“Wonderful property”

Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The good... Well managed. Excellent staff. the onsite bar is excellent. Great location for getting to duke events, chapel hill and downtown Durham. Excellent golf course. Rooms were in pretty good condition.

The bad...Didn't like the breakfast buffet at all. Not much to criticize other than that.

1  Thank Beach G

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed at the Washington Duke Inn recently when in town for business at Research Triangle Park. The hotel itself is very classical and despite the age of some of the furniture, the hotel is kept extremely clean and I found the entire hotel and grounds to be very enjoyable. Staff was all very pleasant and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. Wi-Fi was a bit sketchy in some areas of the hotel and stopped working at 10:30 two nights in a row which was frustrating when trying to catch up on work. Overall a very convenient location whether visiting Duke or other campuses and close to Research Triangle Park without having to stay at a chain hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms all have a good view but ask for a view overlooking the Golf course
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My son and I stayed at the Washington Duke during a visit to the colleges in the Research Triangle Park area. The hotel is located very close to the West Campus across from the athletic fields. Its 300 acres are beautifully landscaped. Check in was efficient, although I found the service level at the rest of the hotel superior to the desk staff. We had a room with two double beds, very comfortable with nice amenities. The room had a Keurig coffee maker so it classifies as the only hotel I've stayed at with decent in-room coffee. (Free coffee is available in the Bull Durham Bar in the morning.) We had a very good, though somewhat expensive, dinner in the Bull Durham the evening of our arrival. The atmosphere was relaxed, and my only wish was that the weather had been a bit nicer because the view of the golf course from the patio was wonderful. My crab cakes were very good, my son enjoyed his steak. Dessert was outstanding and there is a nice wine list.
Breakfast was in the vista room. There is a full buffet, although we ordered from the menu. The time it took to prepare two simple breakfasts is my only real complaint - it took well over 35 minutes to make French toast for my son and eggs over easy for me. Once they arrived it was delicious. Our breakfast was included in our room rate so I can't comment on the cost. We self-parked but Valet service is available for $10 a night.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Durham.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We went to the DUGC for some light dinner ... appetizers, drinks and dessert. It is not an inexpensive place to dine but we didn't expect it to be. Our drinks ranged from $8 - $13 each. Our cheese tray, with a nice variety, was $12 and our desserts were each $8. Everything was well prepared and scrumptious. The service was extremely attentive but not overbearing. We spent over $100 on our light dinner (mostly on drinks) and found it was well worth it. A nice family get together in an quiet outdoor atmosphere overlooking the golf course ... priceless.

Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

This place is welcoming, old southern charm and first class all the way! Right across the street from Duke basketball and football facilities. The hotel is classy, yet warm and friendly. Feels like home! We had a suite, which was very spacious and nice with two baths. We also had a two queen room for the teenagers. Everything was great! The Bull Durham Bar was my favorite bar ever - Angel was the most attentive bar tender and server I've ever had. The breakfast was very good as we're the appetizers in the bar. The only bad thing about this hotel was the indoor pool. It was loud, with little kids screaming and no opportunity to enjoy the incredible views of the outdoors and the gold course.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I hosted a business meeting here last month. The facilities and staff were outstanding. Very modern conference phone and LCD projector. Those who called in to listen to our meeting were very pleased with the voice quality of the equipment, which is often a problem at other business hotels. The meeting room was spacious and comfortable. We had a delicious hot breakfast; service was wonderful. Everyone was very happy with the rooms and the grounds. There is a nature trail around the property that received rave reviews from my colleagues. I would definitely return with my business group.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank fishcrazycpa
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Fortunate to have this resort for a recent business trip. Resort grounds were impressive upon arrival with lots of historical memorabilia sprinkled through the resort honoring the famous Duke Family. Oppulently furnished with lots of "quiet nooks" throughout the facility, beautiful grounds to explore, a nicely accommodated gym, and several dining options (although pricey). I had a king bedroom suite with a nice well-furnished living room area with desk and french doors leading into a lavishly decorated king bedroom. View from my room was less than spectacular because I had a 2nd floor room with an obstructed view (RM 262). I'm sure other rooms have some great views of the golf course and other views of the well-maintained grounds.

Although dining was a bit pricey, the food was well-seasoned and service was top-notch.
The Chopped Salad in Bull Durham Bar is HUGE so it's best to have a big appetite. Breakfast buffet was about $19, but if you order from the menu, the service is rather quick and the serving sizes are quite filling and can save you some $$. The golf course snack bar (near the driving range and called "Nineteen" is the best bang for the buck for a quick, casual bite to eat. Eating area is outdoors and informal, but the food is the same food they offer inside the hotel for VERY affordable prices.

I would gladly return to this hotel to enjoy the "Lap of Luxury", but unfortunately it's outside my family's typical price range. Perhaps I'll be fortunate to have another business conference and I can bring my husband along. :)

Room Tip: The Chopped Salad in Bull Durham Bar is HUGE so it's best to have a big appetite. Breakfast buf...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business