“A nice surprise”

Ranked #8 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We intended to stay just overnight, but liked this hotel so much that we extended our visit. The cookies! Forgot about those; what a nice way to start. The room (505) was very clean and large, the beds were very comfortable. The view from our room was a lovely pond with a walking/jogging trail around it and we could look down onto the pool.

We were in Durham to explore the sights, but the large indoor/outdoor pool kept calling to us and we cut short our explorations during this period of very hot weather. The pool was very clean and there were plenty of chairs for everyone. Most of the time it was very quiet, although kids don't usually bother us.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar, but I couldn't recommend it. The service was very poor and the food so-so. In addition, it was very loud in there. The only other negative comment is that there is a $10/per day charge for internet. That is too much, from my point of view.

Room Tip: Loved our room: 505
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart D, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Durham, and in our hotel. Those cookies sure are delicious. Please note for future stays, that we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby and business center. I am sorry you did not enjoy our restaurant. I will share your comments with staff. I hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
Cincinnati, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have a daughter who attends UNC and when we come to visit her we stay in this hotel. The rates are great and the facility is wonderful. This hotel has the feel of a resort in a non-resort area. I recommend it highly.

Wilmington, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Doubletree in Durham was a perfect spot. The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable. My family loved the indoor-outdoor pool and tennis courts. The view of the lake was very pretty. I enjoyed running the lake and there is a mile trail around the office complex. We will stay here again for sure!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and our facilities. If you enjoyed the view, you should definitely see it in the fall when the leaves are changing. We sure hope to see you with us again sometime.
Millry, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband had a business trip and my son and I came with him. We loved this hotel. The rooms were very clean, and extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the pool, paddle-boating on the lake , and the bicycle trails. The rooms were very quiet. The breakfast bar had everything that you could want and was delicious. Our favorite waitress was a German woman that was so friendly. I can't remember her name, but she was so nice. She took up so much time with my son. She gave us excellent recommendations on museums. We loved our stay at the Doubletree Hilton and hated to leave.

Chapel hill
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I liked everything this hotel had to offer: great facilities, nice room and good food. Highly recommend staying here because of the great staff. The only negative comment I have is regarding the manager on duty. The couple times I saw him interacting with guests, he seemed reticent and not willing to accommodate their requests or willing to make any compromise. His condescending behavior not only made the wait time in line longer for me, but it clearly disgruntled his guests. This was unsettling, considering how friendly and helpful I found all the other staff. True professionals would know how to keep their insecure tendencies and behaviors concealed. It was apparent he could learn a few lessons in hospitality and professionalism from his staff.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Oatguy
Stuart D, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay here recently. I apologize the apparent unhospitable nature of one of our staff members. We do talk about and stress things like body language and empathy on a regular basis, and we will continue to do so. I hope that we see you again in the future.
Malibu
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The shuttle drivers were very nice. Dan was especially accommodating and friendly. We had a long stay with no rental car, and he made this trip much more pleasant. He really understands customer service.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Suzy2003
Albany, NY, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel has the best environment, location, and facilities; calm, private, relaxing, clean, friendly, has a lot of outdoor activities and walking areas. It has the best pool, hot tub, workout room, tennis courts, basketball hoops, small lake with walking trail around it and a waterfall, also, it has an excellent buffet breakfast, beautiful comfortable rooms (we had a balcony too!!!), fantastic room service, and great staff. We will definitely go back, and look forward to it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family