“Good Value”

Comfort Inn University
Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Very pleasant staff. Great king suite-not fancy but clean. Good value. Close to UNC Chapel Hill campus. Breakfast was okay-eggs, make your own waffles, yogurt, muffins, etc. Pool was nice.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 April 2010

My fiance and I had stayed here the weekend before Valentines day. Although the people working there didn't seem to friendly, the maids were nice. The hotel was clean, and the bathrooms were clean. The hotels are older, so there is a musky/ mildew like smell. So I wish the windows would have opened. They need to get a better ventilation system & nicer employees working the front desk. Other wise this review would have been much higher. I would recommend this room to someone on a slim budget.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Over the past few years I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions. Lately it has gone down hill to the point where I will not come back. The halls are damp and musty. The was mildew in the shower. The included breakfast is quite poor. The only fruit was a basket of apples, not even raisins for cereal. When I asked about toast I was told they no longer have bread, only bagels which looks this frozen bagels. People seems to wander the halls talking loudly half the night and since there did not appear to be any security, no only told them to keep the noise level down. There are several much better choices within half a mile. Until they renovate and upgrade this hotel, avoid it!!!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 124C41NewEngland
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Myself and my family stayed at the Comfort Inn University after going to a show at the DPAC, the show was great but our stay was very much a disappointment. In the middle of the night we were woken by a loud knock on the door but we did not answer it, I'm thinking this was a good move. The following morning as we started to load our car to leave we found that our Vehicle had been broken into. The back window was shattered and several items were missing. The hotel Insurance called today and after their investigation have informed us they will not reinburst us for our losses or damages to our vehicle. We were one of three cars broken into on February 14th 2009. No, the hotel didn't have cameras in the parking lot at the rear of the building and was lacking security.‎ We are now out over $500.00 dollars for our one night stay.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank RhapsodyBlue
Reviewed 11 October 2009

This motel is in a great location, had excellent staff, decent breakfast, good sized rooms. No soundproofing at all - I knew exactly when the people above me flushed, use the sink or the shower. I could have participated in hallway conversations without raising my voice.

The internet service was the slowest I have seen since I last used dial up years ago. I didn't know it was possible to be that slow without dial up. I will not stay there again for that reason. I do business off my laptop. and it was impossible. Just a nightmare. Note that it is free, and they probably bill it as "high speed". It sure isn't though!

The bed was very comfortable, although the sheets really didn't quite fit.

Plus, I'm a gold elite member, and yet I had a room with a view of a wall three feet away. Thanks Choice Hotels - I could really tell I was appreciated for my repeat business!

If you want a moderate priced hotel in the Durham/Chapel Hill area this one is ok, but I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I found this hotel in general to be just what I'd expect for the price I paid ($80/night). Not much different from most lower-priced chain hotels, but perfectly adequate.

Most important: the bedding was clean and in good condition. This includes the mattress. The room was fine overall.

Reviewers often seem to complain about the carpeting in hotel rooms - the carpeting in my room was fine. The carpeting in the hallways, and espectially the lobby hallways, could stand to be replaced.

I thought the free breakfast was decent. Combined with the coffee maker in the room, there was plenty of coffee. Hotel grounds, including the pool were fine.

The fact that the hotel was walking distance from a couple of decent restaurants is nice, and convenient.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn for four nights. We had reserved a King Suite on the third floor.

The room served it's purpose. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked, as did the A/C. We were not disturbed by the highway nearby. The wireless internet worked without any trouble as well. I would agree with some of the other reviewers, the room was a little worn, but everything worked as it should. The bathroom has a jacuzzi tub which was very enjoyable.

The location of the hotel is fairly convenient. It is right off of the 270 exit of I-40. It is on 15-501 which takes you in to Durham or in to Chapel Hill. There is a shopping center right across the street from the hotel with a Kroger, Subway, Panera, and a number of other stores.

The breakfast was decent, although the staff was a little slow to re-fill items.

We did not use the pool, but it seemed popular.

Overall our stay was pleasant. We would probably stay again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)