“An ok place to stay as long as you are not looking for anything fancy”
Review of The University Inn

The University Inn
Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Springbrook Township
“An ok place to stay as long as you are not looking for anything fancy”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The University Inn at Duke is an okay place to stay as long as you are not expecting anything fancy. Our room was large and comfortable and it did include a microwave and refrigerator. Their free Wi-Fi went down and it took us over a day to be able to get connected. The Continental Breakfast is just cold cereal, cold waffles that you could toast and pastries along with orange juice and coffee. The coffee was Maxwell House so that was good. As far as the staff everyone was very friendly and helpful so I would give them an excellent review. And, the price for the hotel is very reasonable so in a sense, we did get what we paid for. We would stay here again if we were visiting Durham and Duke University in the future.

Room Tip: Tell them Harold from HaroldSays referred you
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Havelock, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This was a great place to stay, close to the hospital and the staff was very helpful, it was a 2 min. walk to the hospital, the rooms were clean and very comfortable. They let us check in before check in time because we had traveled all night and were very tired. The curtains made the room very dark so you could sleep durning the day. The staff was very friendly and I will stay there again when my husband goes for his next surgery and his treatments. I would recommend this to anyone, it was recommended to us by friends and we were not dissappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Swiftwater, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Good: Close walking distance to hospital, cheaper than competing hotel next door. Comfortable room.
Not great: Breakfast setup was awkward. Duke University was close as the crow flies, but not easy to get to because hospital buildings were in the way.
Overall: I would stay there again if I had a family member in the hospital.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank LivetoTravelSwiftwat
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I had surgery at Duke and my family and I stayed at the University Inn since it is close to the hospital. Everyone there was great, helpful, friendly, courteous and kind. The price was reasonable for the two rooms I had to get and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I would most certainly stay there again. Thumbs Up!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Although i read mixed reviews about this hotel, we decided to chance it, based on the description of the large rooms (we were staying for access to Duke Hospital). I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the room, and overwhelmed by the very large, comfortable space---not only room for two double beds (quite comfortable), but sofa/lounge chair/TV area, plus kitchenette area. I thought it was a deal for the price. Staff, while not going out of their way to be chatty, were perfectly polite, courteous, and helpful. Another plus if you are staying there for close access to hospital, this hotel offers a free on-call shuttle to and from the hospital until 9 pm., which was incredibly helpful on the day it poured cold rain. We are not "Hilton Hotel" types; we are budget-hotel folks, but I would unhesitatingly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JulieAsheville
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 16 December 2010

My husband and I stayed one night due to bad road conditions and the need to be near the Duke Clinics. The room rate was $69 and reasonable, we thought. Continental breakfast is included in the rate; bagels, muffins, Eggo-s, juice, and coffee. Parking is free, and as others have noted, the spaces are narrow and limited. We had no problem getting a covered space, but here's a hint if parking is all taken; park across the street in the hospital garage for $6 for a 24 hour period. Yes, you'll have to pay, but at least you have a space.

The hotel reminds me of a old aunt's beach cottage. Dated, tired, but comfortable. The decor of the public spaces is nice and up to date, but the rooms are indeed dated. This is a polyester bedspread place - no duvets in site :) The first room we had the heat would not get warm. So, we switched to another room, kind of a suite, which was a much nicer room. I do not know what the upcharge is for this "suite" but it was bigger, and had a table with 2 chairs, a pullout sleeper sofa and a recliner (a saggy, old thing). All rooms have a microwave and dorm-style fridge. The bed was OK. The room was tired, but very clean. The bathroom was also very clean, and we had plenty of hot water. Room lighting was a bit funky, as it is There are ice, soda and vending machines on each floor. This is a pet-free, no smoking hotel. There is high-speed web access, but bring an ethernet cable - wifi is not available.

I thought the staff was a bit aloof but willing to please. They clearly understand the needs of their guests, and that the majority if not all guests are there because of the hospitals. They readily changed out my room when the heat did not work well. They even have a wheelchair if you need it. There is a free shuttle that takes you to the hospitals and clinics.

The only downer was that someone tried to get into our room at 6 am. Then, we had a phone call a couple of minutes later asking our name. I think what happened is that we had switched rooms, and housekeeping was not aware of the change.

All in all, I would stay here again if I needed a place to stay near Duke Hospital.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sassypantsgirl
Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My family was staying in Durham while a family member was having and recovering from surgery at Duke Hospital. During these trying times we stayed at the University Inn. The staff was attentive to our needs and genuinely seemed to care about our situation. The rooms were clean and spacious. Being that there maybe only 50 rooms you feel like your not just another face you truly feel like a guest. Parking is a little tight but manageable and the experience made it worth it. Our family will be returning and we would recommend the University Inn to anyone who needs a room at duke or surrounding area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business