“Nice hotel”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here because we were seeing a show at the Performing Arts Center just down the street.

The Pros:
All of the staff we encountered were super polite, and very helpful. Upon checking in, I was greeted by smiling folks behind the counter who made the process easy for me. Also, I ordered room-service and was told it would take 10-15 minutes for the food to arrive. It could not have been even a full 5 minutes and it was there. (Underpromising and overdelivering! Love it!) Finally, the price of this hotel, for the location, was pretty great. We're used to steep hotel prices in the heart of most cities, so we were delighted that this was so affordable.

The Cons:
Parking. Oy. When making the reservation to stay here, I double checked to make sure that complimentary, on-site parking was available. Arriving in Durham, a town with which I am not even remotely familiar, I found the hotel, and then started looking for the on-site parking. After circling the hotel four times (yes, 4), which was not easy, I gave up and pulled into the packed valet space, where the kind gentleman asked for my keys and began unloading my car. I told him I wanted to self-park, but he said he'd take care of my car for free, since I was a female and alone. While I appreciated this (I think?), I really wanted to just take care of my car myself, keep my keys, and unload at my own pace. This was super uncomfortable for me, especially now that the valet folks had my keys, and I'd had no intention of valet parking. Suggestion: just put up a clear sign indicating where folks can self-park, or change the website to state that parking is valet only.
My only other mini-complaint was that anytime someone closed a door in the hallway, the bed in our room shook. Weird. And a bit startling. Every. Time. A door closed.

Other than that, everything was lovely. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sardawg
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your compliment about our professional service. But I would like to apologize for not giving you clear communication about our parking service. We will do better next time. As you know Durham has lots to offer including Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham Bulls, and great restaurants… Please come back to see us for your next visit, we will again take great care of you!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was here last week for a business meeting. Being a long time Marriott rewards member, to me they all look and feel the same. What separates this property from others is the supreme customer service they provide. Not only from the front desk personnel, but the valet attendants, to other help just walking around. When I used the phone to call for room service, I was greeted as "hi Mr. Meltzer"

The property itself was very nice. Nice flat screen TV, wireless that didn't cost me anything. When I ordered room service I was told it would be about 15 minutes. In 5 minutes my salad was there! They appear to really want to please their customers, and this is one customer who really appreciates the extra mile.

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in the south, but that doesn't always equate to southern hospitality....but this property does!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Meltzer,
Thank you for being our loyal guest! We really appreciate your always staying with us. I will share your compliments with my staff(especially Front Desk, Valet and Room Service team). I know they will love to hear. Please come back to see us again!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We came to Durham for a concert at the DPAC.The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to DPAC. The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. Valet parking is the only way to go because parking is not in real close proximity of the hotel.I think the rooms were a bit to pricey for the service received.we stayed on the ninth floor the concieres level ( how ever spelled).The cost for staying on that level wasn't worth it.The staff failed to tell us we could have access to the dinning area on that level anytime and could help ourselves to food and drink at anytime (we learned this as we were leaving) My daughter was a little hungry when we arrived and wanted a little something to eat to tied her over till dinner. She found a small store next to the front desk that sold snack food...She paid $2.00 for a small pack on M&Ms. So I recommend bringing your own snack food if you think you would be wanting it.

Room Tip: If you stay on the conciears level (how ever spelled) 9th floor. You do have access to the dinning r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your compliment. But we would like to sincerely apologize for not communicating with you about the privileges you could have while you were staying with us. We will share your comments with staff for immediate improvement. Please call me directly at 919-768-6011 for your future stay; I will make sure you receive better and more services we offer. I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I found this Marriott to be very comfortable. I normally just need a room to sleep in but on this trip I needed to get some work done before checking out. The wifi was fast and worked well. The room is good sized and didn't feel cramped.

They have a small gym with several treadmills bikes and steppers with TVs.

The bedding was clean and comfortable. The exterior of the hotel is nothing to look at but the inside was nice.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear guest,
We are very glad to hear that you really enjoyed staying with us. And big thank you for finding time during your busy day to let us and everyone know about your visit that really means a lot to us. Please come back to see us. We are always here to serve you the best.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was celebrating my birthday in downtown Durham and wanted a hotel where I wouldn't have to worry about driving home. Here is my report:

Location: The hotel is in downtown Durham attached the convention center and the Carolina Theater. Everything in downtown from our excellent numerous restaurants and bars and the American Tobacco Campus and Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) are an easy walk away. The hotel also has a private parking lot across the street with free parking. The Durham Freeway (NC-147) which runs to the RTP, Duke and RDU is a fairly easy drive away though traffic in the afternoon getting to it can be easy.

Hotel: I was concerned this hotel would feel older but I never got that impression. Also, all the staff I dealt with were very helpful and friendly. The lobby is large and inviting with a restaurant that's open until 11. Also, I had no problem checking in early (2:20 PM).

Room: The room felt very modern and had all the little things I look for like outlets next to the bed, good Wifi connection (free at this hotel, very nice) etc. My only issues were the bathroom is really small and the door will hit the toilet seat when you open it. Also, the soundproofing is pretty bad, I could hear the people in the next room who were not being loud at all.

Other: I ordered room service at 2:30 PM for the next morning. They called back at 4:30 PM to say that the order I'd placed (a Continental Breakfast with just croissants) was impossible as the chef had just realized they didn't sell croissants anymore. Then it was 20 minutes late the next morning. Also, there's no pool, the hotel guide directs you to walk a block to the YMCA where you have to pay to use their pool.

My rate was $154 which seemed a bit high but if my needs were what they were again I'd be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us honest and very thorough feedback which is very important to us. I will share your comments with my staff; We will discuss what we did well and what we need to improve to do better; I will also follow up with the restaurant and kitchen. And I would like to apologize for your room service order. Please let me know when you come back by calling me directly at 919-768-6011. I will make sure you have a great breakfast to start your day. Thank you again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great service, nice views, nice linens and shampoo. Someone said it was $120/night; our bill was $220/night but I thought it was worth it. Great location. Walked to tapas place, Mateos which was awesome! Also bakery was very good within walking distance.
Absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,
We are so happy to hear that you really enjoyed staying with us. I will let my staff know about your compliments on great service, linens, shampoo and the view. I am also glad to hear that you could walk around to check good places like Mateo and 9th St. Bakery. Please come back to experience Durham again with our excellent service. Thank you!!!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was invited for onsite and stayed in this hotel for one night. It is close to downtown but reasonable priced. I think the bill is around $120/night. The bed is quite comfortable and has a TV with cables. Other equipments are all in working condition. The receptionist is also very helpful

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave such a nice review. We are always excited to hear from our guests because you tell us what we could do better to make you happy. Please come back to see us. We will be again here to exceed your expectations!