“Average hotel for a nights stay, nothing great, service lacking.”

Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park
Ranked #56 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The medical rate is the reason I chose this hotel. It looked like an average hotel that would be good for two nights stay for two doctors appointments at Duke with my dog. I checked in on Thursday June 12th at around 7pm with a friend. Room was small, smelled old and musky but seemed clean. Everything was good that evening. I get up to take a shower Friday morning and the water would not stay at a constant temperature. One minute it is scalding hot, the next it is freezing cold.

The hotel advertises free shuttle service to the area hospitals and we were put on the list for shuttle service at 8:30 Friday morning. We go down to the lobby to meet up with the shuttle driver at 8:15. We are told that the keys are lost to the shuttle and they will have to call a cab to take us to the hospital. The hotel paid for the fare of the cab but we still had to tip the driver. We called after the first appointment to get picked up from the hospital. We are told the keys are still lost and they will have to call a cab again. After waiting for one hour we decided we would not have time to go back to the hotel and make it back to the second appointment. The female working the desk was very rude during each call we made.

We were told we were going to be in a pet friendly room when I made reservations. When I called back to cancel the cab from picking us up at the hospital the rude female states that we have a dog in the room, and it is not a dog friendly room, and we will have to take this up with the manager when we get back. We were already stressed with the doctors appointments, loss of the shuttle keys, and now basically being told we took an animal in with permission. I told her what date and time I made the reservation and was told I would be in an animal friendly room and it was not my problem. She said it was my problem and I could take it up with the manager. I asked to speak with the manager, and she was not there.

The shuttle keys were found finally and we were picked up after the second appointment with no hassle. We went in to speak with the manager about the dog and she was there and said it had been taken care of.

Saturday morning we went to breakfast at the breakfast area. It had several options including danish, eggs, english muffins, cereal, waffles, milk, juice, coffee. Overall the food was good and saved us from having to stop for breakfast.

This stay was total disarray. I don't know if they were having a bad day or what but it was very stressful and inconvenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Gloria S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent visit. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the hotel for your experience with us. I can assure you that we normally have a smooth process for our shuttle service. I am so sorry for the stress and inconvenience. We are glad to know that you did enjoy our complimentary breakfast. We really hope that you give us another chance the next time you visit the Durham area.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is the best deal in Durham. It also has great rooms, great breakfast, and great free wifi. All rooms have fridge and microwave. It is also on the VA contract list. Their medical rate is the cheapest around. They are just a couple of streets over from the hospitals. Driving a couple of blocks to save half the rate is well worth it!

Room Tip: This hotel has an elevator. Don't worry about getting a ground floor room, all rooms are very a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for providing a review of your stay with us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay all around! We have been working harder to please our guests and it shined through during your stay. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to taking care of you again on your next trip to Durham!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is clean and the staff was very nice and helpful at check in. The hotel is in a good proximity to getting to the VA Hospital and to Duke Medical Center. However, the hot water in the room was luke warm at best and we tried it at multiple times during our one night stay. When we could not get any hot water, we waited to shower at 5 in the morning but the water remained luke warm. We even let the water run for a while thinking it was just taking a long time to get to the 3rd floor. The desk clerk did not have any suggestions. We would not stay again as the one thing we really require while traveling is a hot shower at the end of a long day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you found your room to be clean and staff very nice and helpful. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the issue with your hot water. Again, we appreciate your business and we hope that we can have a second chance to provide you with superior service on your next trip to the area.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stopped here on our way south. The room was fine for two people, the king bed took up just about the whole room. The staff was very nice. We stopped here on our way back home but by then we had two teens with us and the pool was not working. They gave us the option of checking out with no charge which we did and moved on to a hotel two hours closer to home that had a pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Gloria S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

We appreciate your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I apologize on behalf of the hotel for our pool being closed. Our goal is to make sure our guests are safe and our pool in proper working order. We are proud to know your encounters with staff was pleasant. Again, I am so sorry about the pool being closed. Hopefully you can give us a second chance. Thank you for your review.

Regard,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I just moved to Durham from the Midwest. I knew no one and felt a little disoriented after living for years "out west." The staff welcomed me with smiles and kindness. Within days they had answered many questions and directed me to helpful services as I began looking for a place to live. Because I was staying for an extended period of time they gave me a great rate. My room is lovely, although I'm convinced they put something in the bed to cause me to sleep so well! Actually, the bed is extremely comfortable, housekeeping keeps the room in good order, and that staff is also friendly and courteous. Breakfasts are hearty and delicious. I'm a veteran and there is a free shuttle to the VA Hospital and Duke Medical Center, which is not only helpful for transportation, but it means many vets stay here and there is a camaraderie that is most pleasant. All floors are easily accessible due to the elevator and rooms have plenty of light and good air conditioners too!

Room Tip: Many want to be on the ground floor, but all floors are easily accessible with the elevator. I have...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. Our team has been diligently working to improve and provide superior service to all of our guests and it feels good to know when we are wowing our guests! We are so happy that you enjoy your room, staff, and the breakfast. Again, we appreciate you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Good property. This is an old Fairfield Inn with the first two floors opening to the outside and the third floor is an interior corridor. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the linen (bedding/towels) were good. The rooms have been redone with new bedding, flat screen TV, new paint, decent furniture, refrigerator and microwave. The negatives, carpeting dirty (needs a good steam cleaning), some mold in the bathroom (minimal), room smelled damp/musty upon check-in. This is one of the best Quality Inn hotels. Apparently others have found out about this hotel since the parking lot is full each night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review about our hotel. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guests' experience. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and noticed the changes in our hotel. We hope that you will stop in and stay with us again next time you are in Durham.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The bottom two floors are all exterior rooms and the third floor has interior corridors. Our first room in the bottom floor smelled like smoke despite being a non smoking room in a non smoking hotel. People were smoking within a few feet of the front door as well. We moved to the third floor which was better, though overall I would say the renovation here was the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leslie K

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your stay. On behalf of the hotel, I sincerely apologize for the smoke smell you experienced. We have provided a smoking area for smokers and are in the process of changing where smoking is allowed outside so that it doesn't get close to the rooms. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the area.