“Huge, clean, comfortable space for decent price, 5 min. walk to hospital...”
Review of The University Inn

The University Inn
Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Although i read mixed reviews about this hotel, we decided to chance it, based on the description of the large rooms (we were staying for access to Duke Hospital). I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the room, and overwhelmed by the very large, comfortable space---not only room for two double beds (quite comfortable), but sofa/lounge chair/TV area, plus kitchenette area. I thought it was a deal for the price. Staff, while not going out of their way to be chatty, were perfectly polite, courteous, and helpful. Another plus if you are staying there for close access to hospital, this hotel offers a free on-call shuttle to and from the hospital until 9 pm., which was incredibly helpful on the day it poured cold rain. We are not "Hilton Hotel" types; we are budget-hotel folks, but I would unhesitatingly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JulieAsheville

Reviewed 16 December 2010

My husband and I stayed one night due to bad road conditions and the need to be near the Duke Clinics. The room rate was $69 and reasonable, we thought. Continental breakfast is included in the rate; bagels, muffins, Eggo-s, juice, and coffee. Parking is free, and as others have noted, the spaces are narrow and limited. We had no problem getting a covered space, but here's a hint if parking is all taken; park across the street in the hospital garage for $6 for a 24 hour period. Yes, you'll have to pay, but at least you have a space.

The hotel reminds me of a old aunt's beach cottage. Dated, tired, but comfortable. The decor of the public spaces is nice and up to date, but the rooms are indeed dated. This is a polyester bedspread place - no duvets in site :) The first room we had the heat would not get warm. So, we switched to another room, kind of a suite, which was a much nicer room. I do not know what the upcharge is for this "suite" but it was bigger, and had a table with 2 chairs, a pullout sleeper sofa and a recliner (a saggy, old thing). All rooms have a microwave and dorm-style fridge. The bed was OK. The room was tired, but very clean. The bathroom was also very clean, and we had plenty of hot water. Room lighting was a bit funky, as it is There are ice, soda and vending machines on each floor. This is a pet-free, no smoking hotel. There is high-speed web access, but bring an ethernet cable - wifi is not available.

I thought the staff was a bit aloof but willing to please. They clearly understand the needs of their guests, and that the majority if not all guests are there because of the hospitals. They readily changed out my room when the heat did not work well. They even have a wheelchair if you need it. There is a free shuttle that takes you to the hospitals and clinics.

The only downer was that someone tried to get into our room at 6 am. Then, we had a phone call a couple of minutes later asking our name. I think what happened is that we had switched rooms, and housekeeping was not aware of the change.

All in all, I would stay here again if I needed a place to stay near Duke Hospital.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sassypantsgirl
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My family was staying in Durham while a family member was having and recovering from surgery at Duke Hospital. During these trying times we stayed at the University Inn. The staff was attentive to our needs and genuinely seemed to care about our situation. The rooms were clean and spacious. Being that there maybe only 50 rooms you feel like your not just another face you truly feel like a guest. Parking is a little tight but manageable and the experience made it worth it. Our family will be returning and we would recommend the University Inn to anyone who needs a room at duke or surrounding area.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My wife was getting surgery at Duke Medical Center. I reserved two adjoing rooms and later called and added a room and asked for the foom to be with the other two. No problem I was told everything will be taken care of. After I made the reservation I asked the clerk if she wanted my card number and she said oh no you pay when you get here to check in and I said great see you then. My family arrived, the lady behind the counter was completely awful to my family, our rooms were in different places. We did not have adjoining rooms, roaches were crawling up the walls in one room, one of the rooms the bed linens had not been changed and in two of the rooms the bathtubs were filthy. When we called to get wake up calls we could not get an answer because they were all sitting outside smoking. This older lady on duty that night was completely unapologetic. My advice to anyone thinking of staying at the University Inn is not to go. The staff sucks and they don't care if you have a plesant stay or not. I will never show my face their again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Timothy47
Reviewed 16 October 2009

We used this hotel during a family member’s illness that was treated at Duke University Medical Center. The hotel is within walking distance and has “medical” rates. Check in was smooth. Parking is a nightmare. There is little to nowhere to park. Also, the parking spaces are entirely too small (I drive a compact SUV).
The beds were comfortable and the room was large. The room has a mini fridge. There is a basic continental breakfast served in the lobby. The staff is very nonchalant about everything.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needed quarters near the VA or Duke Medical Centers, however not to anyone else. Parking is that much of a nightmare.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank mkennedy38
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The rooms are clean, and very large. Bathroom is really small, but okay for a one or two night stay. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2009

The staff was wonderful & very understanding, especially the General Manager. We did not know if we would need another day until we met with the doctors at Duke. He gave us until 3 to have our bags out of the room or book another day (which was well past the check out time). It is a very simple place to stay, but it is very clean and comfortable. The rooms are enormous which is a VERY big plus. When you are already stressed, the last thing you need is to be cramped up on top of each other. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. Would recommend over & over. My family has stayed here several times over the last 13 years & have ALWAYS had the same type of experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business