“Perfect stay in the heart of Durham”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Charlotte, NC
“Perfect stay in the heart of Durham”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I took my daughter to a concert at the Durham Performing Arts Center, and I made a reservation well in advance at the Marriott City Center. I made the reservation based simply on the location of the hotel. It was just a few short blocks from the Performing Arts Center. Turns out it was the perfect location. If you are doing business in downtown Durham or simply attending a concert, this is a great choice. We arrived at the hotel at about 10pm, and at first I thought there was no valet. Within a few seconds, a gentleman walked out of the hotel and I asked if there was a valet, and he replied, "I will take care of your car and your bags for you." He waited patiently while we decide what we needed from the car and helped us with our bags. He then told me valet parking is FREE for female guests traveling alone! Wow! Loved it! After escorting us to check-in and then to our room, he explained the hours and location of the courtesy lounge on the concierge floor, where we were staying. We couldn't have received better service if we'd been staying at a Four Seasons! The front desk staff checked us in quickly and answered all my questions with a smile too! After settling in, we ordered room service. It's not 24 hours, so we needed to order before the 11pm closing. Service was fast, and the food was great. It wasn't "institutional" tasting like some room service foods can be. After eating, we fell into bed and slept beautifully through the night. The room was nicely appointed, and the bathroom had all the toiletries we could need. The next morning, we stepped across the hall to the concierge lounge for breakfast, which was surprisingly delicious. My daughter had fresh-made waffles and bacon, while I opted for eggs and bacon, all served hot from the buffet. The coffee was hot and plentiful, and the lady working in the lounge was very friendly and accommodating. We could not have asked for a better experience. Later, I called down with my valet ticket number, and when we checked out, the car was ready and waiting. Again, the hotel staff bent over backward to help us in any way they could. We were extremely pleased with the Marriott City Center and will definitely stay there when we find ourselves in Durham again.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Kelly M
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for great comments! Our staff will be smiling and happy to see your compliments and be proud of serving our wonderful guests!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I was there for business and got in at 1:30 am. It wasn't a nice trip and I was exhausted. The valet guy did not offer the free valet service and wanted me to park the car this early in the morning 3 blocks away. Thank goodness the front desk guy noticed how tired I was and offered the free valet service and parked my car. This hotel is not in a good location. There is nothing to walk to, just old buildings. Make sure you eat a Nana's restaurant, it was excellent service, only a 15 minutes ride.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced first. We will do better serve you in the future.
New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed here recently while in town to visit Duke. The hotel is located about a mile away from Duke's East Campus, where the freshmen live, and a few miles from the West Campus where the upperclassmen live.

Overall enjoyed our 2 night stay. The rooms are clean if outdated. The wallpaper in the hallway was some sort of orange, which looked like it was straight from the 1970s. But the room was clean and quiet and the staff was friendly.

The only negative to this hotel was the parking, which others have commented on. The free Marriott lot is around the corner, behind a local convention hall/events space. It's a short walk, but at night it's isolated. I felt safe enough but women traveling alone should probably just use the valet at night. I think it's $10.

Otherwise, the hotel is right in downtown Durham, which is basically a dump. To be fair, it's getting better, but there's nothing much worth going to downtown, in my opinion. Some blocks have seen some investment and have been modernized, while others have boarded up shops and sketchy characters walking around. Would not walk around at night.

But overall, this hotel is a good spot if you're visiting Duke or the area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed our staff and service. Please come back and try places like Durham Performing Art Center, Carolina Theatre, Durham Bulls games etc while staying with us. You will like it!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights here for the Duke University School of Law Parents' Weekend. We have stayed here approximately 3 times before in the last 2 years. The service and cleanliness has much improved in this time. Now both are excellent: the front desk staff are warm and welcoming. The kitchen of the restaurant is a bit slow and apparently disorganized; but, the waitstaff are cheerful and try to make the best of it. The food itself is quite good, especially the breakfast: the fare on the buffet is actually quite fresh and appealing, not the warmed over stuff one usually associates with this type of service. Parking is gratis, though sometimes the lot is over-filled. The location is quite convenient. The rooms are of the typical, boring bland Marriott style. Furnishings are a bit dated; but the place is kept quite clean.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Orso52
Wendy_Jeffries, Director of Sales at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you very much for your comments, and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. The greatest compliment to our staff is repeat business, and we are very pleased that you have visited us several times, and hope that you continue to make us your home away from home!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights here. The hotel was very good - comfortable and kept up well. Very quiet, despite the presence of two wedding parties. We heard a little commotion out in the hall once late at night, but otherwise it was fine. I had lunch in the restaurant - a Greek salad and glass of wine. Very good and reasonable priced. They offer valet parking, but the free parking lot (accessible with your room key) is right across the street - a very short walk. All the staff we came into contact with were both friendly and professional. This hotel seems to know what it is doing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RFMN
Wendy_Jeffries, Director of Sales at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
We are so pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay and dining experience with us. In this busy world we live in, we do not take for granted the time guests take to let us know how we are doing, and we share every comment with our entire staff. We hope that you will choose to be our guest again in the very near future!
Johnson City, tn.
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I owe them more than my middle of the night review, but, oh well..We had a wonderful experience at this hotel! And I want to advise all hotels to be sure that their front desk is as welcoming as this one. Jahmed and everyone else were welcoming and professional. The mood was set... We had a wonderful night--even 'tho we had an adjoining room door where we could hear everything (actually, kind of fun). The room was updated and clean (I have allergies to dust mites, but everything was O.K.) The bathroom was small, but O.K.--it didn't matter--the front desk set a positive mood. Everyone on staff greeted and was friendly. Housekeeping (Carmela) ran to get us what we needed. Fantastic staff!! I don't demand service--but, it was lovely to receive it! Oh, yes, central to all venues. We walked to our wonderful show (Memphis,the Musical-greatest thing I ever saw from front row). We are too poor to use their restaurant or room service, but McDonald's is one block away and great for breakfast! I loved this hotel!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and comments with us! Our warm and friendly staff enjoy receiving positive feedback, and they love being service superstars for our guests. We are so glad that you enjoyed 'Memphis', it had a great run here in Durham! The Durham Performing Arts Center has many wonderful Broadway shows headed to downtown this year, and we hope to once again have you as our guest!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Close to Duke with plenty of space to explore the city. Close to the minor league stadium, restaurants and bars.

• Stayed January 2012