“Was great until I wanted to shower”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Durham
New Bern, North Carolina
“Was great until I wanted to shower”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I needed a room in the RTP area for a night. Everything started off well. I found the front desk clerk helpful and friendly. The room was clean and the room service dinner was pretty good.

I got up and worked on a few things for the day ahead and then went to take a shower to get ready for an afternoon meeting. When I turned on the shower I found out that there was no water. I called the front desk and they informed me that there was not water due to renovations and that I should have been informed at check in that it would be turned off. I was never informed of this. I told them that I had to get ready for a meeting and there only solution was to take a cold shower in the pool area or wait for 2 hours for the water to be cut back on. Neither solution worked for me. I had to call a friend that lives in the area and use their home to get ready.

This was not the experience that I expected from a Hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
On behalf of the entire staff of the Doubletree Suites Hotel, we extend our sincerest apologies. While we are unable to control the water issue during our renovation, it certainly is unacceptable that you were not informed of such at arrival. Please feel free to contact my assistant, Dan, at 919-361-4660 to discuss your experience in greater detail. Once again, we are truly sorry.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
Alexandria, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

If you're looking for great accomodations, food and service, The Doubletree in Durham NC is the place for it all. I arrived early and they got a room for me right away so I didn't have to wait. Love this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so very much for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay with us. We could not be more pleased that you experienced "great accomodations, food and service". We take great pride in offering the same experience to each and every one of our valued guest's. Hope to see you again soon!
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed two nights when my air conditioner broke in September over Labor Day weekend. Got a great price from the hotel website--packed my bags and moved in. The warm cookie, huge two room suite, and comfy bed were terrific. There's a large counter with a minibar sink, a half fridge, and a microwave, and a coffeemaker. What's really really dumb is that the waste container is the size of a bathroom wastebasket--but it has a plastic divider inside to subdivide the wastebasket into slots for recyclables and non-recyclables. Now I am a fiend about recycling, but the side of the basket had no room for water bottles, cans. A rolled up newspaper was all that fit. And for travelers who are gonna stay and warm up meals in the microwave--well, their trash won't fit in the wastebasket either, and you have to pile your trash in an untidy heap. It's a small thing, but other travelers are raning bout the same thing. On my second night, I noticed I didn't have the bottled water I was supposed to have, and I had no washcloths wither--It took two calls and over an hour to get these things--but the front desk person was very apologetic and brought the wash cloths personally since she couldn't get hold of housekeeping. The room next door had laughing, jumping, running, shrieking kids all perfectly audible at 9 at night, but the front desk asked them to pipe down. The gym wasn't clean, and the treadmill squeaked unbearably. There was only one elliptical machine.

The toiletries were Crabtree and were really nice. The air conditioner worked beautifully. The staff were super friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback about your recent stay. We take all of your comments seriously as we continually strive to provide each of our guests a pleasant and memorable experience. I am glad to hear that you found our dedicated and committed staff of professionals to be "super friendly".
Greenville, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

great and wonderful hotel for the price. internet access at 9.95 is a bit ridiculous. I need it, so I had to pay it, but really a hotel of this magnitude should not charge guests to access the internet. everything else, however was wonderful and well worth the price and my business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful review of your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you found our spacious suites to be a great value and "well worth the price". We invite you to return and allow us to serve you again soon!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I loved my stay at the Doubletree Suites near the Raleigh-Durham airport. It is tucked away in a somewhat secluded spot with lots of trees and greenery. It is only a few minutes from the airport, though. I never heard an airplane come in during my entire stay. The suite is very nice - spacious with two television sets, a larger refrigerator, and a very large bathroom. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a lack of electrical outlets. I have a CPAP machine, and I had to unplug a table lamp by the bed to plug it in. The outlet was also in a difficult place to reach - right in the center of the headboard. Other than that slight complaint, everything else was lovely. The hotel is quiet. I ordered room service, and the salmon I ordered was cooked perfectly. The hotel staff is extremely nice, and the breakfast in the restaurant was great. Lots of choices on the continental breakfast that comes free if you are an elite member of Hilton Honors.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
It was a pleasure having you as a valued guest, and we truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us your kind review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your "Sweet Suite", and thank you for the great tag line! I have passed on your compliments to our Chef and the entire team in the Piney Point Grill regarding your food and beverage experience. We would love to host you again in the near future!
Boston, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

My mom and I stayed here for one night because it was close to the airport. The staff was more than nice the whole time we were there. LOBBY: We were greeted with smiles and the man helping us was so sweet and seemed like a friend rather than being nice cause he had to. RESTAURANT: It was good, nothing too fancy. We ordered salads, soup and chicken strips and it came out fast and fresh. Our waiter was also very nice and attentive. ROOM: Our room was very clean and big. The beds are super soft and I liked that there was a fridge and coffee pot. Our stay was short but I would have like the amenities if I stayed longer. We didn't get to try the pool or other lake activities but I would stay there again and try them out!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Jennifer S
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
On behalf of the entire staff at the Doubletree Suites Raleigh-Durham, we thank you for your review and sharing your experience with other travelers. I have passed on your compliments to the team members that you have recognized and they certainly will be recognized for providing you great service. We invite you back to enjoy our additional amenities such as our indoor/outdoor pool, paddleboats on our beautiful lake or our sand volleyball court. See you soon!
Stanwell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed on buisness and found the primary benefit was the location and free shuttle service. The staff were without exception extremely helpful and went out of their way to assist me. I felt wi-fi should have been free to use but other than that the facilities were good with the hotel switch connecting all calls perfectly. I can not assess the leisure facilities as I did not have time to use them. The hotel needed updating in parts but one of the staff mentioned there are plans in place to do this soon as it stands when I stayed the rooms were all suite, spacious and clean but a little 90's feeling. On balance I would be very happy to stay again and would hope to see the same people working there, I'd just never order a small pizza in room again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rachel_01010
Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent experience at our hotel. The best compliment that we can receive is to know that you would stay with us again on a future visit to Raleigh-Durham. I am glad that you found our dedicated staff to be extremely helpful and you enjoyed our convenient location and complimentary shuttle service. We look forward to serving you again!