“How not to do customer "service"”

Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Asheville, North Carolina
“How not to do customer "service"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past 6 months, so I have given it a composite score. The score would have been much higher except for my latest experience.

The first few times I stayed at this hotel everything was fine, and my rooms were clean and comfortable with everything in order. On this stay, however, my experience was much worse. Because there was no record of my reservation (which may not have been the hotel's fault), I was offered a room for a slightly higher rate on the spot. I took it.

I was under the impression that the entire hotel had been remodeled earlier this year, but the room I was given was a weird mix of worn-out and new. New paint and TV. Some new furniture. Several items, however, were old to the point of being decrepit. The room smelled musty upon entry, and the heating system smelled even worse, so we had to use the AC even though we were already cold (sudden turn in the weather). Thankfully, the smell quickly dissipated with the AC. Then we turned on the TV and discovered...could it be true?...that it was analogue rather than digital. This meant that, although the flat screen TV was new, the picture was not. Some channels were so fuzzy they were impossible to watch. And HBO did not come in at all, although there was an HBO program guide on the nightstand.

I called the front desk to complain. Let me just add that the woman who checked us in was lovely and very friendly. But when I called the front desk to complain, the phone was answered by a different woman who did not identify herself and who was impatient from the start. She seemed to think we should be perfectly happy with bad TV service, and kept saying it was a "Time Warner issue." She first said that all rooms had the same TV quality (which I knew to be untrue, since my earlier stays had featured clear, crisp digital pictures). Then, when I pressed her, she said that some rooms had TV problems but they didn't know exactly which ones. When I suggested that she might want to consider warning people when they check in that there might be a problem, I might as well have been speaking German, because the concept seemed completely foreign and unacceptable to her.

Because it was late, I let the TV problem go. Then, about 10 minutes later, the woman who had checked us in telephoned our room to ask, very kindly, if we were having problems. I said yes and explained the TV situation. She offered to let us try a different room, so I got dressed to go down and get the new key. While I was dressing, the other woman (still unidentified) called back to badger me some more. She didn't seem troubled by the fact that HBO was MIA, and she only begrudgingly agreed to let me try a different room. (Unfortunately, the TV in the new room had the same problems.) When I tried to explain how outdated analogue TV is, she disagreed. Through the entire conversation, she was impatient and unfriendly.

I asked another guest about his TV reception and he said it was fuzzy, too.

Although I've been pleased with this hotel in the past, this one woman's rudeness succeeded in convincing me to stay elsewhere next time. And what's the story with analogue TV in this day and age? Overall, a strangely unsettling experience.

Room Tip: Be sure to request digital TV when you book a room. You might also specifically request a "new...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank WayfaringOne
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I am so very sorry that you were frustrated with your tv experience. As you noted we do have the brand new 32 inch plasma screens. We are working on getting our channels updated to digital quality. We were having trouble with our Time Warner Cable set-up and have had the issue resolved through them. Customer Service is our highest priority and I am disappointed that this did not shine through for your visit. I sincerely hope you will reconsider and give us another chance to offer stellar service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Petersburg, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This area was good and it was good for staying. The breakfast was not nearly as good as it was in Eureka at Comfort Inn. But the rooms were clean and the staff was great. The last room we stayed in was noisy and more difficult to sleep as well as the first three day stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked your room. We are always looking to improve our guest experience and hope some of the recent changes to breakfast are more appealing.

Thank you for choosing us while you were on vacation. I hope you had a fabulous time! Hope to see you again soon!
Beaufort, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Overall, my stay at the Durham Quality Inn was a good experience. Easy access to downtown without having to get back on the highway. My room was scrupulously clean. My white socks stayed white. They've made a real effort to update the rooms with a new marble countertop vanity, flat screen and and upgraded, very comfortable bedding. They have a full line up of cable channels and the wi-fi speed was good enough for me to work with. The front desk staff were very efficient and friendly. I like that Cracker Barrel is right next door.

the only downside is that the a/c unit appeared to pull in the smoke from the smokers outside and gives the room a musty smell. After checking the room extensively, I narrowed the smell down to the a/c unit. Truthfully, I did not bother to report it. I just set up the air freshener that I always bring with me.

I got a great rate through an event I was participating in of 49.99. For that price, I can let go of a lot of things... I'll stay here again the next time I'm in Durham!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. I'm glad you found your room to be in good order. I am sorry for the issues with the ac unit in your room. We are working on replacing all of our units in all of the rooms.

Centerfest was awesome this year! There were so many amazing exhibits. It is always wonderful to stop and talk to each of the artists about their work and inspiration. I am so glad to host many of the artists and volunteers here at our hotel and we look forward to offering the same low rate next year for Centerfest 2014.

Again, thanks for taking the time to stop in and leave feedback. This is one of my favorite parts of my job. It gives me a good view of how we are doing and what we need to improve.
Mclean VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Hotel Location: Decent.

Check-in: Awesome.

Safety: OK. We felt safe to stay here

Cleanliness of Room: Below Average. Room itself smelled like cigarette smoke although this is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel. Walls were SUPER thin. We could hear everything being said in our next door room and above us. Creaky floors.

Breakfast: Very few options. 2% Milk is definitely not real milk. When I added it to my coffee, I could see powder floating up. I am guessing it was watered milk powder.

Check-out: Aweful.

Room Tip: Choose Odd # room if you want a view of the pool and even # room if you don't.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for leaving your feedback.

We are a non smoking hotel and strive to maintain the integrity of our status by taking the time to deep clean the rooms where patrons disregard the rules. I am sorry that this did not happen with the room you were in. I'm working on training my team to catch and fix these rooms more effectively.

I am glad that overall your stay was okay. If you return to the area I would very much like to give you a better impression of our hotel and service. Contact the hotel directly and ask for the manager's special to save 20% off your stay. This discount is awards eligible if you are a Choice Hotels member.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

When I first checked in they did not have my reservation from my employers, which was faxed. They everyone else's but not mine. I was finally added and was sent to a room that upon entering smelled musty, from filters not being changed in the a/c unit. As I walked back toward the sink the smell of urine overpowered me and the further back I went (to the toilet) the smell got worse. I sprayed disinfectant and febreze to no avail. As I began to take a shower I noticed a really nice bug in the corner at the top of the ceiling. After that I went down to the front desk and notified the clerk. The hotel was booked so I could not get another room. My key cards kept deactivating. (no they were not by the cell phone or any electronic). I came back the next day after working to find the smell gone but the bug still there. My room was switched and it was better but had a small infestation of mesquitoes to which I had to kill. The iron stained my blouse and the microwave sounded as if it would exploded at any moment. On my second night stay the outside walkway light did not come on at dark. They were out at least until 10:00 pm. On the day that I checked out the hotel called my home to harass me about billing that was to be paid by the company and the authorizing person from my company was still there to straighten out any confusion. This was the worst stay. I will never stay at a Quality Inn if I am paying for it. I was miserable sleeping with one eye open. And the elevator was slow. You could not get in to use the gym that was to be 24 hours.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank faith h
I am terribly sorry that you had such an experience with us. There was some confusion with your booking as we did not receive your name for the group. We did resolve it, but needed to contact you for confirmation. I am very sorry that this made you feel harassed. It was not our intentions. I do hope you will give us another chance to give you a superior experience in the future. If you call ahead we would be thrilled to book you on the 3rd floor where the rooms are interior and a little bigger.
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Several years ago I had the occasion to search the Internet for a motel in the Hillsborough Road section of Durham, NC. Mistakenly, I opted for the Days Inn, where I truly was almost too fearful to sleep, terrible and seemingly unsafe in the truest since of the word. Because of that experience, I was a little reticent to try my luck again, but this time I was much more fortunate. Though about a mile away from my Days Inn experience, the Quality Inn was years ahead in, well, quality! Their sanitation rating was 100, a great beginning! Parking was no problem and convenient to the rooms. I was on the second floor, and the elevator was clean and prompt. Breakfast was usual motel fare, pretty good for free, and a little better than some I've had. The bedroom and bathroom were clean, the bed comfortable, the towels soft (though not luxurious!).
I was able to enjoy reading and drinking coffee by the pool, which seemed well maintained, though there were no pool towels available that I could see. Overall, this is a great motel for the price with chocolate chip cookies when checking in to boot. When I am in the area again, this will surely be my motel of choice, a real gem! And by the way, you can actually walk to the Cracker Barrel restaurant next door! Another treat!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank HaveFun2015
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for your kind review! It is such a pleasure to be able to offer our guests a great stay at a reasonable price. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Warren, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Checked in here while spending a weekend in Durham and was looking for something affordable. With our AAA discount we paid about 58 pre-tax, so we thought that was a steal for a hotel with a pool and breakfast. The rooms were clean and tidy, and looked nice with a new tv, fridge, and microwave, the beds were ok, the lobby is beautifully decorated and the breakfast had a variety of choices. So if your just looking for a basic clean room to stay the night its not too bad. On the downside... the pillows were half stuffed and wierdly lumpy, the bathroom was VERY small with no exhaust fan, the room felt damp all the time & had a musty smell, and almost anything hot for breakfast was rubbery like eggs, bacon, the waffles were really weird whether you sprayed the iron or not the batter looked strange and everything stuck the were rubbery too??? There were some cheap pastries and fruit and bagels that were edible though. We also ran out of hot water for showers... we even went to breakfast and came back and my husband was stuck with a cold shower and cold water to shave, he was not a happy camper. All in all we stayed 2 nights at what we would've paid for 1 at any hampton or holiday inn so you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: We should've requested a inside corridor room. The people in the room next to us were outside sm...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank beachmom250
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We will use your insight to make some changes and improve on our guest-experience. We hope you will visit us again soon!