“Good downtown hotel for business or pleasure”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed at the Durham Marriott City Center given its close proximity to the Durham Bulls ballpark and free parking. The actual parking lot is across the street, so it is best to drive into the front of the hotel to check in first. While the exterior of the hotel isn't that exciting, I was immediately met by a member of the staff who enquired if I preferred valet or self-parking. Once I mentioned that I would park myself, he instructed me where to park and then proceeded to escort me to the check-in desk. It was nice and refreshing to find an employee who went out of his way to help regardless of who it was (since I had not used the valet or needed luggage assistance). The same individual assisted me throughout my stay, even saying hello in the morning.

The hotel was crowded due to some type of biker convention which wasn't a major issue other than bikers feeling the need to make a lot of noise with their bikes at 3:00 in the morning. However you really didn't notice that many people and with my room towards the end of the hallway, didn't have any problems with noise from within the hotel.

The room itself was big enough and had all of the necessities one would expect. The room included two double beds, flat screen television, a sitting chair and work desk. The refrigerator was located under the TV co-located with the dresser. It was extremely quiet and never even knew it was there until the morning. The bed itself was nice and comfortable. The only issue with the hotel was the pillows. They were comfortable, however 50% of them on one of the beds had dead bugs on them.

The air-conditioner was controlled by a panel on the wall. It was set at 67 degrees which for me was good, but for others might be a little cold. The system worked well and was nice and quiet. This helped make it a good atmosphere to sleep and relax. You can expect for it to be a tad cool in the restaurant, so those who get cold might want to wear long sleeves or a light jacket.

The bathroom had one sink with the toilet located next to the bathtub. There were no hand towels for some reason, but plenty of washcloths and bath towels. I had to use the washcloth to dry my hands. They definitely could improve in this aspect as well. The water pressure in the shower was good and there was plenty of hot water.

I decided to try breakfast at the hotel. They serve breakfast from 6:30 to 10:30am everyday which is nice. Given I was there shortly after they first opened, I was the only one there. You had the option of either the buffet or ordering from the menu. I decided to order the crunchy French toast from the menu. The French toast was topped with fresh bananas and strawberries and had a had a crunchy texture. They provided me with a small jar of maple syrup as well. It would've been nice to actually have warm maple syrup and not some out of an individualized jar. The food, as was the coffee, was very good. The buffet costs $15 and includes coffee and juice. I paid around $11 for my meal, so it was a little cheaper. However it really depends on what you choose.

Overall the Durham Marriott City Center is worth staying at if your looking for a place to stay in downtown Durham. There were only a few minor issues as mentioned, as well as the lack of written notice of the check-out time. I would definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wbullseye
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us great feedback. We were excited to read your very thorough comments. I really like to tell you that we certainly appreciate your time and energy to write about us for everyone that meant a lot to us. We will continuously work harder to make it better every day for you and your guests. Thank you so much again. And I will make sure talking to our Housekeeping Department for improvement because we do have hand towels and they are supposed be in every guest room.

Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed a night at the Marriott in Durham to see the city.
We loved the location and our ability to walk to everything downtown including the Durham Bulls baseball stadium.
The lobby was beautiful, the service from the front desk personnel to the parking attendants was great! Everyone was especially helpful.
The room was spacious, clean and modern, extremely comfortable.
We were very impressed with the Marriott and are looking forward to going back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for the Five Star!!!
We are so happy to hear that you really loved staying with us. All my staff will appreciate your compliment about our great and helpful service we offered to you. Please come back to see us, we are here for you!

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel was in a good location in Durham. I was in town as part of a wedding in June and the hotel was fully booked. Fairly outdated Marriott and the outside of the building could have used a power wash for sure. Passed on breakfast on Saturday morning and went to the farmers market down the street. Much better deal and much better food! Average of the line Marriott - nothing stood out to me that made it great and nothing stood out to me that made it bad

• Stayed: June 2013
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us! I will share your comments with our staff and work harder to become better/more than just average Marriott. We are here for you, please let us know if anything you can think of us that would make your stay more enjoyable, we will try to do so at our best.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I like this place. we go down every year for a film festival. it in the same building as the festival but the last two years we have been unable to walk the hallway into the theaters. Under construction signs but there was a wedding there so I don't understand that! the staff is very friendly. we get a corner king and the view is interesting. bed is fine. this time we asked for a late checkout and the key did not work when we came back. had to go down and get it redone but that is unusual. we will go back next year for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for always staying with us! I will share your compliments about friendliness of our staff with everyone and also tell Front Desk about your key problem so you won’t have such concern again. For the hallway to the theatre, I apologize for the inconvenience but I am not able to control the access as Durham Convention Center manages that area. Again, we appreciate your continuous visit and see you next year.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Is this a Marriott? What terrible standards. The van drivers look like criminals, every front desk person had a different uniform on. The hotel was outdated. Seemed like I stepped into the late 70's. Box projection TV's in my room. For a hotel that small and with a name like Marriott I would think they would have flat screens in the room. It's clear to me whoever runs this dump is cutting cost. I couldn't even fathom walking into work each day and walking on that hideous carpet. The hotel smelled like a mixture of mold, mildew, cigarette smoke and industrial chemicals. I'm was kind of relieved in the chemical smell. At least they attempted to clean. Then in the morning the wait staffs white shirts were dingy and wrinkled, the server looked like she just rolled out of bed. I couldn't believe this is was an actual Marriott and not a Red Roof Inn. On a brighter note the location was excellent. Only hotel in the downtown area, which I found to be odd. The valet was nice but took forever to get my vehicle. I figured it was in a secure lot or deck somewhere down the street but they park the cars in te same self parking lot across the street. I could have saved $10 a day just by walking 6 steps across the street. Then the pillows in my room were yellow and had a bad odor. I called for another set but it took forever and they were worst than the originals. I literally bought my son pillows for college from Walmart at $5.00 each and were so much more comfortable. They claimed this is non-smoking hotel but my room smelled like a Hookah bar. I asked to move my room and the van driver/ bellman/valet/ front desk agent took forever. I called again and they're we're no bell carts available. Then I finally went downstairs myself and the van driver was in the gift shop reading a paper. When I grabber one of the three luggage carts he asked if I needed assistance. At this point I wanted to scream. Then my new room must have been over a fan or generator because there was constant noise all night. At this point I was not going I move my room again and had to endure it. Overall my experience was a 1 out of 10. I would not recommended this 1 star hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Travelguy861
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear guest,
We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I was so disturbed to hear about your stay. We are here representing Marriott very proudly with our service and products that we offer to our guests. So it was very disappointing to hear that we didn’t attain your 100% satisfaction. We take guest concerns very seriously because you tell us what we are doing great and what we need to improve on. I would really like to ask you to please contact me directly at 919-768-6011 with little more information (I.E; room number, date of stay etc…) because some of the comments you made, such as Van drivers look like criminals (we hire and train great associates and they are all well groomed in uniforms and act professionally to serve our guests), every Front Desk person had a different uniform (All Front Desk agents have same Marriott standard uniforms unless they are Managers and supervisors), Box projection TV(All of our rooms have flat screen plasma TVs), wait staffs white shirts were dingy and wrinkled (all of our wait staffs uniforms are black stripe, no one wears white), pillows were yellow and had a bad odor (we wash and dry them thoroughly and dispose if any stains found) etc…. I have more questions to ask you so we can immediately start to work on improvement. Please give us opportunity to do so by contacting me again at 919-768-6011. Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to let us know about your bad experience. I look forward to your call.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

In a part of town one would not have dared to venture 10 years ago- area is now on it's way to being the trendy boutiquey area. Overall the hotel is good. Probably 5 star for the area but 4 star in general. Front desk staff welcoming and helpful. Comforable stay. Excellent breakfast available at restaurant 2 blocks away "Rue Cler" kind of Parisian believe it or not.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us great compliments for our Front Desk staff! Yes, we are in the heart of this great City of Durham where you can do many exciting things. Going to Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Art Center, Durham Bulls, and tasting great food in many popular local restaurants…. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed here recently while visiting the Duke campus (which is a very short drive away -- I won't say easy, however, because of the current road construction). If you are wanting access to downtown businesses, it is an excellent location. We walked to several good restaurants during our stay. The beds are SUPER comfy -- great pillows. I understand why Marriott has a catalog in the room of their products you can purchase. The room and bathroom are also clean and spacious.

And that is where my good comments end. When we checked in (around 7:00 PM on a Wednesday night) the lobby was not really busy -- and there were three staff working the desk. But it took more minutes than it should have for them to silently decide amongst themselves who was going to verbally acknowledge our presence. We were not warmly welcomed. Were not really talked to at all. Just handed the key. Weren't even told our room number -- good thing it was written on the key card folder. Once in our room, it didn't take long to figure out this is NOT a quiet hotel. The walls are paper thing -- and unfortunately we were in a room next to a screaming baby. Also -- either everyone on our floor was slamming their doors or the tension on the doors needs to be adjusted to keep them from slamming. Laying in bed -- the headboard actually shook every time someone's door closed down the hall. And it woke me up during the night a few times too. Last complaint -- no pool! I don't know why I didn't notice this on the hotel's web site -- I just assumed a Marriott of this size would have a pool!

Room Tip: NO POOL! Paper thin walls