this hotel was a pleasant surprise for the room and location (lots of shops and restaurants nearby). I also liked the lobby and sitting area (coffee/tea all day) . The desk staff was great and tried to accommodate anything that we needed. The pool was decent. My kids and athletes had a great time in the water... Would have loved a hot tub outside, but I did have a King suite w/ whirlpool in my room. The Belgian waffle makers at breakfast are always a hit.

Cons:
I had a roll-away bed in the room, so extra pillows were needed. The cleaning persons took the pillows, so I had to ask for more daily. It was a little difficult when almost none of them spoke any English. The whirlpool tub, drained extremely slowly, and I only used the shower. Needless to say, that was not very pleasant having water rise over my feet as I am showering. Lastly, please do something about those powdered eggs... They were watery and bland.

All-in all the hotel was a hit and fit our needs for a short stay. Yes, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: 317 faces the pool and parking lot... Not a bad view, especially if you have kids that you want to k...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
gmnc132, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to let us know how we are doing. We think it’s a great location too; especially if you like a variety of dining options that are within walking distance and shopping.
Totowa, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I traveled here with my team of 12 basketball players. I booked a block of four rooms. Upon arrival I find I receive the keys for our rooms. One of my girls goes to into her room and walks in on a couple in their room! Then in the room next store the same thing happens.

When I went to the front desk to explain this they seemed confused but realized they assigned the room to two different people.

Not only was I annoyed but so were the people currently in the room.

There solution to the problem after 45 minutes was to place one group of 4 on the first floor and the other group in the smoking section on the fourth floor while I was on the 2nd floor.

This is completely unacceptable!! We travelled 9 hours on a bus for a basketball tournament. I am chaperoning 12 high school girls, and this was their solution!

Not only that but these reservations were made three months ago. I'm very disappointed and UNC shouldn't recommend this hotel to any teams traveling for tournaments.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank npucci129
I am so sorry about the mix-up in your reservations; we do have new staff members that are being trained. We hire for personality and those who we think will be good in problem solving and customer satisfaction, then train for the skills needed. Unfortunate, we were sold out that evening and she had limited options once she realized her mistake, she did try her best. We did review how to handle this differently in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed here on business. While a good bit away from the destination (Franklin St.) this was still a good choice for a business stay. The clerk assigned a quiet room on the third floor. There were two sets of towels and a comfy bed. The room was quiet with few disturbances, even though we were near the stairs. I had a full eight hours of sleep, enough light by which to study, and a feeling of safety.

In the morning, there were adequate toiletries and a hot shower.

Issues that prove it's not the Ritz? The adjoining room next to ours had a broken slide lock, but there was another deadbolt.

We needed more towels, but there is no room service for this, so we needed to collect them at the desk, and they were handed loosely, with no hand towels.

Breakfast was not great - the powdered eggs were fairly bad - but it was nourishing, and the coffee was fine. There were also pastry options. It was good that breakfast was included.

Overall, it was a quiet, updated hotel that provided a good night's sleep and easy stay.

Room Tip: Tell the clerk if you are there on business; you may get a quieter room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Our hotel is in a great location for business traveler o visiting one of our Universities.

I am sorry you did not find our breakfast to your liking. We offer 8 different kinds of yogurts (including Greek), waffles, muffins, pastries, pound cake, croissants, French toast. Five different fresh fruits, toast 6 different cereals hot and cold, and wide variety of rotating hot breakfast items. Please let us know how we can do better, we will always try.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were looking for a reasonably priced room near family and friends. We found it here - it was nicer than expected and for the price - unbeatable. It was also very quiet. As a bonus, we were given a second floor room overlooking a tree in the parking lot, so our view was green and leafy! We will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel. Come back soon!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our room was comfortable and quiet -- lots of pillows, towels and hot water. The staff was always helpful. Comfort Inn University is located near Duke University and restaurants. Cannot beat the rates with breakfast included.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel, I will share with our team.