“Nice Room”

Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill
Ranked #47 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Nice Room but still smelled of smoke and it was a non smoking room. The staff was very accomodating. We usually travel with our own pillows because hotel pillows are generally too soft, we forgot our pillows and the night manager went out of her way to get us 2 more pillows, there wasn't any in the supply closet she went and got us 2 new pillows, she was just that nice. We try to stay at Red Roof Inns when we travel and this place is the reason why. If this place did not have the smell of smoke in it we would give it 5 stars. We did turn the fan on then left for dinner and when we got back it barely had the smell of smoke.

Room Tip: We also usually travel with an air neutralizer spray which we also forgot on this trip. Spray the in...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom C
Nic M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for your comments, here at the Red Roof Inn we take pride in providing outstanding customer service, and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I have written a review for this motel before. Back on August 29. Our stay at the Red Roof in Chapel Hill/Durham was our first Red Roof stay and actually has propelled a relationship. We now primarily stay with this company when on road trips. I stand by my first review. For this trip, we stayed in this same motel on December 23, 2013. The only knock i have from this visit was that we had a Superior King room (which in my opinion is the only way to go) and there was only 2 pillows on the big King bed. Not only did this look a little cheap and silly, but it just wasn't good enough. I called the front desk and the girl brought us an additional one... but it really wasn't enough. I didn't press. I think that a King should have 4 pillows. I'm not a huge pillow pig, but I think two per-person is a good rule of thumb. For this reason I had to down grade the score for this trip.
In addition, I all of the staff was very helpful and friendly... both on the evening of 12/23 and then on Christmas Eve morning. Keep up the good work, but add pillows to the king beds.

Room Tip: get a Superior King. It's not much more money.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Arkansasfella

Thank You Arkansasfella for telling us about your stay at The Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill. I am glad we could accommodate you while in our area, I will share your thoughts with our staff and look forward to hosting you the next time you are in this area.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Overall opinion of this hotel is that is was an okay place to stay for a very reasonable price. There were a few things that it was lacking, but I guess you also get what you pay for. This hotel does not include some of the other amenities that are available in other closely priced hotels such as complimentary breakfast, or hair dryers in room.

We cannot remember the name of the employee who first helped us. But when we arrived around 10:00 pm on 1/1/14 the Asian female employee working at that time was very friendly, had a big smile and was very helpful.

However, the first room we were given had obviously not been cleaned yet. They quickly resolved this by giving us another room.

Later around 11-11:30 pm the same night, the next front desk employee was a heavy black male and was not very polite. He burped in my fiance's face and was not very helpful when asked about the availability of vending machines on site.

The wi-fi connection was poor.

The next day, they ran out of the complimentary tea at the front desk.

Suggestion for the manager: Ensure polite and positive attitude of employees as well as their overall knowledge of the hotel amenities available. Because one unpleasant person can smear the overall opinion of a guest from very satisfied to not.

Room Tip: Having a room at the far end of the hotel may effect the strength of your wi-fi connection.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Nic M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you Brooke T for sharing your experience. Red Roof takes pride in providing outstanding customer service, to hear anything less just is not acceptable. Each room at the Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill come standard with Free WI-FI service, in addition to free local and long distance phone calls. We offer complimentary coffee and tea in our lobby 24 hours a day. Our Superior King rooms come standard with hair-dryers, and iron/ ironing boards. We also have those items available to all guest at the front desk. I will share your comments to the staff and ensure your next visit is a pleasant one.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I was in town for Lucha Tigre's 1 year anniversary. (this is a restaurant close by that I highly recommend)
My friends and I drove up and were staying the night to celebrate.

The hotel was close enough to many places....but was located off a weird street and we were lost
It was a decent, clean room and a good rate.
We asked the front desk agent for a taxi number and the number we got was a man who said he was too busy to come get us and I couldn't find any other means of transportation for 15 minutes.
After finally going out and coming back late, A group of about 10-15 of us (had 4 rooms) and as we got into our rooms, an employee there came up to or doors (before we even got into our rooms) and yelled at us saying we needed to get inside and be quiet before he made us leave!

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm big on customer service and that's the one complaint I have about this place!

Besides that the rate and room were great.
I guess you just have to ignore the rude staff, hopefully it was just that one bad experience. I'll still give them 4-stars

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for telling us about your experience while staying with us. I am very disappointed you did not feel welcome while staying. Here at the Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill, we want each of our guest to feel welcome, and comfortable while enjoying our inn. I will speak with our staff to ensure our future guest feel welcome and comfortable.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Used a GPS and missed it. Location was at a very busy interchange without markings to get to this hotel. Access was a block away, which was overgrown with weeds and not marked with any commercial sign. The Office was not directly apparent. Plumbing/water running, baby crying, and cleaning cart were noisy from above. In the next room a man was yelling a couple of times on our first day. In our room, the bathroom light/vent and air system were too loud to run during the night. The shower wall, back of toilet, and inside of microwave were not clean. The bathroom door was swollen and difficult to open & shut. Coffee in the lobby was fair while the counter was dirty. Positive: I was able to borrow an iron from the office, but they did not own an iron board. My bed & pillows were comfortable. Daily fees for an un-useable safe were added to our bill but removed upon request. This is not my idea of "Deluxe".

Room Tip: Bring your own coffee pot/supplies since there weren't provided in the room. Check your bill reg...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Nic M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for sharing your response regarding your past stay. I am very disappointed to hear your stay was not a pleasant one. At Red Roof we strive for every guest to have a comfortable, and enjoyable experience each time you stay at our property. Our Superior King rooms come standard with the microwave and mini- refrigerator, iron, ironing board, and hair dryer. All rooms come standard with FREE Wi-Fi and FREE local and long distance phone calls, and flatscreen televisions. I will share these comments with our staff to ensure all of our guests feel comfortable and delighted they chose the Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill.

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean, plenty of room. The staff from the front desk, to every house keeper made us feel very welcome. Our semi broke down and we had to be in the area until it was repaired. If we are in this area again, and need to stay in a Hotel again we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Nic M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Bill, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay whiloe at the Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill. Our staff takes pride in making each guest feel comfortable while traveling. I will share your comments with the staff and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Excellent service and terrific room for the money. Our room was very clean and even though we were near the Interstate, we could not hear any of the vehicle noise. Outstanding customer service. We liked it so well we stayed on a Thursday night and the following Tuesday after taking a short trip in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 525Diane
Nic M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you Diane for your kind words. Here at The Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill we love to provide great customer service with a clean, comfortable place for you to stay at a great price! Our staff looks forward to providing the same great service next time you are in the area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
7 mi away
#7 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Quality Inn Chapel Hill
Quality Inn Chapel Hill
#16 of 18 in Chapel Hill

Been to Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!