“Terrible experience - never going back”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Durham
New York City, New York
“Terrible experience - never going back”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Probably the worst hotel experience I have ever had. There were cockroaches in our room and the staff refused to relocate us to another room, saying that they were fully booked. But when I went online, I was able to reserve a room (leading me to believe they were not fully booked). Never going back here again - there are better hotels in the area at much better prices. Don't be deceived by the decor in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Du_Cr
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We are very proud of serving our guests with best clean rooms and excellent services but we were so disturbed to hear about your concerns. We could not find any communication about your bad experience so please help us to improve. Please give us a call at my direct line 919-768-6011 to discuss. Then I will follow up personally to make sure we fix our problem immediately and prepare to be the best hotel for you to come back and enjoy. I will be looking forward to your call.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I've stayed at this Marriott perhaps a dozen times in the past year or two. It's just fine and there's nothing better in downtown Durham. Durham itself has some charm and this hotel is the best way to experience it. Try some local restaurants and walk around - it's a downtown experiencing a bit of a revival.

Guest rooms - Rooms are fine at this Marriott and definitely meet the standards of the chain. That said, the HVAC noise in some of them is quite loud (rattle), and if you're near the elevators you will hear the whoosh and mechanicals during the night.

Service - Service here is very pleasant, with the staff always willing to help out as much as possible. I tend to stay rather self-sufficient on business trips, so I don't need much, but when I do they are happy to help.

Dining - I've had a few decent meals via room service, but have also had some salads that are wilted or some flavors that are a bit off. But go for it if you're looking to stay inside and relax.

Gym - The workout room is fine for a quick energy burn, but the best thing here is that they issue passes to the YMCA across the street for a much better gym.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John Greg P
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us a great review with details. We always love to hear from our guests because you tell us what we could do better to make you happy. I will make sure we continue striving to make it better so you can keep coming back to see us! Thank you again for being our loyal Marriott guest.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Visited here for New Years Eve with family and friends, room was spotless the staff couldn't do enough to help you. The breakfast selection was vast and Buffett type cereal cold meats cheese cooked breakfast, if you wanted a omelette they took your choice of ingredients and cooked it for you, endless amounts of tea/coffee fruit juice. Thanks for making our New Year special

Stayed December 2013
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you!!!
We are so excited to hear such great comments about our service with new year greeting. I will share your compliments with all my staff and wish you, your friends and families a Happy Awesome Year!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here twice in the past couple years and this Marriott has always been very accommodating between the Platinum upgrades to the impeccable service. We will always stay here when we are in Durham.

Room Tip: Corner high room is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for five stars!!! We are happy to hear that you always enjoy staying with us. We will keep working hard to continuously serve you the best. And another big thank you for being our Platinum member!
Hayward, California
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is within walking distance of many fine Farm to Table restaurants. The ice cream parlor and bakery were closed on the days we visited. I will seek them out on my next visit.

20 minutes by car or 2 buses to/from the Airport. The complimentary Bull City Connector bus is less than 2 blocks away. You may take a ride to Duke University and walk around the campus.

Room Pluses:
The 2 light fixtures located on the desk and side tables had an abundance of AC outlets for electronics
Cubbies for extra towels, etc below the bathroom counter
Grab bar and anti-slip mat in the bathtub/shower A +

Small issues which were rectified:
Paper jam in the Computer Room and the inside door handle fell off. Both situations, Robert came to my rescue. Who said chivalry is dead?

Room Concern:
The maid whom tidied up the room left an overpowering fragrance smell. I have a problem with this as I am allergic to scents. The California hospitals institute a policy: NO lotion, powder, perfume, make-up, oil or deodorants.

Comment:
If the hotel is conserving water in not laundering the towels, please provide more towel bars and hooks.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us such nice reviews. We are always excited to hear from our guests because you tell us what we could do better to make you happy. I will make sure we follow up on few items you mentioned to better accommodate you next time. And Robert…. I will definitely let him know about your comment. He will love to hear! Thank you again for staying with us!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here because we were seeing a show at the Performing Arts Center just down the street.

The Pros:
All of the staff we encountered were super polite, and very helpful. Upon checking in, I was greeted by smiling folks behind the counter who made the process easy for me. Also, I ordered room-service and was told it would take 10-15 minutes for the food to arrive. It could not have been even a full 5 minutes and it was there. (Underpromising and overdelivering! Love it!) Finally, the price of this hotel, for the location, was pretty great. We're used to steep hotel prices in the heart of most cities, so we were delighted that this was so affordable.

The Cons:
Parking. Oy. When making the reservation to stay here, I double checked to make sure that complimentary, on-site parking was available. Arriving in Durham, a town with which I am not even remotely familiar, I found the hotel, and then started looking for the on-site parking. After circling the hotel four times (yes, 4), which was not easy, I gave up and pulled into the packed valet space, where the kind gentleman asked for my keys and began unloading my car. I told him I wanted to self-park, but he said he'd take care of my car for free, since I was a female and alone. While I appreciated this (I think?), I really wanted to just take care of my car myself, keep my keys, and unload at my own pace. This was super uncomfortable for me, especially now that the valet folks had my keys, and I'd had no intention of valet parking. Suggestion: just put up a clear sign indicating where folks can self-park, or change the website to state that parking is valet only.
My only other mini-complaint was that anytime someone closed a door in the hallway, the bed in our room shook. Weird. And a bit startling. Every. Time. A door closed.

Other than that, everything was lovely. :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sardawg
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your compliment about our professional service. But I would like to apologize for not giving you clear communication about our parking service. We will do better next time. As you know Durham has lots to offer including Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham Bulls, and great restaurants… Please come back to see us for your next visit, we will again take great care of you!
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was here last week for a business meeting. Being a long time Marriott rewards member, to me they all look and feel the same. What separates this property from others is the supreme customer service they provide. Not only from the front desk personnel, but the valet attendants, to other help just walking around. When I used the phone to call for room service, I was greeted as "hi Mr. Meltzer"

The property itself was very nice. Nice flat screen TV, wireless that didn't cost me anything. When I ordered room service I was told it would be about 15 minutes. In 5 minutes my salad was there! They appear to really want to please their customers, and this is one customer who really appreciates the extra mile.

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in the south, but that doesn't always equate to southern hospitality....but this property does!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Meltzer,
Thank you for being our loyal guest! We really appreciate your always staying with us. I will share your compliments with my staff(especially Front Desk, Valet and Room Service team). I know they will love to hear. Please come back to see us again!