“Great Clean Rooms but Terrible Service”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Clean Rooms but Terrible Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

We arrived on a Saturday evening for a one night stay. When we reached the front desk to check in, we were left standing there for approximately 5 minutes while one of the staff was too busy doing something on a computer, that she could not even greet us nor say that someone would be right with us.

When someone finally helped us, they told us that they did not have any King Beds available. We had made a reservation for a king bed almost 2 months before. He said that the rooms had not been cleaned yet, but he could offer us free breakfast and a room with a double bed. This was at 530pm, when check in was at 3pm. We had dinner reservations, etc. and I was not willing to sleep in a double. We insisted that we were disappointed and needed a King. The staff member then precoded to get rude telling me that "these things happen" and that "I would have to be patient". His apathetic behavior made matters worse.

While this is going on, the woman who ignored us when we first walked in had checked 2 other couples in while we waited, both with King beds!!!!

In the end, after 30 minutes of dealing with the rudest person, we got keys to a room with a king bed. The room was very clean and wonderful.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Traveling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

Was in town for a convention and while there a snow/ice storm came through. The staff was extremely pleasant throughout the stay and the valets were wonderful in helping to get all the snow off the car! Did eat in the restaurant 1 night during my stay and the wait staff was superb as well. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2009

Have you ever been to a property where everything exceeded expectations? This just happened to me at the Marriott Durham Civic Center Hotel.

With no hesitancy I give this hotel a 5-point (TripAdvisor) rating.

I try to avoid extravagant overstatements, but this Marriott could very well be the most accommodating Marriott I have ever stayed in.

I did not meet the general manager, but he or she must be a remarkable person and a wise, experience manager, because that leader has inspired in the staff a can-do and want-to-do attitude toward the guest.

Two meals were taken in the downstairs eatery. The first server was perhaps the least hospitable of any of the staff I met. Neverthess he was acceptable and within normal expectations for such a property. By the way, my dish that night was surprisingly good. A wonderful, delicious swordfish steak cooked perfectly and some mashed potatoes just the way I love them.

My room--920--was on the concierge level. The attendants in the private lounge were friendly and hospitable. One went to extra trouble to return my camera to me after I left it in the lounge.

Bell-persons/Automobile Valets -- all friendly and helpful.

My second eating occasion (downstairs) was a Spinach Salad for lunch on Monday. The restaurant was nearly empty, so I expected a tired old downtown hotel salad. (You know the type.) Instead, I was blown away with the freshest spinach, the freshest mushrooms and bacon and eggs! The salad was rather large and I doubted I would eat it all, but I did! It was so fresh and delicious. The server was fantastic and truly friendly and attentive, even bringing me a complimentary small ice-cream dish after the salad.

The Marriott Durham hotel was for me a true and pleasant surprise--one of the best run Marriott's I have encountered.

Now, do I have a negative? Not about the hotel, but the location might find some guests a little disappointed. An argument can be made for the location downtown, adjoining the convention center and Carolina Theater. The YMCA is just down the block.

But otherwise, the downtown area doesn't seem to have much to offer. Brightleaf warehouse area can be an acceptalbe walk in pretty weather, but it is a few blocks over there.

Access to Ninth Street (shops and restaurants) is 2 or 3 miles away. Duke University, including the hospital and clinics, is not a long drive either. Just be sure you have the streets written down or set in your GPS. A couple of destinations for me involved numerous turns on smaller residential/business streets. And Northgate Mall is not far either. (Not one of these--except BrightLeaf--is walkable in my opinion.)

Marriott Corporation! Take note of this hotel. They are doing some great work!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donald W
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

This is really your only choice directly in downtown Durham, so it's a good thing this is a solid, competent lodging. The free parking and reasonably-priced food and bar add extra value. The location is also prime, adjoining the Carolina Theatre and the Durham Convention Center and just a 5-minute walk from the Durham Performing Arts Center.

Service was a little perfunctory at check-in and from room service, but it was efficient. The bar staff is very friendly.

The rooms appear to have been recently renovated [in a gold and raspberry color scheme] and are surprisingly nice with attractive touches and a comfortable bed. The bathrooms are smallish and standard-issue Marriott, but otherwise room space and furnishings are good quality. Request a corner room, which has windows on two sides for lots of light.

The fitness center has a pretty good selection of equipment. The atrium lobby is a little '80s-looking, but spacious and comfortable. If you stay here, you must try the restaurant Revolution, just a two-minute walk from the hotel and absolutely wonderful. The sleek design and creative menu make it one of the very best restaurants in Durham, and it won't break the bank, either.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Fair Haven, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

great staff, beautiful rooms an all around good hotel.

Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

I stayed on a short business trip, found the room to be nice, but the food was exceptional.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Clayton, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

My wife and I stayed here one night after attending a concert at the Durham Performing Arts Center. It is a very nice property and well located for persons who are going to the DPAC or a game at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.

The room was clean and the hallway was quiet. I was very impressed with how comfortable the bed was. I had one of the best night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel.

Parking is in a lot directly across the street and is no problem at all. The staff was very nice.

If you are in Durham on business or to attend an event at the one of the local entertainment venues, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple