“Beware”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Durham
“Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Is this a Marriott? What terrible standards. The van drivers look like criminals, every front desk person had a different uniform on. The hotel was outdated. Seemed like I stepped into the late 70's. Box projection TV's in my room. For a hotel that small and with a name like Marriott I would think they would have flat screens in the room. It's clear to me whoever runs this dump is cutting cost. I couldn't even fathom walking into work each day and walking on that hideous carpet. The hotel smelled like a mixture of mold, mildew, cigarette smoke and industrial chemicals. I'm was kind of relieved in the chemical smell. At least they attempted to clean. Then in the morning the wait staffs white shirts were dingy and wrinkled, the server looked like she just rolled out of bed. I couldn't believe this is was an actual Marriott and not a Red Roof Inn. On a brighter note the location was excellent. Only hotel in the downtown area, which I found to be odd. The valet was nice but took forever to get my vehicle. I figured it was in a secure lot or deck somewhere down the street but they park the cars in te same self parking lot across the street. I could have saved $10 a day just by walking 6 steps across the street. Then the pillows in my room were yellow and had a bad odor. I called for another set but it took forever and they were worst than the originals. I literally bought my son pillows for college from Walmart at $5.00 each and were so much more comfortable. They claimed this is non-smoking hotel but my room smelled like a Hookah bar. I asked to move my room and the van driver/ bellman/valet/ front desk agent took forever. I called again and they're we're no bell carts available. Then I finally went downstairs myself and the van driver was in the gift shop reading a paper. When I grabber one of the three luggage carts he asked if I needed assistance. At this point I wanted to scream. Then my new room must have been over a fan or generator because there was constant noise all night. At this point I was not going I move my room again and had to endure it. Overall my experience was a 1 out of 10. I would not recommended this 1 star hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Travelguy861
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I was so disturbed to hear about your stay. We are here representing Marriott very proudly with our service and products that we offer to our guests. So it was very disappointing to hear that we didn’t attain your 100% satisfaction. We take guest concerns very seriously because you tell us what we are doing great and what we need to improve on. I would really like to ask you to please contact me directly at 919-768-6011 with little more information (I.E; room number, date of stay etc…) because some of the comments you made, such as Van drivers look like criminals (we hire and train great associates and they are all well groomed in uniforms and act professionally to serve our guests), every Front Desk person had a different uniform (All Front Desk agents have same Marriott standard uniforms unless they are Managers and supervisors), Box projection TV(All of our rooms have flat screen plasma TVs), wait staffs white shirts were dingy and wrinkled (all of our wait staffs uniforms are black stripe, no one wears white), pillows were yellow and had a bad odor (we wash and dry them thoroughly and dispose if any stains found) etc…. I have more questions to ask you so we can immediately start to work on improvement. Please give us opportunity to do so by contacting me again at 919-768-6011. Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to let us know about your bad experience. I look forward to your call.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Pacific Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

In a part of town one would not have dared to venture 10 years ago- area is now on it's way to being the trendy boutiquey area. Overall the hotel is good. Probably 5 star for the area but 4 star in general. Front desk staff welcoming and helpful. Comforable stay. Excellent breakfast available at restaurant 2 blocks away "Rue Cler" kind of Parisian believe it or not.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us great compliments for our Front Desk staff! Yes, we are in the heart of this great City of Durham where you can do many exciting things. Going to Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Art Center, Durham Bulls, and tasting great food in many popular local restaurants…. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed here recently while visiting the Duke campus (which is a very short drive away -- I won't say easy, however, because of the current road construction). If you are wanting access to downtown businesses, it is an excellent location. We walked to several good restaurants during our stay. The beds are SUPER comfy -- great pillows. I understand why Marriott has a catalog in the room of their products you can purchase. The room and bathroom are also clean and spacious.

And that is where my good comments end. When we checked in (around 7:00 PM on a Wednesday night) the lobby was not really busy -- and there were three staff working the desk. But it took more minutes than it should have for them to silently decide amongst themselves who was going to verbally acknowledge our presence. We were not warmly welcomed. Were not really talked to at all. Just handed the key. Weren't even told our room number -- good thing it was written on the key card folder. Once in our room, it didn't take long to figure out this is NOT a quiet hotel. The walls are paper thing -- and unfortunately we were in a room next to a screaming baby. Also -- either everyone on our floor was slamming their doors or the tension on the doors needs to be adjusted to keep them from slamming. Laying in bed -- the headboard actually shook every time someone's door closed down the hall. And it woke me up during the night a few times too. Last complaint -- no pool! I don't know why I didn't notice this on the hotel's web site -- I just assumed a Marriott of this size would have a pool!

Room Tip: NO POOL! Paper thin walls
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us honest feedback which is very important to us. We will compliment our Housekeeping staff for their great work and we will coach our Front Desk staff for immediate improvement. I am also very sorry to hear that you didn’t ‘t have a good sleep due to noise. Please contact me directly at 919-768-6011, I will do my best to take care of you.
Lincoln, Nebraska, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I stay in Marriott all the time. This one was ok - nothing especially good or bad.

It's a little dated - could use a facelift. The staff was great, though and extremely helpful and friendly.

The downtown location was great since my meetings were downtown.

• Stayed July 2013
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for being our loyal guest! We really appreciate your always staying with us. I will share your compliments with my staff. I know they will love to here. Hope your meeting went well and please come back to see us for your next one!
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

TIPS:
- If you are not the valet type it’s easy to pull up in front, register, then self park ½ block away
- I don’t eat in hotels unless I’m desperate; plenty of fine alternatives close by
- If you are without car but willing to walk you can get to the DPAC and many stores and restaurants in converted mill buildings

PRO:
1) Clean, quiet, well run
2) No-hassle parking
3) No other hotel has the same central Durham location

CON:
1) An odd city center with restaurants but virtually no stores; Durham lacks a sense of place
2) The large creepy photo next to the elevator of Mr. Marriott Sr. and Jr. starring at you with smarmy country-club smiles

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LarryInBrookline
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us! Your tips are excellent and we love your title that starts with “Perfectly fine standard Marriott”. Please keep coming back to see us and to enjoy this wonderful Durham. We will be here for you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I really loved it
Very classy
Was a very good deal too Sub100 $!! THANK YOU PRICELINE -;)
BETTER THAN SHERATON
I would definitely go back
Super clean

♡♡♡♡♡
♥♥♥♥♥

• Stayed July 2013
Dear guest,
So glad to hear that you loved staying with us. And hope your surgery went well. I will share your “super clean” comments with my Housekeeping folks and I know they will be so happy. Please stay healthier and come back to see us.
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Decent location, so-so accommodations. Here's the screw up... When you travel for business,have meetings planned the next morning, make sure to eat breakfast somewhere else if staying here.
These incompetent amateurs did not bring my room service order. I called and they said it just left sorry, meanwhile my meetings are soon approaching. Twenty minutes later, still no food. I called to complain, they could care less and were full of excuses.
Lying to customers is wrong! The on shift manager apologized when I complained, and said they would give me some points.....the points they gave were nothing. My self and my colleagues are rethinking this brand, and will never return to this location.

Room Tip: Avoid it at all costs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,
We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had to experience because of our poor room service. We take guests concerns seriously and work harder to make improvements. Please give us another opportunity so we can better serve you. And if there is anything I can do for you to make your stay more enjoyable next time, please call me directly at 919-768-6011. Thank you again for staying with us and giving us comments for the improvement.